Advice for self catering please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mbatham

I am going on the Woodlore Camp Craft course 1st till the 5th August. This course is self cateering and I am required to use a stove, not an open fire.

I am unsure as to what to take and prepare for each meal. So far I have decided, on poridge and dried fruit for my breakfasts but I need help for the rest of my meals. Does any one have any suggestions?

Cheers

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
I did this course April 2004.

You say that you are required to use a stove and not a fire, do you know this for a fact? I know that the kit list says that you need a stove to cook on however we used fires all the time both in our pairs and later teams.

I only used my stove for speed alongside the fire.

Another interesting point to note was that we built shelters using two hootchi's over a ridge pole and were encouraged to use them. My tent became a kit store for the week.

I would suggest that you check with Woodlore about the fires and shelters as this might affect you choice of kit.

If your course is the same as mine I would recommend taking a bivi bag. You really do only need what is on the kit list.

As far as food goes I made up bags of muesli with powdered milk to take. For main meals I combined pasta or rice with small tins of macarel or sardines or a packet tomato sauce and a pepperami. I took some apples and chocolate bars for treats.

I also took tea and coffee etc. but didn''t use it as a brew box was supplied. It would be worth checking this out with Woolore as well.

Cheers

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Generally I would suggest the following;

Only eat food you know you will enjoy

If it can be cooked in a single pan, so much the better ( irecommend the a book called The One Pan Gourmet. Here is a link for Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...59603?coliid=IZF8NY9QSKE9Y&colid=ESY1910FJ86L )

If you are being active you want good levels of carbs - rice is my favorite but pasta is easy to cook as well.

If you are on the move, avoid carrying tins and packaging as they weight you down. Pack you ingedients into several plastic bags so that each meal's components are together.

I tend to opt for a good breakfast (porridge and dried fruit is good), snacks or sandwiches for lunch and the main meal in the evening. Again it depends on if you are on the move or not. If yes, have regular snacks to keep energy levels up (if you eat 5-7 times a day on a hike that is good)

Drink lots of water (flavoured if desired) as food, especially protein needs lots of water to aid digestion and that stops you getting dehydrated.

Hope that helps

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i favour cous-cous over rice, it's easier to cook. just pour boiling water over it and leave it. i often add a stock cube, chilli flakes, chopped up and pepperami. very quick and very tasty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE