Activities Scouts are not allowed to do

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nogbad

Jul 25, 2010
Borders
I was in the Scouting Association a few years back and suggested using paintball guns for a target shooting activity (ie not the actual activity of paintball where opponents shoot at each other) for a District Camp. All the other leaders were against this and bombarded me with Scouting Association rules saying something along the lines of 'no scout is allowed to participate in the activity of paintball'. Despite my protestations that no one would be participating in that activity but would be target shooting instead, I was over ruled. I took this further and contacted Scouting HQ who said it would be perfectly acceptable to target shoot with paintball rifles/guns. I was not reappointed as a Scout Leader with this difference of opinion about paintball and contacting HQ used against me!

I became a leader with the Baden-Powell Scouts Association and what a breath of fresh air! Cubs are trained to use knives, Scouts can use axes etc and my Senior Scouts are due to be taking part in the escape and evasion part of their survival badge work. In my opinion, a much more commonsense approach is used and our scouts have done much more adventurous activities in the few years that I have been part of the BPSA than those within the SA. Have a look at their website (be aware that absolutely everyone is an unpaid volunteer in this organisation so even the website is created by a leader): www.traditionalscouting.co.uk

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nogbad
The Group I was with until recently did paintball shooting at targets and as you say HQ told you it was OK you obviously were having differences of opinion with individuals which may well have happened with the BPSA (I have nothing against the BPSA). This is more than likely a case of serious jobsworths which can be found anywhere.

I am gld to hear you found a Group that suits you.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
How its all changed since I was a lad, we used to carry a sheath knife to meetings, on hikes and camps, in 86 I was over in the US with the BSA they taught me a game called Peg, a quick google came up with this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblety-peg which is very similar, interesting that it says if it goes in your foot you loose by default. Anyway I never saw any accidents with knives although one post on here reminded me of a Cub camp where I was assisting, went into a tent to find two Cubs fighting, one was on top of the other with a bread knife!!! So yes I can see both sides of the coin but still think its a real shame just like my kids not being allowed to play conkers or not allowed to sing the version of nursery rhymes that I remember

I just gave my boy, who is in the Cubs, one of those Scout SAK locking folders with rounded end, quite a nice little knife, seems he will only be able to use it when out with me...

those BSA guys really knew how to enjoy themselves, they didn't have bangers but quarter sticks of dynamite with a cigarette on the fuse, that would delay the bang until we were all sitting down to lunch

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I just gave my boy, who is in the Cubs, one of those Scout SAK locking folders with rounded end, quite a nice little knife, seems he will only be able to use it when out with me...

Well my Scouts enjoy using knives. The Troops fixed blades knives that is.

I have just done knifemaking with more Explorer Scouts.

But hey all groups differ based on their experience and ideas.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Hse gets the blame for lots of things. in most cases its just individuals being uber cautious.

My little lad is only 4 but I'm hoping he'll be keen get into scouting.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Hse gets the blame for lots of things. in most cases its just individuals being uber cautious.

My little lad is only 4 but I'm hoping he'll be keen get into scouting.

I totally agree on the HSE point
You may want to get him on a waiting list a some groups are difficult to get in.

...write to Jim'll Fix It?

I am not sure communicating with the dead has been banned

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE