Bought an old Sewing Machine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Some time ago whilst out with a friend, visiting one of his friends, we were stood in his garage having a chat. The garage was crammed to the rafters with all manner of stuff and he was having a bit of a clear out. I happened to notice a 'box with a handle' in the corner and asked, 'Is that a sewing machine' vaguely remembering one my mother had (50+ years ago). 'It is', he said, 'And it's yours for £15'. He assured me it was complete and working so I bought it, not because I needed a sewing machine but because I thought it was beautiful thing.
It is a Singer, handwheel-operated, table-top model and, as far as I know (checked serial number on-line) it is a No. 128. The instruction book that came with it is entitled Nos. 127 & 128.
I thought, here is a project for when the evenings grow longer, and even if I just knock up a few stuff-bags I will recoup the cost plus have the pleasure of making something for myself.
Now all I've got to do is ..... learn how to use it!
I tried a local womens' sewing group, but none them had ever used an old machine, in fact they all had electric machines. My next step is to trawl YouTube for a 'how-to' video.

Here are two pics, first is the carry-case:

P1010980_zpsqt9mpmsp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

... and the machine itself:

P1010982_zpsuljl8usg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
That is an absolutely splendid find, but fifteen quid was daylight robbery! It should have been a lot more than that!

It's not so common to find one which still has the instruction book, that's a good sign.

Everything OK underneath? No rust problems? Looks good on top.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Not often you see the decals in such good condition on these machines - that's a beauty, and it's obviously been well cared for. Years of use left in that one.

You should be able to find yards of instructional stuff on the 'tube, the basic principles of sewing are the same whatever machine you're using, and the individual characteristics of your machine will be covered in the handbook.

Good luck with your new adventure and let us know how you get on with it :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
No rust that I can see. The handwheel turns very smoothly. Heres a pic of the underside: ...

Yup, that looks great.

I was a little concerned that you said it was in somebody's garage, but either it's a very dry garage or it hasn't been in there for long, or even both!

That's a really, really wonderful find. With proper care it will outlast the both of us.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
super nice, that is a beauty :)
yeah get some help :) :)
I bought a pfaff 130 some weeks ago but never managed to get a proper underthread. I spend 4 hours on it..... I prefer sewing by hand :) So I ended up giving it to a female neighbour... got some nice sweets cackes as a gift back :)

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Just get the right needles and you will be away. Mine is good for cloth, canvas and light leather. There is something almost meditative about the smooth tick and click when you use these old machines. Looked after they shouldnt ever wear out, mines a hundred years old and is smooth as silk. 😄 (mine was 15quid too!)

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I brought a mid 60's, domestic machine a few years ago. Think it was three quid off ebay, as the text said that they just could not get it to sew.
Quite a heavily built thing, from the pre-plastic days.

A friend was over visiting and we started tinkering with it. By midnight (and a bottle of scotch later) we had sorted out where someone had assembled it wrongly and got it going.
It was at that point that I exclaimed "Do you realise that we, two middle aged blokes have just spent the whole evening playing with a sewing machine!"
My friend corrected me.... "Ah, but there was the key word.... Machine!"

But the advice as already given, get the right needles for the cloth and the thread size. Get good thread, cheap stuff can be quire hairy under the magnifying glass. The key seems to be, getting it to leave that little loop under the cloth, as the needle retracts, which the bobbin carrier can hook into.
But there is loads of info/videos out there.

Jules

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE