Abbes Postmortem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Abbe, As so many of us are thinking..Welcome Back. We wish we were as brave as you have been.

I am looking forward to more posts from you again because they were the most real & entertaining & we missed them. I stayed in Kiruna a few years ago and I loved it. Mrs Big Geordie & I are doing arithmetic to see if we can stay there longer next time.

I have bought some of your great books through Paypal. Post mortems happen after death....You didn't die / you survived, I think you will find you are our new BCUK Hero, in whom we are very proud.

Great work, welcome home.
George:You_Rock_

Oh boy, George was it you I had to cancle the order. I am sorry.
You have to write an e-mail to me first so I can figure out who is first to ear-mark the books. Please check on my side if there are some left you want to have. Drop me a mail to the link on my webpage.

hope your books are still there
cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Yes, the title postmortem scared the life out of me until I opened the thread and saw you were OK. :eek:

Hi Wayland, yes I know it was bad PR thing! ;)
I thought it will draw some attention to my thread.

sorry to scare you! I acctually experienced it for real with a Bushcrafters I know from way back then. He had a Survival school near to Kiruna, closed it down and when to canada. He wanted to transport his dogs over a open river in winter and fell into the water. He managed to swim on land and froze to death. A trapper found him sitting against a tree. His dogs where still alive.

cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
amazing trip. when you say "buy" a cabin, is that like, its yours forever? at prices from 40.000 kroner? it puts me in mind of looking into northern sweden as a holiday destination, if accomadation is that cheap. can you rent these lakeside cabins for the summer?

Yes, if you buy the cabin its yours! I sold mine to a english bushcrafter and we didnt get any problems. Its EU laws and you have the right to buy here a land and a cabin, or lease a land and build a cabin or buy land and take your own trees and build a cabin. Off course you will have to check with the local authorities as they might have some special laws concerning building a cabin like how big you want to have it etc etc

There are laws now which forbid you to build a cabin near to the shoreline of the lake. You will have to have it behind the 100 meter line. So if you pick a spot to build a cabin you have to make sure you can build one there. Sometimes there is a good spot near the lake and after the 100 meter line you have bogg swamp and stuff, make sure you dont buy or lease such a place. Make sure it is dry all the way behind the 100 meter line.

the good thing is when you buy an older cabin you dont have to worry about that. They usually have the niceste and dry places. My former cabin was high up and on dry land but only 30 meter from the shore. Today you cant build like this anymore.

and yes you might find something from private for 40k and up!
all the
best
yours
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
What he said !! - Many of us dream but few will go and do it! :You_Rock_

hehe, I said it with a tounge in the cheek. Yes, I tried and I learned a hell of a lot. Mostly about myself. One thing I noticed is that: You have to try out your dreams and see reality. Then you might see clearer what is a dream and what is real.

In my case I learned about myself that I am a romantic, a artist first. I love nature, love to be in nature but the struggle for suvival is what it is survial and gets on your balls with the time. I loved snow when I got there, found it romantic but after 20 month of snow I am fed up with winter now for a while. Then I noticed that I didnt see the beauty of nature anymore. Sometimes I looked up and thought boy, how beautyfull everything is - Everyone on BCUK would envy me now but I dont see it anymore, it was not a feeling - it was only a thought of something is beautifull. And than I tought, oh **** I have to get all the snow from the roof, cut the firewood, the dam oven is smoking me too pieces, I have to open the window, **** the window is frozen tight, etc etc.

No, it was time to get out. When I read about that guy living for over 30 years alone in his cabin. I believe he was born to do it. I am not.

In that way I am blessed as I really learned about myself and I am thankfull for that time. Would I do it again.

No- I tried it twiche, I hope I learned enough now. :D

cheers
Abbe

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Well, isnt it more fun if you keep believing I am like the john wayne of the north?
If I write a book you will be only disapointed what a looser that Abbe is. :puppy_dog

cheers
Abbe

But it would be a really good laugh, still have very good memories from the efw days I spent with you. I might be up in your new neighbourhood soon and doing some courses since I have been offered to loan a cabin outsida Kramfors =)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
But it would be a really good laugh, still have very good memories from the efw days I spent with you. I might be up in your new neighbourhood soon and doing some courses since I have been offered to loan a cabin outsida Kramfors =)

yes mate, we had a blast. I dont remember I was laughing as much after you left!
We have to do it again! You are welcome to sleep over here in Kramfors if you are here in the area!

cheers
Abbe

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Great post Abbe.

And a very useful dose of realism.

Perhaps this will put an end to the head-in-the-clouds 'I'm so depressed I'm going to leave modern life behind and go and live in the woods what do you think?' posts.

I think that your advice is amongst some of the best I have seen in this forum: practical and realistic. It is also fantastic to read about what you can actually do with your money.

Well done. A quality story.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Great post Abbe.

And a very useful dose of realism.

Perhaps this will put an end to the head-in-the-clouds 'I'm so depressed I'm going to leave modern life behind and go and live in the woods what do you think?' posts.

I think that your advice is amongst some of the best I have seen in this forum: practical and realistic. It is also fantastic to read about what you can actually do with your money.

Well done. A quality story.

I still believe it is a good idea to follow his own heart, you never know what comes out of it. 20 years ago I went to Finland and tried to break loose for the first time. I gave up on my job took my backback and wanted to stay in the woods of Finland until I have to come out . I planed for 3 month at least if no longer.

Well, that was the dream.
The dream needed me! I would be needed to put feet onto it otherwise nothing can happen!

Right?!

In that way the 20 years old cityslicker from Berlin ended up in Lappland finding his soul and mind in a state of schock. I have never seen such a big forest. I only read some cool books about some guys who went to Alaska got some land and started to live there.

Remember these where still the 80th.

I remember me thinking: Well, now you are here and isnt it funny that when you dream of the tress and the mountains, ones heart is full and warm but now when I live my dream, whats left in the heart, nothing - I had nothing more to dream off. ( That was the moment when your dream kisses reality)

Instead of staying 3 month I was on my way back home already after a week.
But isnt life wonderfull, there in Lappland on my way back I met my wife and we got married already after 3 month. I stayed in Finland much longer than I thought I would and this year we are 20 years married.

I think today if I would not have followed the inclination of my heart, I would have stayed in Berlin. And iIf I would have forced myself to stay put in the forest even my heart told me, dont stay in that forest, move on, I would not have met my wife either.

So, for me it was good to dream, to walk the dream, to fail, to see Reality and get married.

The second time I felt the call to go to the north was 3 years ago. I really tried it as I didnt learned enough about myself in first round. They where 3 very tuff but good years as I learned a lot about myself, I dont want to miss them but now I feel that this time is over and I am selling everything Bushcrafty I have and move on.

Its good to dare, to dream and to walk.

Yours Abbe

Here are some more pictues for the fun of it!
hunting.jpg

sitting.jpg

hand.jpg

Finland105.jpg

cutting-it-up.jpg

carring-it-out02.jpg

getting-wood01.jpg

Remember to have a look at my Clear Out!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I take your point but you have actually thought about it properly and then gone and done it - and that's what I admire.

Livin' the dream, mate!:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE