Adam from JLT Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
Evening All,

Sorry about having to post this. It relates to a custom knife so I hope this is the right place.

Some months ago I got in touch with Adam from JLT Knives with regards to commissioning a knife from him. He was very helpful and easy to get in touch with via phone and email so I decided to go with him for my order.

We settled on a design and I paid over £100 as deposit. The initial lead time he gave me was 4 weeks. This was back In mid May. For the first few weeks things were fine, we were in constant contact and he had emailed me an image of the blank he had cut for me. Then things started to go down hill a little. The 4 weeks came and went and nothing much was happening. Adam advised he was having a few issues that kept him away from the workshop but he get back to it soon. The weeks turned into months and all the while Adam was responding to my texts and emails. The last I heard from him was a text sent on the 15th of September advising that my order was finally ready, his other half was sending it to me and he'd get a tracking number. Since then, nothing. His mobile number has been disconnected, I'm getting no response from emails and his website no longer exists.

Now I know that Adam is known amongst the forum community and has been making knives for happy customers for some time. As such, I'm as worried about him as I am about the money I've handed over. I fear that something has happened to him.
Can ANYONE shed any light on what's happened to him?

P.S I did pay by paypal but it was months ago so there is no chance of getting the money back. I don't care about that so much, I'd much prefer my knife and to know that Adam's ok.

Cheers,
Daz

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
He has a good reputation so this comes as a shock. Thats why I dont take deposits, just in case I can't deliver , hasn't happened yet.
Best of luck.

Mar 15, 2011
somerset
Hi,
Thanks for keeping me in the loop Dazza.
I to am in the same situation, only i paid £175 and my jlt journey started in early april!
Other that that the excuses i recieved were exactly the same as dazza, even to the date!
If any one out there can help me to get in touch with him i would be very greatfull, all i want is my knife!
thanks
Alex

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i really hope everything is OK with Adam, i've had dealings with him in the past with no probs and great coms.

hope you guys get it sorted out OK

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Had good dealings with him, too. Hope this works out for you both & everything is ok with him.

Mar 15, 2011
somerset
kepis, how do you know he didnt renew his web site? it happened when he dissapeared?
i have an adress for him, i think i might try wrighting to him?

alex

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
kepis, how do you know he didnt renew his web site? it happened when he dissapeared?
i have an adress for him, i think i might try wrighting to him?

alex

Because i wrote it and administered it for him?

And to be factually correct, the website disappeared long before Adam did, months before in fact because i spoke to him about him renewing the package with the hosting company on a few occasions.

Last edited:

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
Because i wrote it and administered it for him?

And to be factually correct, the website disappeared long before Adam did, months before in fact because i spoke to him about him renewing the package with the hosting company on a few occasions.

This is correct. The website went down long before Adam disappeared. I remember speaking to him on the phone about it and him saying he was going to speak to the guy who had set it up for him.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
If you know his real name and address (I assume that is the case) there are ways you can track him down, even if it is just to ensure that he has not come to harm (checking with local police, hospitals etc). If he has simply gone to ground at home and is down on his luck financially then it may be another case for the police or bailiffs but in all honesty that will probably just add to his woes rather than get your money back (and you would need to spend money to take out an action against him, too). If you go down that route you will just end up in a queue of creditors (the banks take first dibs) but at least you would know what has happened.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you know his real name and address (I assume that is the case) there are ways you can track him down...

Unless he's changed it and done a bunk.

... even if it is just to ensure that he has not come to harm (checking with local police, hospitals etc).

If I were looking for information, my first port of call would be the Official Receiver in that area.

If he has simply gone to ground at home and is down on his luck financially then it may be another case for the police or bailiffs but in all honesty that will probably just add to his woes rather than get your money back (and you would need to spend money to take out an action against him, too). If you go down that route you will just end up in a queue of creditors

Maybe, maybe not. But it doesn't cost much to post a seven day letter by recorded delivery.

(the banks take first dibs) ...

No, assuming that there are no employee obligations our beloved government takes first dibs.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... i wrote it and administered it ...
... the website disappeared long before Adam did, months before in fact because i spoke to him about him renewing the package with the hosting company on a few occasions.

It might be helpful to Daz and Alex to know, if you're prepared to say, whether or not you were satisfied with your dealings with Adam (if that's his real name -- sorry, I don't know the guy and have had no dealings with him) and whether or not you can get in touch with him.

There seems to be a lot more sympathy for somebody who has apparently taken at least 275 quid from forum members and given nothing but excuses in return.

More than I'd feel, anyway.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
It might be helpful to Daz and Alex to know, if you're prepared to say, whether or not you were satisfied with your dealings with Adam (if that's his real name -- sorry, I don't know the guy and have had no dealings with him) and whether or not you can get in touch with him.

I never had any problems with Adam, but there again i considered him and still consider him a mate, as do many other members on this and other forums, and yes Adam is his first name, as many have stated here before, his absence is totally out of character and to be frank im seriously worried about his welfare, im though am in the same boat as many others as i made some sheaths for him and sent them off, the same as i did many many times before, so at the moment i too am also out of pocket, but unlike others, im more concerned for Adams welfare and wellbeing than the money and in facts goods im owed, a knife or cash can be replaced, sure it's not nice to be in that position, because im in it myself so i know what it's like, a human being cant be replaced, i know for a fact that he was going through a seriously rough patch in his life, but that is no excuse not to reply to people or indeed to return peoples property, i have tried to get hold of him, via phione, email, Pm, text and even by writen letter to his home & work shop addresses and i have heard nothing from him in return.

Until such time as i learn the truth of his whereabouts and welfare im not going to become part of a witch hunt, im sure there will be a good reason why he has "done a bunk" as some put it, but, sure it hurts to be wronged, but ask yourself how you would feel if you were for instance taken seriously ill (not saying he has, because i dont know) and then came back months later to see people you thought were friends were all stabbing you in the back, and remember people im owed goods and money too.

I just hope im not wrong about him, as in all my dealings with him, not once did i feel i was dealing with a conman and i still feel that he was/is as honest as the day is long, he was always honest & courteous, but i really am beginning to feel that something bad has happened to him and i know from speaking with others, that they are also starting to feel this way too.

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
I agree with Kepis. Whilst I don't know Adam personally, all the contact I had with him before his disappearance led me to believe he was a genuinely nice and honest bloke. Yes I'm out of pocket but as mentioned above, his well being is more important. Once I know he is ok then I'll have a pop at him about this but until then I just want to know he's ok. Everything else can be dealt with afterwards.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I never had any problems with Adam, but there again i considered him and still consider him a mate, as do many other members on this and other forums, and yes Adam is his first name, as many have stated here before, his absence is totally out of character and to be frank im seriously worried about his welfare, im though am in the same boat as many others as i made some sheaths for him and sent them off, the same as i did many many times before, so at the moment i too am also out of pocket, but unlike others, im more concerned for Adams welfare and wellbeing than the money and in facts goods im owed, a knife or cash can be replaced, sure it's not nice to be in that position, because im in it myself so i know what it's like, a human being cant be replaced, i know for a fact that he was going through a seriously rough patch in his life, but that is no excuse not to reply to people or indeed to return peoples property, i have tried to get hold of him, via phione, email, Pm, text and even by writen letter to his home & work shop addresses and i have heard nothing from him in return.

Until such time as i learn the truth of his whereabouts and welfare im not going to become part of a witch hunt, im sure there will be a good reason why he has "done a bunk" as some put it, but, sure it hurts to be wronged, but ask yourself how you would feel if you were for instance taken seriously ill (not saying he has, because i dont know) and then came back months later to see people you thought were friends were all stabbing you in the back, and remember people im owed goods and money too.

I just hope im not wrong about him, as in all my dealings with him, not once did i feel i was dealing with a conman and i still feel that he was/is as honest as the day is long, he was always honest & courteous, but i really am beginning to feel that something bad has happened to him and i know from speaking with others, that they are also starting to feel this way too.

Kepis, don't you know his address? I'd be right there if I was very concerned, by the way, I'm in total agreement with yer. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE