Advice about the dreaded eveil bay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Hi folks, looking for some advice as I've not been in this situation before.

I sold an item on ebay and before I sent it, gave it a clean checked it over and found it to be sound. Wrapped said item a teleconverter in its padded case, wrapped in plenty of bubble wrap in a padded envelope and then into a plastic envelope from the post office - basically as I would want someone to send something to me. Posted off special delivery.

Buyer receives and post good feedback about excellent purchase and service. All happy me thinks

Then I get a message that the item is faulty and a refund to include postage costs is wanted.

Now I know there are many knowledgeable people on here and before I get to involved with precedings wonders if anyone has had similar experience and could offer some advice.

I like to think that I have sound judgement and feel I am very honest, and this leaves you a bit deflated so to speak

Thanks all

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Have they described the fault? If not and you think they are lying, take it to Ebay and it will be up to the buyer to get independant confirmation of the fault. If it is indeed faulty and you are happy with that, then first get the item back and then refund the money. If they have damaged it themselves, then Ebay will back you up. You just need to gather the facts.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Thanks for that, the complaint is for loose glass and a rattle - none of which the item had when I sent it, and I cleaned it before it went. The feedback first compliant second makes me a little cautious about things. But thanks for the advice, I will certainly make sure all facts are clear before I act.

Thanks again

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I'd find out what camera they are using, and then find out if your teleconverter would ever work on it, it may not work on their system. That is/was not you problem. Speak to the person though eBay, and only through eBay.

Conan257

Jan 21, 2011
Lincoln
Should you decide it's all legitimate and it was either damaged before you sent it or it got damaged in the mail, then i'd suggest getting the buyer to send it back to you and refund them the original costs of the sale. ie, winning amount & p+p (this should be the amount which he sent you by paypal or whatever).As far as I understand (and I have exercised this with computer parts that worked when I sent, but didn't work when they arrived), you do not have to refund the postage fee's for the buyer to send it back to you. You can refund this is if you feel like it, but it isn't a requirement.

Conan257

Jan 21, 2011
Lincoln
Cant edit posts so apologies for the extra one...Hopefully he has saved the packaging. If so you COULD try and launch a complaint with royal mail to the effect that the item was damaged during their care.You'd need to prove that it was sufficiently protected. Not an easy course of action, but one you might want to try.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Get the item back before you issue the refund. Check the item is the same one you sent them as some people try it on and return a different item. Also if they have left feedback already without checking the item thats there downfall.

Firstly contact ebay and ask there advice especially if feedback has already been given. My guess is they bought the item and its not compatable with there camera.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Was it covered, value wise with the postage? as another way to go about this, if you think foul play is suspected, is to post the 'Proof of Posting' (after photocopying it for your records) via 'Signed For' and get the buyer to make the claim himself (after all, he was the one who paid for the postage).
Not sure that camera lenses are covered though, but he should have made sure he was happy with the shipping you offered.
The unfortunate thing is that if he goes through Paypal he will probably win, as most of the time they tend to side with the buyers. The one thing that may help you is the fact that he left the + feedback, you could argue that he should have satisfied himself before leaving it.
Hope you get it sorted out.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Have the buyer return the item and refund him his original high bid and postage. The return postage of the item is his expense and ebay & paypal will confirm this.
If you pay the return postage insist that the buyer agrees to cancel the transaction (then you can claim a Full Value Fee refund, which is the fee you pay when your sale completes(abt 10% of selling price)). If you make the buyer return the item at his expense to get his refund it is unlikely that he will agree to cancel the transaction and you won't get your FVF refund .

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I did send it via RMSD but as the buyer has said the packaging he has looks ok and agrees it seemed to be packaged fine, I think this may be a last option.

The interesting part is that now the fault seems to have developed being initially an 'excellent purchase' to parts actually coming off the lens. I'm a little confused about it at present.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Think this will go to e bay s 'case' system as the buyer has now confirmed that the item they were originally happy with now seems to be in 2 pieces. . . all because of the lens cap. . .

I can't help but feel a bit low here as the item was sent in good condition in good faith - after being happy with it, they now want a refund for a broken item. Not sure that seems fair to me

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
If they have given you good feedback they must have taken a good luck at the item and were happy with it at the time before leaving feedback.For a buyer to complain about a defective item the day after i personally would be cautious.Your obviously a decent bloke to be particular about wrapping it with plenty of protection and sending it RMSD but ebay and some members can be testing.Ive had two past issues ,1 i sold and 1 i bought,on both occasions ebay ruled in my favour.
Hope you get this sorted mate.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
When I had a complaint about a perfect item I sent, I told the buyer to expect not only correspondence from ebay but my solicitors too after they threatened me with a dispute and to give neg' feedback.

I knew I was in the right,never heard another peep from them.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
That sounds like a good plan, I haven't had a response from them yet, but have stood firm as I know the item was in good nick and working when I sent it, I cleaned it and tested it on my rig.

We'll see what happens next!

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
I had a similar thing before;
Sold a smart phone on eBay, after a week the buyer complained it hadn't arrived, so I told him that as I had sent it royal mail guaranteed next day delivery I could get proof of delivery. He still complained that anyone could of signed for it, so I told him I would call HTC and get the phone canceled as I had written down the phones IMEI number (I had actually done this), and he responded within an hour saying the phone had just turned up!
He then gave me positive feedback for the phone, then the next day the buyer complained that the phone was damaged and there was a massive scratch on the screen. He sent me a picture and I knew that it wasn't the phone I'd sent him as mine had a small scuff on a button, that wasn't on the picture of the phone he sent me.
I told him I had pictured the phone and taken a video of it before and after packing as proof of the condition of the phone and the packing (I hadn't actually done this), and I never heard another word from him.

Some people just like to try it on!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE