advice needed for leather work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hiker

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Liverpool
Hi everyone

Ive been thinking about making stuff out of leather for ages ,sheaths , pouches , things like that , ive been reading the old threads from rapidboy and others who have masterd the art , and i feel i have a clear idea now how to go about it .

So i am about to put my order into Le Prevo for.

Awl blade 2" what size is best

Sewing awl handle

pack of needles no 2 or 3 what size is best

Reel of linen thread

Block of beeswax

Over stitch wheel

Gripstop latex adhesive

Adjustable stitch groover

Steel square

some buckles

Leather strip 44 by 8 inches is it better to buy the untreated leather and dye it myself , which gives the best finish

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Looks like you have everything covered in that list. That is a large awl, you will have to sharpen it and shape it down a little. I use no. 1 needle with 18/3 thread and no. 2/0 needle with 18/5. Not sure if the other needles works as well, don't have them to compare.

Are you using the buckles for closure? I think you might want to get some sam browne stud or spring studs to try. You'll need the tools as well if you want to try the spring studs.

Good luck

singteck

Edit: for leather, get the Vegetable tanned leather, it's just more convenient and you can do a lot more with it.

Hiker

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Liverpool
Thanks Singteck

Yes i do want the buckles for closure ill have a look at the sam brown studs.

Veg tanned leather it is then what dyes would you recomend i just had a quick look at your leather work :You_Rock_ what colour dye did you use on your axe sheaths as thats the colour i am after .

What size awl do you use .

Many thanks Hiker...

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I get the smallest awl because I don't want the hole too large. You can down side the 2" awl for the same result and get more reach with it. But the small one works for me.

The leather dyed used is Fiebing professional Oil Dye. The large axes uses brown, the mini is black. Glad you like them.

I find buckle cumbersome to use, that's why I recomended the studs.

singteck

leon-1

Things like thread, the amount of stitches to an inch (use of the overstitch wheel or pricking iron), the size of the needles, the size of sam browne studs and press studs can be greatly dependant on the grade of leather that you use.

If you are using 3mm thick or greater look towards using an overstitch wheel that provides 5 marks to an inch. On 3.2mm veg tanned I am using med sized Sam Browne studs, I also use a min of 18/3 thread.

On leather which is finer, 1mm or so, look at using finer thread 25/3 is quite good, you also tend to use more stitches to an inch 7 - 10 and obviously the needle size changes.

On 5mm I have been using Synthetic thread, like tiger thread, or 15/4 linen thread and I stick to the 5 to an inch on the overstitch wheel.

Hiker

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Liverpool
Many thanks for your help guys.

The leather i am going to order is 3mm veg tanned and the linen thread is 18/3 . I am going to get a smaller awl and 1 needles .

Your are right Singteck about buckles being cumbersome , i have been looking at press studs on le prevo are they easy to fit and how is it done ? sorry for sounding dim but i need a clear idea in my head to visualise the procedure. The press studs i was looking at are the f18 and f19 small ring spring , cup size 15mm what do you think.

Also how do you finish of after dyeing the leather do you use polish or wax or somthing else .

Thanks again

Hiker.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Hiker said:
Many thanks for your help guys.

The leather i am going to order is 3mm veg tanned and the linen thread is 18/3 . I am going to get a smaller awl and 1 needles .

Your are right Singteck about buckles being cumbersome , i have been looking at press studs on le prevo are they easy to fit and how is it done ? sorry for sounding dim but i need a clear idea in my head to visualise the procedure. The press studs i was looking at are the f18 and f19 small ring spring , cup size 15mm what do you think.

Also how do you finish of after dyeing the leather do you use polish or wax or somthing else .

Thanks again

Hiker.

No problem mate... we all started out dim :D or I did anyway :p

If you are getting the press studs, you will need the corresponding tool for it. For the f18 and f19, you will need tool T14. The only stud I use is the F02 B/B from leprevo, solid brass for the quality. A little more to pay for the time and afford put into the leather work.

You will also need to get a hole pouch to make the holes for the stud. I have a 1/8" that I use for press studs. For sam browne, you will need that and another...... depending on the sam browne size.

All you have to do in punch the holes, put the parts together and bang it close with the setting tool and die. Couldn't be simpler.

You can use polish or wax or neatfoot oil or other product to finish it. But I don't. Just polish it with a dry cloths usually works for me. All depends in what you are going to use it for.

Hope that helps

singteck

Hiker

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Liverpool
Thanks Singteck

Im going to go for the for FO2 b/b solid brass studs . For the hole punch i looked for the 1/8 and couldnt find it do you think [ TO6 ] pliers with 6 hole sizes on wheel will do the job ?

There is so much stuff to choose from i cant see the woods for the trees although its becoming clearer by your e mails .

I had a proper look at your leather work im very impressed and inspired by it how long have you been working with leather , if i can get even close i will be happy .

Hiker

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Good choice on the brass studs. The pliers will do and you get all the small sizes that you might need. If you need to punch a hole further away from the edge, you can alway set the plier and use a mallet to strick it on the leather. Individual pouch is stronger, last longer and more versatile.

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/holepunch.html

Don't try to buy everything in one go! Get the basic tools first and pick up more along the way. I have been doing it, on and off, for 3 years now but only seriously since early this year. Glad you like my stuff :D

singteck

Hiker said:
Hi everyone

Ive been thinking about making stuff out of leather for ages ,sheaths , pouches , things like that , ive been reading the old threads from rapidboy and others who have masterd the art , and i feel i have a clear idea now how to go about it .

So i am about to put my order into Le Prevo for.

Awl blade 2" what size is best

Sewing awl handle

pack of needles no 2 or 3 what size is best

Reel of linen thread

Block of beeswax

Over stitch wheel

Gripstop latex adhesive

Adjustable stitch groover

Steel square

some buckles

Leather strip 44 by 8 inches is it better to buy the untreated leather and dye it myself , which gives the best finish

I'd be happy to ask Mrs. Too Much Kit To Carry for you - she is a saddler. Not sure if she has any spare kit going up for sale at the moment?

Phil.

Hiker

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Liverpool
Well i think im just about ready to go and order now.

Thanks for the offer to much kit to carry but im going to order it new , when i get to know the tools a bit better i would be interested to know what your mrs has for sale mabey we could swap if i have bought somthing that doesnt suit my needs but she could use.

Im suprised how cheap some of the stuff is , i had this vision before i started looking into it that i would have to spend big bucks to get going but no and once i have it i just need to replace the leather i use .

Many thanks again ill be letting you know how i get on

Hiker.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE