About to buy a new tarp...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I am thinking of buying a new tarp as my old one collapsed whilst under a foot of snow. I was thinking that the DD Tarp MC is the best option for the money. Would anyone guide me away from this and are there any other good/better alternatives for the money.

Cheers

HHazeldean

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Personally I'd steer clear of the DD MC tarp at the moment. 3 folks on here have had them tear whilst in use, thread here. It might be DD had a bad batch of material in for the MC

Plus, personally speaking, the pattern isn't that good either and doesn't blend in at all but each to their own as they say.

Go for the plain DD Tarp in either 3x3 or 3x4.5. I've got both and they're cracking bits of kit.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I was going to get the plain one but it is out of stock at the mo which is blooming annoying. I was really hoping to get one so that I can sleep out shortly.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
yeah the cam isnt great, my brother in law got one in the group buy and it isnt random at all. If he had paid extra for camo he wouldnt have been happy as it was the same price no harm no foul

Dave

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
i have the DDXL its brilliant.

this is pic of it up at the Last Brockwell meet

Me and sam had loads of room to cuddle under there.. Thats sam btw.

IMAG0549.jpg

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Would the DD XL not be too big, I just want a tarp for hammocking and bivvying under. Is the XL too big or the right size.

Cheers

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Is there any other brands of tarp that you guys would recommend other than DD for around the similar price range as I am on a bit of a budget.

Cheers

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you've got a Decathalon Store near you get one of their tarps. They're a great tarp for the price.

I started out with one and it's still going strong after 3 years of use though it could do with a re-proofing now

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Would the DD XL not be too big, I just want a tarp for hammocking and bivvying under. Is the XL too big or the right size.

Cheers

i would say the XL is a little too big for single hammock or bivvy myself. I bought it as a bad weather/dual person use. When i bivvy i use a DD Poncho as its bigger than standard ponchos and means i dont have to take a jacket.

This was my first ever tarp setup and thankgod im a skinny guy, it rained lightly in the morning and if i was any bigger i would have got wet from the ground beside me.
I would highley rate the dd poncho as a tarp

Sorry for the picture quality i was using my phone.. and not well

This is how i set up my poncho the first time i used it:
IMAG0485.jpg

IMAG0481.jpg

IMAG0482.jpg

This was sams setup that night. I would say a better way of doing it
IMAG0491.jpg

Far right

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE