Advanced Explorer First Aid Course - Special Offer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
That is what I asked before.

I am happy for the administrators to contact me about administration issues, I just don't
want to receive advertising.

I originally only asked how to turn off advertising emails, but other people seemed to have
widened the scope, and since they have, where in the Ts and Cs did I agree to bulk
unsolicited email advertising?

First Aid isn't particularly relevant to bushcrafters - no more so than teachers or bricklayers
or sailors or dancers or policemen or tennis players or car-drivers or parents or alcoholics
etc.

Unfortunately I don't know if it's that option to turn it off, as someone else said, this is the first time I've received an email from BCuk.

However saying you don't need first aid as a bushcraft, is a bit like saying you don't need an umbrella - fine until it starts raining, or in bushcraft terms, until you or someone else hurts themselves. But that's your opinion - many people will disagree with you, but that's neither her nor there. You don't want to receive any emails from BCuk. Although, you should have posted in the 'How do I ' section of the forums as to not hijack this thread.. too late now.. :rolleyes:

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Unfortunately I don't know if it's that option to turn it off, as someone else said, this is the first time I've received an email from BCuk.

However saying you don't need first aid as a bushcraft, is a bit like saying you don't need an umbrella - fine until it starts raining, or in bushcraft terms, until you or someone else hurts themselves. But that's your opinion - many people will disagree with you, but that's neither her nor there. You don't want to receive any emails from BCuk. Although, you should have posted in the 'How do I ' section of the forums as to not hijack this thread.. too late now.. :rolleyes:

Please don't put words in my mouth.

I didn't say bushcrafters (or that I) don't need it, I said it is
not any more relevant to bushcrafters than to many other
groups of people.

As for highjacking this thread, since the email to me was
directly concerned with this thread, since the person sending
the email was quite likely to read this thread, and less likely
to read the 'How To' section, and since a simple 'this is how
you turn it off' response to my original one line post would
have been sufficient and since the link in the email sent me
to this thread, this doesn't seem too bad a place to put it.

If the thread has been diverted, it is because there was no
answer to my original post and because other people
(like you) picked up the topic (without answering my
question) and I answered.

First Aid isn't particularly relevant to bushcrafters - no more so than teachers or bricklayers
or sailors or dancers or policemen or tennis players or car-drivers or parents or alcoholics
etc.

I see...as a retired paramedic who has been called out to no end of people medically disabled by serious injuries sustained out in the wilds I would beg to differ,but what would I know.

The course is actually an 'advanced explorer first aid course' and also approved HSE which means its recognized and relevent for you at your place of work too.However I would think the clue is in the course description. If you are out on any camp/trek or bushcraft expedition a long way away from help a life may depend on companions knowing what to do. Even in the UK and maybe an hour away from a rescue helicopter to attend, if you fell and shattered a bone which severed a major artery which is very common in upper leg fractures you can be in serious trouble,if its an open arterial bleed without help you can bleed to death in as little as 6 minutes.Also since many bushcrafters carry large knives, machetes or other nasty sharp things its not so far fetched but of course this has no relevance to a bushcrafter.. I forgot.

And I wasn't being pedantic in pointing out the reasons you may have logically received the mail you don't want.I posted it for your info to hopefully help you(and others if relevent) and a pointer as to how you may disable the function in your profile.Alternatively contact admin as was sensibly suggested by others and ask. I would quite understand if you were deluged with spam from BCUK everyday and I would have cause to complain at this too but the odd one is hardly a major offensive intrusion.

Peace.

I am Very interested in doing the course as part of mountain leader training. I have no previous first aid experience
Ho do i contact about my suitability for this course

Many thanks

James

James
I can only speak for the HSE first aid at work couses as thats what I have had some involvement with in the past and they are aimed at people with no First Aid experience at all.

Having looked at the itinerary of the course advertised I see no reason why anyone would have a problem. These first aid courses are primarily to teach a person to recognize a life threatening emergency and act accordingly with the relevant treatment,they are not teaching how to be a Dr or paramedic, the theory will be to the point and relevent to the possible emergencies you might commonly face and the primary emphasis will be on the practical elements of treating the injury/ illness as a first aider until substantial help arrives.
Contact the course administrator if you still feel concerned I am sure they will further put you mind at ease if necessary.
There are plenty of good basic first aid books about by St Johns Ambulance and others etc if you wanted to familiarize yourself with some things before you went on the course.
Most if not all people who go on first aid at work courses enjoy them and I am sure the course offered here would be more so since its geared towards our interests of bushcraft/trekking/outdoor pursuits etc.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
James - PM sent

The course is suitable for people with no experience.

Waynes courses are excellent, and being in the wood his scenarios he sets up are excellent.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Gzornenplat, can I ask that if you've got an issue you take it to the suggestion/feedback section of the forum or PM us please, I'll split the thread later to keep this one on track and move your comments into there.

Many thanks

Matt

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Just paid. Can't wait, I'm off to Africa for 3 years and this is just what I was looking for. See you all there (Arundel, not Africa).

GoEnviro

Life Member
May 3, 2008
Cardiff
Are there any places remaining on this course, I would love to attend.

PS. most grateful for all the junk mail I receive, I wish there was more, I don't get enough time to check out the forum, thanks for the email.

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
I am attending the course and will be camping for the duration. I have loads of meths that I bought but won't be able to use. If anyone wants some let me know and you can have it for what I paid. £15 for the 5 litres.

hi all
this is probably a daft question but in the email i recieved the other day it asks us to bring some personal water more being provided whe we are there how much are you intending on taking?
my concern is im coming by train and dont fancy lugging a vast amount with me through several changes
cheers for advice in advance
regards
Sam

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Don't worry about it, Wayne has quite a few large containers, I'm taking a couple, its more for the people that are driving, just to take some of the pressure of. If we run low I know Wayne has the option of getting some filled but it means someone else driving in.

Matt

Autumn Stone

Jul 16, 2007
East Sussex
Hi, I'm driving over from Hastings way and camping the duration, if anyone would like a lift or extra water bringing please let me know. Can't wait for the course.
Cheers
Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE