Adder / Viper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I used to live at Hengistbury Head down on the south coast and there were loads of Adders there, enough that when we were kids we knew that we could go and catch them if we wanted. In the summer it was unlikely that you would not see one if you wandered off the main path.

It wasn't until later in life i realised how fortunate we were have experiences and seeing them often.

Jul 9, 2008
Highlands
really??? Why I happen to be off to north wales tommorrow.
We can take bets on me finding one. I bet £100 I dont.

You've just volunteered to go ask the zoo staff where's the best place to see them and get a pic now. Go for it. If you get a picture of one there (no copying google images!) I'll donate a fiver to 'Froglife'. It is diurnal so should be a piece of cake...

J

jackmcmanus21

A couple of shots of this guy...

His local name 'may' be Erdei siklo, which according to my dictionary would give it the latin name, Elaphae longissema...

sikla02.jpg

sikla01.jpg

thats a good sized snake right there

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
You've just volunteered to go ask the zoo staff where's the best place to see them and get a pic now. Go for it. If you get a picture of one there (no copying google images!) I'll donate a fiver to 'Froglife'. It is diurnal so should be a piece of cake...

Im afraid my snake tracking skills were useless :( Ive still yet to see a bloody snake.

Jul 9, 2008
Highlands
Well done for trying anyway. Best time for reptiles is after a couple days cooler weather and then a day with some sun and some clouds so that they have to bask for a bit longer than just pure sun. Also depends on time of year when the best time of day is - spring/ autumn it's midday, summer it's earlier or later. Then of course there's reptile hunting skills - difficult to relate in text...

Have fun - and I'll keep my fiver in my pocket for now!

cheers
Stephen

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Well done for trying anyway. Best time for reptiles is after a couple days cooler weather and then a day with some sun and some clouds so that they have to bask for a bit longer than just pure sun. Also depends on time of year when the best time of day is - spring/ autumn it's midday, summer it's earlier or later. Then of course there's reptile hunting skills - difficult to relate in text...

Have fun - and I'll keep my fiver in my pocket for now!

cheers
Stephen

Plus there's luck, this month within a few minutes walk of home I've seen 3 common lizard
liz1.jpg
and 2 slow worm
slowworm-1.jpg
without looking for them. I think in the whole of last year I saw one of each and did actively look. We don't get adder round here much, if at all, but grass snake are quite common, but I only ever see them when I'm doing other things and they happen to be there.

Totally agree with Makar's comment about how it's great that the reaction to snakes and another reptiles and amphibians here seems to be 'wow' rather than 'Kill it, Kill it'

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE