Advice on bigger knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
So chaps, I have, for a while wanted a larger end knife. Maybe it's the little kid in me that wants a big shiney knife - I don't know but iv been looking a lot recently. I own several knifes, my favourite, and most used is my timber wolf that I brought as a kit and my dad and I made it as a project. (Link below if you are interested)

Anyway, I'm looking at all the big knifes such as the Bowie, and thinking 'yes I want that size knife' but really I have no knowledge of what makes a knife of that size good, I mean, what am I looking for in a 'good' big knife? Or would I be better served to start looking at Damascus knifes (also on my wish list).
Anyway your thoughts would be appreciated. budget wise, I don't want to spend loads but I would rather spend more and buy once if ha know what I mean :)

Timberwolf knife kit http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...ers-handle-fittings--firesteel-kit-7466-p.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
How about a sami knife?

Leuku.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd have a wee think on what you want to use it for. In the multitude of blades I've had over the years there's been some big ones, but they were usually task or at least work specific for me.

On the bigger blade front something like a kukri is an excellent knife where heavy duty chopping tasks are to the fore. I used a few in my forestry days though my main tool eventually became a billhook which I still use as a general purpose type blade for a whole gamut of camp tasks from felling small trees, clearing brush and processing fire wood.

But I must admit that a lot of the larger blades I have/had aren't really used that much these days, I find a smaller knife is easier to handle/use and a lot easier to carry and explain as to why I'm carrying it. That doesn't take away from wanting to own one just for the sake of it. I still lust after a Chris Reeve Jerboam; even though I know in my heart that it's not the sort of knife I'd usually use it just speaks to the kid at heart I was in the 80's when I first saw them.

One thing I'd think about if you are going for a Bowie style knife if that a lot of them despite being fairly chunky looking have very thin stick tangs and wont stand up to heavy chopping. (Though again I've always fancied a Brass Backed Bowie for the collection)

If you're just looking for something larger to do a bit of heavy chopping and don't want to spend lots have a look at a billhook, though there's lots of knives out there to have a look at, I'm sure the folks here will come up with loads of ideas. Might also be worth speaking to one of the knife makers and see what they can make you that would fit your specs perfectly.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What you want it for should determine the tool. A khukri or bill hook is a heavy chopping knife great for shelter building. A leuku style saami knife is a much lighter tool. Great for cutting vegetation for bedding or thatch, acting as a knife for carving joints of meat.

What are you planning on using it for?

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Well ideally, I'd like it to do some heavier chopping and splitting, but I want to be able to get up and do some finer things with it. I'm not sure whether that is starting to move towards survival knife, I'm not entirely sure of the line between :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
One of the things that makes a good big knife is exactly the same thing that makes a good little knife: quality (how well is it made?) I'd also consider the materials used and are they suitable for your climate and intended use (the same old considerations of carbon steel vs stainless, handle materials, etc.)

I like bowies (a lot!) but I'd avoid them for a knife that will primarily be used for chopping. Most of them are just too thin bladed and thus too light for that although there are exceptions. They're more of a general purpose knife than they are a chopper. Like Gb said, a khukuri is good for chopping. I'd also have a look at an MOD knife for that as it's a bit beefier.

Another question you need to ask yourself is "how big is big?" to me anything less than 5" is only a medium knife between 5" and 7" isn't really all that big either. Above 7" you really have to ask even more about just what you'll be using it for in order to pick one wisely. Over 10" and I'd probably go for a machete for it's more general use nature although they too are a bit thin and light for chopping or splitting.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You won't find a knife that can do heavy chopping that is great for fine work, the requirements are too far apart. Best to plan on a small fixed blade to accompany the big knife.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
So after looking about, I think I want something between 6" and 9". Anything more than a 9" blade I wouldn't really have a good excuse to carry it about with me, unless I'm on a campout. Anything less than 6" I may as well just use my current one! I'm going to look at some camp knives later :)
I'm liking the look of the cold steel outdoorsman!

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
So after looking about, I think I want something between 6" and 9". Anything more than a 9" blade I wouldn't really have a good excuse to carry it about with me, unless I'm on a campout. Anything less than 6" I may as well just use my current one! I'm going to look at some camp knives later :)

as said anything over 7 inchs is pretty big, a compromise could be a thicker 6 or 7 inch blade? 6mm maybe retianing a fine tip and the ability to butt up against the cutting edge with a finger choil

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE

Which one? The C-S Outdoorsman would make a poor chopper/all round user in any form IMO.

Either way you would be better putting your money into something made to your own specs if you can, the guy in post #11 would be a good place to start looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE