acess & wild camp around keilder water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

miles888

Jan 6, 2012
peak district
hope to go to keilder water next feb for my birthday, want to pitch the tent
anyone know if the area is open access?. maybe pitch the hamock if really alone
i know its a popular area/families so no wild camping but? no fires just chill. hope to stay in b&b or similar n venture daily.
should i contact the northumbria np or foresty office
chears

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i wanted to do this a while ago, i know people have wild camped in Keilder. i think the same old rules apply to stealth camping, but in Feb im sure there wont be many people about, even less with some snow..

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Its a big place so im sure being sensable ie no fires you could camp with out much hassle in feb or there are a few proper campsites around kielder who maybe open depending on season opening times.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Also as for access yes its open to public use they've spent alot of money on walks and mountain biking trials around the forest to encourage people to visit instead of passing by to go to the 7 stanes in scotlands borders

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd suggest that you contact: richard.gilchrist@forestry.gsi.gov.uk

at Kielder District, Forestry Commission office and see what he can sort out for you.

He's a canny enough lad, (once you get to know him:rolleyes:)

I'm not sure what his title is at the moment, as I've not seen him in over 18 months but he was the "Chief Recreation Ranger".

To be honest,in spite of what the FC "PR" machine pumps out into the media, Kielders a bit of a bleak area at the best of times, I'd sooner push on and explore Scotland, where you can relax with little or no worry of interruption:)

good luck

Steve

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
i know they have had a lot of probs with folk wild camping and leaving a large mess, so if you ask, they will tell you to go to campsite.
they have now locked most of warerside gates to stop overnight camping. And if you do go in ndeep just be aware they cull deer around the clock sometime. If they need to get the figures they do it by lamp at night. As do poachers. just something to be aware of. Im sure they do bushcraftervstuff there as well. There is also a scout camp and i think you can hire canoes.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I used to live nearby. Not a problem in February but the midges in Keilder are so big they have landing strips.

miles888

Jan 6, 2012
peak district
hi miles888 thanks, what do you mean in feb? is that the midges or over run with people?
are the far out areas less busy, its big enough to have some privacy surely
newcastleton, national park area

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE