Abbes Postmortem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi!

After tree years in the Swedish north, I left the Arctic Circle last summer, sold my stuff and moved down south. Today I thought I am going to write to you a little post-mortem of my experience and give you some tips as I believe that we have here at BCUK quite a few people who share the same dream I had when I grabbed my gear and left city life behind me.

wintercamp-012.jpg

Lets rewind the tape a bit for all the new people here. About 3 years ago I went up to the north of Sweden to find a place where I would start an experiment of simple living. I was hoping for a possibility to live simple and free without all the fuss society throws at us.
driving.jpg

In the first year I got my hunting license, bought some weapons and got a trapping license and even learned to snare birds. Then I bought a snow-machine and learned somehow to drive it. I tested a lot of Bushcraft stuff we only can read in the books about and spend quite a deal of time alone in the Bush to find myself.
rifle.jpg

Did I manage? No, I didn’t. But it was a heck of a ride, I learned a lot but I didn’t manage to break loose from the complications of our modern times.
summer.jpg

The distance of travel and the high gasoline prices are killers. Small game hunting is not effective if one is after a simpler living.
feet-1.jpg

I learned too that big game hunting, at least in Sweden, is more of an expensive hobby. Still it is much cheaper than anywhere else in Europe so.

I had a hunting ground of 600 000 ha with fishing permit and small game hunting for only 1000 SEK a year and that includes the fees to the government.
fox_abbe.jpg

Hunting Moose is all together another Story. First you will have to find a hunting group who will take you into their team. The hunting teams share then the meat and will have to pay to the government 6000 SEK for each moose.
The trouble is that in this way your moose hunting becomes a hobby too and the meat price ends up being the same as the meat cost you in the store. Only that you will have to pay for all the cost of hunting too. As long as one enjoys it as a form of recreation it will be ok for the hunter. But as I was looking for another lifestyle and not a hobby I stopped hunting all together.

Lets forget about alternative living but embrace wilderness living as a hobby or as a very long vacation at least!

Here are some ideas for you:

lake.jpg

On the Internet I found out that an expedition course could cost up to 2000GBP. Instead of spending that amount of money you should save it and you will have about 24 838,40 SEK. My neighbor leased a piece of land from Sveaskog for 1500 SEK per year. For that you get a spot of land you can call your own, except you cant cut trees there. With your own material you can build a small cabin there or put your shelter / Tipi up.

roof.jpg

In Sweden you can move around anywhere, swim in a lake, build your own campfires, sleep in a tent for a night but then you will have to move on and leave the spot as you found it. In that way you could move around all summer doing Bushcraft. But if you want to stay for a longer time, you will have to call Sveaskog and tell them that you would like to lease some piece of land and tell them where you want to build a cabin.

cabin-1.jpg

So, for the money you would have spent otherwise on a single expedition course you can lease your own spot of land near a lake for 1.6 years! If you now take all your Bushcraft books with you and study wilderness crafts every day for over a year and a half you will be better off than after a 10 days course.

If you want to buy a cabin, you will have to spent about 40 000 SEK to 150 000 SEK. Off course there are cheaper ones and there are more expensive ones but around 60 000 you should be able to get a ok cabin with land. Usually all cabins are near to a lake.

If you want to buy cabins in Sweden you have to search early spring or beginning of summer from this link: http://www.blocket.se/

The north of Sweden is in everything cheaper than the south, housing, hunting, fishing, and even meat is cheaper but not vegetables and fancy things.

But lets say you don’t like to be alone and like to share good fellowship, and on top of it all you would not even have the money for an expedition course either. But still dream the dream.
canoe.jpg

Well, give a call to the sledge dog companies; they often have interns as they have a lot to do but struggle with economy. These people are open for helpers and they pay in food and housing. I visit a woman who is living in the Wilderness not far away from my old place; she had several interns working for her. So why should it not work for you? Give these companies a call and you might spend half a year in the Bush, learning to drive dogs and not spending a dime except for the ticket costs.

http://www.kirunadogcamp.com/

PS.

I have a collection of very good Bushcraft books some are out of print, and some original Sami equipment you might be interested in.

Abbes Clear Out! http://hem.bredband.net/b796227/

smoke.jpg

All the best to you all and happy Bushcrafting!
Cheers
Abbe

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
Great post, this is very inspirational i cant wait to get out and experience things like you have. the rational voice of my parents made me promise to finish some education before i went off on one first tho only 2 years or so left now. Looks as if you had a great time.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks for the info some helpfull links there. Great story.

Simon.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Fantastic to see you back. I sincerely hope you get out there and keep the posts coming, although your clearout tells me this may not be the case.

A happy 2008.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great post Abbe. I would love to live out like this but just getting a passout to local woodland is hard work at the mo, with being busy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That`s a great read Abbe and it sounds like you`ve done something you`ll always remember. You must have learnt a heck of a lot during your time out there and I salute you for sticking it out for 3 years.

You often made us jealous with some great snow filled photos which I`m gonna miss.

Good to hear from you

Rich

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Abbe, an inspirational bit of writing as usual. If I'm correct you said that you didn't manage to find you! but from where I'm at I think you are closer to that goal than perhaps you imagine.

I like many on here would love to have the experience you've had, something a little less remote would do me, perhaps something in the mid lands. But again like many on here, we'll have to wait on those 6 magic numbers!

Good to see you on BCUK again, we all look forward to your posts.

I enjoyed looking round your site a couple of weeks back, nice bit of work going on there.

Best Regards,

bm762 :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Abbe,

I'm gutted to see you come back.

Strangely

I'm delighted to see you come back.

The first is me wishing you all the best, the second is me being "selfish". As one of the top 10 all timers its nice see a "hero" back here though :eek:

Red

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Abbe, As so many of us are thinking..Welcome Back. We wish we were as brave as you have been.

I am looking forward to more posts from you again because they were the most real & entertaining & we missed them. I stayed in Kiruna a few years ago and I loved it. Mrs Big Geordie & I are doing arithmetic to see if we can stay there longer next time.

I have bought some of your great books through Paypal. Post mortems happen after death....You didn't die / you survived, I think you will find you are our new BCUK Hero, in whom we are very proud.

Great work, welcome home.
George:You_Rock_

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
amazing trip. when you say "buy" a cabin, is that like, its yours forever? at prices from 40.000 kroner? it puts me in mind of looking into northern sweden as a holiday destination, if accomadation is that cheap. can you rent these lakeside cabins for the summer?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE