Adders wake up

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well I go actively looking for the critters and so walk where other people don't and have never even come close to being bitten that way in 25 years. It's only when I've been picking them up or checking under refugia or moving them, that I've been bitten :D

They are incredibly sensitive to their environment (sight, smell and vibrations), and are usually long gone by the time a regular walker or dog gets there.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
You madman you!!! :D

I'm neither afraid of, nor am I anti snakes and other reptiles, certainly curious, but reading your last post there made my blood run cold - bloody huge spine tingling shiver - yeuch!!!

Has being bitten left you with any lasting legacy or reminder?

If that's too personal a question, please ignore and accept my apology. :eek:

I remember watching a documentary on American religious folks, years ago, who handled "the serpent blah blah" as part of their faith, and regularly got bitten, disfigured, killed.

Nasty, nasty swellings of limbs, heart, kidney failure etc., etc., due to the combination of the toxins injected. That was an eye opener.

Liam

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Has being bitten left you with any lasting legacy or reminder?

Not with adders I haven't. I've had a couple of close misses with African elapids though, and it does make you sweat when you have to bag one. The agility of fat lazy Puff Adders can never be underestimated either.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'm on the moss again at the end of this month, we'll have to keep an eye out for these guys as they love to hibernate in the moss banks and the park is a prime hunting ground for them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE