Garmin eTrex Vista HCx GPS Device

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
[FONT=&quot]So far I have had this device for about a week and here is an initial review of what t can do, over time i will post an updated review after some extensive testing in bushcraft environments

Here are the specs according to the Garmin Website[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Physical & Performance:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Unit dimensions, WxHxD: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.2" x 4.2" x 1.2" (5.6 x 10.7 x 3.0 cm) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Display size, WxH: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1.3" x 1.7" (3.3 x 4.3 cm) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Display resolution, WxH: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]176 x 220 pixels [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Display type: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]256 level color TFT [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Weight: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5.5 oz (156 g) with batteries [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Battery: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 AA batteries (not included) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Battery life: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]25 hours [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Waterproof: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]yes (IPX7) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Floats: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]no [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]High-sensitivity receiver: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]yes [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Interface: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]USB [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Maps & Memory:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Basemap: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ability to add maps: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Built-in memory: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Accepts data cards: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]microSD™ card (not included) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Waypoints/favorites/locations: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1000 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Routes: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]50 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Track log: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10,000 points, 20 saved tracks [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Features:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Electronic compass: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Touchscreen: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Barometric altimeter: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Camera: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Geocaching-friendly: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Custom maps compatible: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Outdoor GPS games: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hunt/fish calendar: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sun and moon information: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tide tables: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Area calculation: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Picture viewer: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Garmin Connect™ compatible [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ok, initially this was very impressive. It has tonnes of features, most which I have not tested thoroughly yet. I will be updating this post as time goes on (see top for last edit date).[/FONT]

Appearance:

[FONT=&quot] This is a handheld that can be viewed here [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It claims it can be used in one hand, this is certainly true but it isn’t the easiest thing in the world. The buttons haven’t been well thought out. I have tried both right handed and left and I find I need to re-adjust my grip each time I use a button on the opposite side. This isn’t much of an issue and with more time I will probably get used to this but for die hard GPS users, this will become annoying and perhaps dangerous in some environments. The rocker (Directional pad/button) is located to the left which leads me to assume the device is supposed to be used left handed (using it right handed covers the screen when using the rocker, another poor design flaw). This may be of significance in some sports. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The screen has varying levels of brightness that is easy to adjust. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The exterior is covered in rubber and plastic which creates a watertight seal (the flap for the USB connector doesn’t look like it would hold out for years though). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the rear is socket to attach it to bicycles, wrists or whatever. However what I find confusing is that only half of the adaptor comes with it (I have confirmed there were no missing pieces) and the mount is missing. It’s the same as buying a light for a bicycle and not getting the attachment to add it to the bike. Upon further investigation, I discovered two mounts are available for the product as optional extras for purchase. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]At the bottom of the exterior there is an area to attach a lanyard. This however looks very thin and is part of the plastic case, with heavy use, this will probably break. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Although I have criticised its design, it certainly is not something that should put you off unless these flaws affect you directly in your environment. [/FONT]

Functionality:

[FONT=&quot]The device can do the following things[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Find your current location[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Find your current altitude[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Barometer [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Compass[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]‘Trip Computer’[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Create waypoints[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Find many things (more on that below) [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Alert you when within proximity of a certain location[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Create Tracks[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Calendar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Basic Calculator[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Stopwatch[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Clock[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sun and moon cycles[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Hunt and fish tables[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Games[/FONT]

Find your current location

The device can locate your location fairly quickly on start up, rarely takes more than 30 seconds. I have only tested the accuracy in an urban environment and so far it is pretty good, usually to an accuracy of 10m or less. The device uses a high sensitivity receiver so I would expect it to be reliable and accurate for handheld GPS standards.
In the future I will test it in rural areas both civil and remote.
It records your position regularly over time with a small black dot on the device (an important note would be not to keep keys on the lanyard because of this feature, my own home has a mass of hundreds of dots over it).

Altimeter

The device can determine your altitude above sea level to the nearest metre. It also records your attitude over time which is particularly useful for hiking. It also has some useful tools such as total, maximum and average ascent/descent, barometer, elevation, max/min elevation, vertical speed, vertical speed to destination, glide ratio, glide ratio to destination and ambient pressure. This makes it a fantastic GPS for pursuits such as hiking, mountaineering, climbing, skiing, sky diving and hang gliding.

Compass

The device has a built in electrical compass that can be quickly switch on and off to save battery. It has options to point to true north, magnetic north, grid(im not too sure what this is), or a user north (user programs the offset to treat as north. The compass can be views in degrees, cardinal letters or Mils. Not much else to say here.

Trip computer

This is a screen packed with statistical information about your journey. There are two modes, the first is to view 3 windows, the second is to view 8 windows. Every single window can be programmed to show the following data: Accuracy of GPS, Bearing, Course, Dist/Time to destination, Dist/Time to next waypoint, ETA at destination/waypoint, Elevation, Glide Ratio, Glide Ratio to destination, Heading, Odometer, Off Course, Pointer, Current/max/min/average speed, Sunset/sunrise, Time remaining to next waypoint/destination, Clock, To Course, Trip Odometer, Moving/Stationary/Total trip time, Turn, Velocity made good, Vertical Speed, Vertical speed to destination, waypoint at next/destination.

This is probably the most useful tool for planned journeys. It has just about every stat imaginable you could want.

Create Waypoints

Waypoints can be created and saved under user entered names. Waypoints also have a icon for identifying on the map. There is a choice of roughly 50 icons including all the essentials such as flags, building, fish, water, tent, tree, car and so on. Most are available in numerous colours. Waypoints can be entered either by locating on the map, entering gps coordinates or importing from your computer. If you do not have your cable available with you to import from a computer, online maps usually provide the GPS coordinates of the where the pointer is at. Waypoints can be edited and removed.
Find Many Things

On top of user waypoints, the device is capable of searching for the following things; Geocache, City, Recent searches and waypoints, Points of interest, Addresses, Intersection, Restaurants/Takeaways, Fuel services, Lodging, Shopping, Bank and ATM, Entertainment, Recreation, Attractions, Community, Hospitals, Transport, Auto Services, Others.

Personally, I would say some of these, such as Attractions, are a little unnecessary. The ones I believe are important are City, Recent Searches, POI, Addresses, Food and Drink, Fuel Services, Lodging, Bank and ATM and Hospitals. Most of these features are pretty reliable and there is nothing worth noting.

Proximity

This feature allows you to search for a waypoint or using the find feature to find a location and alerts the user when you come within your chosen proximity. This can be programmed for more than a single point. It also alerts you when you leave the proximity and also when you arrive at the centre.

Create Tracks

This feature allows you to backtrack your path either exactly or by routing over roads or directly. A pretty valuable tool for dangerous terrain such as large caves or jungle. This could be applied to return to a landmark to establish and emergency shelter whilst camping or backtracking to find a lost item or person if travelling in a large group.
Calendar

For a while I never looked at the calendar. It has some useful features such as sunrise/sunset for each day, stage in the lunar cycle each day and hunt/fish predictions. As far as I can tell, you cannot add reminders but it does keep track of dates you entered waypoints.
Basic Calculator

Has all the basic calculator functions. Nothing fancy such as logarithms, sine, cosine and tangent and so on.

Stopwatch

A basic stopwatch with a lap function along with typical statistics (average, total, last, current etc)

Clock

Nothing radical here, displays in both 12hr and 24hr. Can adjust the time zone, UTF offset and toggle daylight savings time
Sun and Moon Cycles

This shows sunrise, sunset, moon rise, moon set and the stage of the lunar cycle. It is possible to cycle through time to view future readings to predict ideal conditions. Conditions are shown for the current location but can be changed for any location.
Hunt and Fish Tables

This is a table showing ‘best times’ and ‘good times’. I have no idea how these are calculated, I assume it has something to do with weather predictions, tidal activity or the lunar cycle. Anyone who does hunt or fish probably knows more about this. It is possible to choose future dates to predict ideal times.
Games

Six basic games, to pass the time when you are bored. I’ve never bothered trying them, It would probably be useful if card games can be downloaded to be used whilst at camp if no one had a pack with them.

Software

The software is fairly simple but takes a while to get used to all the functions. By default there are 4 home screens, these can be expanded on, removed and rearranged which makes it much easier to use common tools and remove ones you don’t use. There is lots of customisation in the settings changes most readings between many metric and imperial. The GPS coordinates has about 30 different unit settings including most of the world wide variations.

The base map is pretty simple, with just the essentials. Because of this some of the functionality does not appear such as search by address all categories of points of interest. If travelling to remote or new environments, it would be wise to add a few waypoints of important locations such as hospitals.
There is a notable amount of spelling mistakes for towns in the UK.

To use the rest of the functions, a map needs to be purchased separately to add by micro sd card (yes, another ‘optional’ add on to get more money). Thankfully, I got a decent deal and got the whole of Europe for £20 brand new which isn’t so bad considering the paper alternative would probably hundreds for the same detail.

The device can take maps tailored for the city (just about every road in the covered zones), waterways for sailing inland, TOPO maps for hiking and mountaineering with contour lines and terrain, belux maps tailored for cycling, trek maps which contain loads of walking trails and city xplorer which contains maps tailored for majors cities including public transport assistance such as bus stop locations and where services travel to.

Flashharry

Mar 4, 2011
Bolton
This is an excellent review of the Vista HCx. Unfortunately I had already bought mine last week before I read this review after dithering for a couple of weeks, had I seen this posting before, I think I would have bought it after reading this. I am using the maps available on the excellent 'talky toaster' page http://www.talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm which suit my needs well for the moment.

I have been wondering if it is possible to make custom maps using the 'Mapwel' program. I think it may be possible, but the demo version would not allow export of the Garmin .img file after I had georeferenced a small map and created it. Anyone know if exporting a Garmin .img file using the basic or advanced version of Mapwel would work? That is to make a custom map for the Etrex Vista HCx, similar to the ones for the Oregon, Dakota etc described on the Garmin web page using Google earth (see highlighted custom maps compatible in the original post).

I have been having fun looking at some of the features on the Vista, pressing the menu key to look at various options in various modes e.g. in calculator press [menu] you can then select scientific calculator or normal. So it does have those 'fancy things such as logarithms, sine, cosine and tangent and so on' !! Overall I am most impressed with this GPS though I must admit I have got side tracked looking at installing maps etc. I really must go out and test it on a walk and log some tracks etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE