Acf

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
Yes I'm an instructor in the ACF following a pretty decent career as a cadet.

Got to say that my motivation has somewhat wained lately though due to far too much pettyness among the other instructors and a real lack of motivation from the cadets...

I know, I know.. no such thing as a bad student... but these kids really aren't that interested in becoming any good at the skills we teach them...

Otherwise, I think the ACF is a very good organisation and does provide kids with opportunites that they simply don't have at school!

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Don't worry - I don't think it's anything you're doing wrong! Disinterest seems to be a common trait amongst the "double click" generation!!! We're really struggling to get our troops to roll out to any of the weekend events we throw on - even flying and gliding one of the big sellers in the ATC.

Several of our local squadrons are suffering the same thing - as are several of the other ACF detachments across our County!! Hence the conclusion that its a generation issue rather than anything we're all doing wrong!!!

paul.e

Oct 25, 2005
hythe kent
nice to talk to you guy's, it turns out i served with neil1 and may be i'll get to meet some more of you in the future.as for the lack of interest i think it's happening all over. i've been an ACF adult for 17 yrs and have seen a gradual decline in not just the cadets but instructors as well, young and old! may be we are seeing a national trend developing.

Sep 10, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hya Everbody

I've just joined the ACF, (a detachment in West Yorks) as an adult instructor.
The ACF is a pretty good organisation for the kids espically as they run the D of E projects etc.
Im trying to complete my Gold DofE atm and I want to do bushcraft as my "Skill".
Can anyone help me do this ?
Basiclly I need someone (or an organisation) who would sort of be my mentor to say that I have learnt things etc (you have this blue book that your "teacher" signs to say you've done somehting)
Or maybe just bushcraft events that are in or around yorkshire that I could attend - to help out at or to be taught etc.
Cheers

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I've heard that the Kent ACF has gone down hill recently and they're losing a lot of adult instructors :confused:
I was seriously considering joining as an instructor but I don't want to if it's going to be a bad move. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Is anyone here an instructor in Kent ACF? Particularly D-Coy?

Don't let hear say cloud your judgement. Take the plunge and apply to become an Adult Instructor. If the detachment IS actually going downhill, then YOU could make the difference. Give it a go. if nothing else, it's great fun and you get to go on lots of great courses and meet some great people. Ohhh, nearly forgot, you get to shoot, ride in tanks and helicopters and you get paid, though thats not really a reason to do it. it's simply great craic.

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
This tread seems to be about general questions about the ACF and Adult Instructors. Good! I have written to ACF with a special question, but not got any respons. Can someone here mayby help me with this: Do you need to be an British citizen/commonwealth citizen to become a Adult Instructor with the ACF or is it enogh with a EU- citizenship (I am swedish by birth), that you have piced up residence in the UK (Scotland to be more precis) and been living and working in the Republic of Ireland and the UK since 1.5 years?
The reason for my question is that i have been involved with the swedish equviliant of the ACF since 1995 and I now, after moving here and giving up my position in sweden, feels that there is something missing..... I do think that you how are Adult Instructors kind of know what I mean.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Batfink said:
Don't worry - I don't think it's anything you're doing wrong! Disinterest seems to be a common trait amongst the "double click" generation!!! We're really struggling to get our troops to roll out to any of the weekend events we throw on - even flying and gliding one of the big sellers in the ATC.

Several of our local squadrons are suffering the same thing - as are several of the other ACF detachments across our County!! Hence the conclusion that its a generation issue rather than anything we're all doing wrong!!!

It's not just us teachers then?

We've (my colleagues and I) discussed this at length and I'm of the opinion that it's the 'individual' generation. With an organisation that is all about 'us', finding team players who have spent their leisure time avoiding the individualism of X-Box, not had their prior learning tailored to their individual needs and their overprotective parents not wiping their nostrils individually it's going to be hard.

On a rare positive moment from me on this subject: I loved cadets, admired the instructors and carry a lot of the benefits. If a few of you make a difference to a few of them, it's worth the effort........isn't it?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't worry lads, now you can join up in the services, get captured for a few days, and then sell you story for mega bucks, I think youngsters will be queuing up to join the cadet forces nation wide. Do you have officers in charge of cadet PR yet?

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
Hi Sgt Sim,

One of My friends who was a cadet when I was an Instructor many years ago is Iranian, when he went to become a Cadet Instructor he was refused, He was also refused the entry in to the UK forces, although he had lived here all his life, it was his Father that was in the Iranian Air force that put the ka-bosh on him been able to get in due to Security Checks !!

Sgt Sim said:
This tread seems to be about general questions about the ACF and Adult Instructors. Good! I have written to ACF with a special question, but not got any respons. Can someone here mayby help me with this: Do you need to be an British citizen/commonwealth citizen to become a Adult Instructor with the ACF or is it enogh with a EU- citizenship (I am swedish by birth), that you have piced up residence in the UK (Scotland to be more precis) and been living and working in the Republic of Ireland and the UK since 1.5 years?
The reason for my question is that i have been involved with the swedish equviliant of the ACF since 1995 and I now, after moving here and giving up my position in sweden, feels that there is something missing..... I do think that you how are Adult Instructors kind of know what I mean.

On the Subject of the ACF, by attending the cadets it more than likley saved me from doing many nasty things. The Cadets made me a great person in mind and body. The only problem with now and then in the Cadets is all the paperwork that goes with it, disclamers for this and that, some of the essence of the Adventure part seemed to die, (I thought) anyway. When I became an Instructor in Cadets I tried very hard to instill the same amount of joy and education I got out of it, having the Respect from the cadets helps a great deal in motivation from the kids/Young adults. One of the Best courses I ever did while a Cadet was the 4 star Leadership course, two weeks in Penhale Camp, Happy days back in 1990.

A change in career and other commitments meant I could not give my time to Cadets anymore, Do I miss it ? Yes I do. I still get pleasure from it in other ways When I see ex cadets that have gone on to join the Army and have said to me thank you for helping me. Like someone else said further down, it don't matter if we help 1,2, 202 people in our lives, just steering one person in the right direction of life is a great achievement in itself. I Always suggest to people with kids around the 12/13 age band to get them into the cadets, whether it's the ACF,CCF ATC etc, it's a good way of the kids finding out who they are !!

Basha72

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Hmmmm.... It does not look good for me then... I wounder if it is any use even to try to apply... Strange that it does not say any thing about citizenship on the ACF information web- page.

I do however strongly agree with your statement on the subject in general and I can relate to what you are saying, especially with that it is a most satisfying feeling to see you former cadets grow up and become dicent people and some of them doing a career out of military life. It is also very satisfying to see someone that you trained form the age of 15 appering a couple of years later in official situations. It makes you feel that you have contrubuted to that persons life. I think (again) you probably know what I mean...

Hi Sgt Sim.
My advice would be to go to a local detachment, ask the detachment commander for the name and contact details of the Cadet Executive Officer for that Batallion/County and make contact with him/her. They should be able to give you all the relivent joining details ans hopefully answer your questions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE