Accurate diving style wrist watch..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I had a Seiko Diver which I totally loved until some gormless numpty of a watch mender broke it while changing the battery! 10 years later I still can't believe he did that <grumble grumble>

I now have the Seiko Kinetic Diver. No need for a battery change ever again.

No, but the chargeable accumulator ( originally a capacitor but that leaked gumming up the mechanism, so now it is a rechargeable battery ) inside dies after about ten years, so that will have to be changed and although it can be changed by the user, it's fiddly involving undoing minute screws unlike changing a battery, see;

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchSchool/WS%2026%20Seiko%205M42-OL68%20R2%20Capacitor%20Change/WS%2026%20How%20to%20change%20the%20capacitor%20of%20a%20SEIKO%205M42%20Kinetic.htm

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Very sure. Mind you, i am the guy who gets driven nuts by the slightest rattling in a car :)

If you like really chunky, some of the soviet divers watches are 'industrial'.
my orange monster (seiko kinetic diver) also can be heard at night. Especially if it is on low wind. The rolex just sings..

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
Ive had a few divers watches over the years including seiko's, ive modded a few 6309 seikos and really like them, but i got fed up re-winding autos so prefer quartz these days, i stick to casio's for work as they can take the abuse, but for day to day and in the sea i wear a rotary cronospeed divers watch , ive been wearing the one in the picture for the last 2 years with no issues, they keep amazing time and the lume is one of the best ive had, its around 44mm wide and has a 120 click bezel and a saphire crystal all for a bargain price, these have rotarys dolphin standard swim dive all day gurantee, screw in crown and case back, all good, i generaly wear in on a nato but ive got its original leather strap plus a rubber divers strap i use now and then,

P1010228-3.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Article about the accuracy of mechanical versus quartz wristwatches HERE but in short, even the cheapo quartz watches are more accurate than the best mechanical chronometer
That's not to say that clockwork watches aren't fascinating bits of kit that I really like but they just aren't as accurate as quartz watches.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Article about the accuracy of mechanical versus quartz wristwatches HERE but in short, even the cheapo quartz watches are more accurate than the best mechanical chronometer
That's not to say that clockwork watches aren't fascinating bits of kit that I really like but they just aren't as accurate as quartz watches.
The article you link states that typically quartz are more accurate but not always. Has a nice explaination as well.

It is the detail in the engineering that fascinates me.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The average quartz is accurate to +15/-15 seconds per month. The most accurate mechanical watches rated with a chronometer certificate are capable of accuracy to +6/-4 seconds per day. That rating does not mean that the watches will be at that rating when you buy them, or even a week after testing for chronometer certification. It just means that they are capable of that accuracy.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The article you link states that typically quartz are more accurate but not always. Has a nice explaination as well.

It is the detail in the engineering that fascinates me.

Another thing worth a mention is that a mechanical wristwatch will vary, depending on which wrist you wear it on.
Look for Timing in Positions...

A while ago I bought a book called Practical Watch Repair which I would recommend to anyone interested in how mechanical wristwatches work, I'm not likely to ever repair a wristwatch but found it a fascinating insight into the mechanisms.

Hell, I'm just interested in "stuff" and like the soviet watches more than the bling stuff.

I'd still rather have a dive computer for the actual diving bit though.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Thanks for all of the replies. I've been keeping an eye on the seiko over the last couple of days and it's running about 30 seconds a day fast.... I've been using a clock on the web as my reference. From what I read this is not that unusual for the s726 movement...

I think I'll plump for a quartz movement rather than head down the Swiss mechanical movement route.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have had a Casio quartz diver from amazon for 5 years which I have worn contantly. It's totally reliable, lost 30 seconds last month. It's no more beautiful than me but cost £35. I have had a Casio ecodrive which leaked and Casio wanted a fortune to repair and a Tissot seastar which was completely unreliable, inaccurate and costly to maintain. I'll be replacing my Casio with another if I ever need to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE