Advice on an old sewing machine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tmt77

Oct 20, 2008
Exeter
Hello All.

The better looking half of my household has just received this beauty from a older relative.

She is keen to put it to use, so would be very grateful for some info from those in the know.

The leather drive belt is old and cracked, can anyone suggest a suitable replacement?

Is there any significant difference in technique to a modern electric variety?

Any other info on likely age, weight/capability or does and don’ts would be great.

ATB
Tom F502BF6B-C7C1-4555-AB78-5DCD5C899A1B.jpegBC6ADD37-0E7A-4AF6-BB36-0292D4EA5CB5.jpeg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
l learned to sew on one like that :)
They are beautifully balanced machines, unlike the majority of modern ones.
They need cleaned often, because oos builds up....it's a kind of felt from tiny, tiny fibres of the fabric and thread. It's worth doing it because it stops the bobbin and feeddogs from running smoothly.
They also need oiled ....the oiling ports are quite obvious....fairly often.
They also sew better when they're slightly warm. It's worthwhile setting up a standard lamp where it will shine down on it, even if modern led lights are often more useful to position.

New drive belts are fairly easy to come by. Loads of them on eBay. Measure carefully and write the number down and keep it to hand in one of the drawers.
Similarly the bobbins.

Buy decent needles. Modern Singer ones are made in China like most others. Schmetz ones however aren't and are worth the price difference. Buy a big pack for economy if the machine is going to be used often. I buy packs of 50 or 100 and it really does drop the price per needles, and since I have spares I don't end up frustrated trying to use a needle that really ought to have been put in the Dead Sharps tin.

There are masses of spare parts available for such machines, and loads of different feet and stitch guides.
To be honest I'd get used to sewing with it first before even thinking about buying other parts.

The feed dogs on the old machines are quite dainty things. They are very good for accuracy, but it's worth learning to use a snippet when sewing. Basically it's a tiny scrap of fabric ( an inch square works fine) that takes the first stitches and lets the rest of the fabric sew smoothly, another is added at the end of the seam and left under the presser foot to start the next one. It becomes just the way you use the machine, and it saves such an amount of thread. It's an old fashioned trick that's making a comeback because so many modern machines snag the fabric and stuff the beginning down into the feeddogs instead of letting it through smoothly.
When that machine was made folks didn't waste thread, so using the snippets was common.

Having said all that, there are loads of folks on here who restore these old machines and I'm sure they'll have much better advice about that than I can offer.

Have fun :)

M

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you don't want to use the treadle, you can buy an electric motor that should just screw onto the back. Mine actually came with an adapter that uses the treadle plate as a pedal for the electric motor but it looked like a vintage item and I don't use it anyway as I've set it into a table.

As Toddy said, keep it oiled and it will do sterling work. Don't know what model it is (doesn't have an obvious reversing lever like my 201K) but they're properly built. When they say (of a car engine) "running like a sewing machine" they're talking about Singers. Probably.

Reactions: Toddy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You can buy replacement leather belts off of ebay and they're not very expensive either. Just do a search for treadle sewing machine replacement drive belts.

Servicing is very easy and there's lots of videos telling you how to. I found these very good, the example being shown is a hand crank machine but the rest of the machine is relevant for you.

tmt77

Oct 20, 2008
Exeter
Thanks all,

A wealth of great advice, Toddy you are a goldmine of information as ever.

I will give it an oil and a look over and hopefully get it up and running.

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
Before buying anything I'd just hand crank it with a little thread to see if the timing is right and the feed dogs drag the fabric through. All bits are available but it's an effort to sort.

If you're planning on using the treadle (i would) you can just buy the leather by the metre and it'll come with a staple to make it into a loop. Trim to size.

Some decent thread and needles and you're good to go.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Look at the serial number and check it here:

There are different tables depending on if the number has letter prefixes. You can look up the date and place of manufacture.
I think I'll have to try and remember this link for when lockdown ends. I grew up with my mum using an old hand powered singer that I've always wondered how old it was. It comes in a box that you put on any table before lifting the outer box off to use. The handle on the wheel at the side was used to power it. Amazing machine IMHO.

Btw plus one on the schmetz needles. We use them on industrial machines, actually Chinese copies of brother sewing machines. Well worth the little extra cost.

Not sure if it's allowed but there's a sewing machine shop in Blackburn called Hobkirks. If you need parts they might be able to help. They're industrial but also domestic market and even have a shop in Blackburn when the lockdown allows it to open. Family owned for many decades and a few generations. I've got no connection but they're very good at helping us out considering we're not sewing machine experts.

Since writing the bit above about my mum's sewing machine somebody posts a link to a cleaning video that shows an almost identical model. I hope she still has it.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Another company is college sewing, they have a huge stock of parts. Reasonable prices I believe.

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
As mentioned the drive belt and staple is easily sourced on ebay. just search for leather drive belt sewing machine. It normaly comes in long lengths and you cut to size and join with the sort of staple, handy to keep the old staple just as a spare. Treat the leather belt like any other prized leather object.
If its your first time sewing, take things easy and keep your fingers clear. If you do fit an electric motor be careful with your size 11 feet, these were designed for women with small and delicate feet and they respond accordingly. Your first project could be a wee cover to keep all the dust ect out when not in use. designed like an upside down box.
If you are new to this, you could practice on a piece of paper with lines drawn on to practice your speed control, following straight lines and curves. Stopping at a corner, right on the mark. When turning at 90 degrees it is best to leave the needle at its lowest point, lift the presser foot and rotate your work piece, pivoting it on the needle, get it lined up then put the presser foot back down and start agin. You dont need to thread the machine for this. If its got reverse, then this is handy for finishing off. When trying to stop at a corner you can stop using the motor and control the machine with the wheel(Sorry, I may not be using the correct terminoligy!) Dry different thickness of material and thread, this will have an effect on tension. You have a top and bottom tension. You DONT want to be able to see one straight thread on either side, as if this breaks you can pull the whole thing out. The thread should cross over hidden in the material.
When you are finished, switch off, raise the needle to its highest point and lift the presser foot. This will release the tension and allow you to move your work away and cut the top and bottom threads, allow enough length to tie them off.
Get a box for keeping all your related items in, a box for spare bobbins, specific scissors, different coloured spools.
Youtube has a tutorial for near enough everything and the library if opened should have plenty of books on sewing. Its a whole new skill, and there is more than one way to skin a cat. Enjoy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE