A wood shed, promised long ago...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
So there's an excellent thread about a Log Cabin ... and I was inspired to make a shed and post it! this was last November... :twak:
I made it back then, took photos and didn't post(til now)! Shame on me!
I also didn't take photos of the groundwork or support structure. I'm terrible :p
I levelled the ground, removing built-up leaves and such down to the horrible stuff that passes for "soil" under the toolshed and work area, then I (foolishly) tried to put holes in at the back for the poles I had planned. That didn't work, so I put the poles into the shallow holes and built up around them with rocks and earth(mud) for mortar. They were stable enough for the job, so I pounded rebar into the ground and slotted canes("bamboo") over them for the front supports. They were somewhat wobbly, but they worked. Beams, made from the same canes went between the poles and the cane uprights, and I whacked a load of canes on top to form a roof of sorts. One of the beams broke overnight, because it thrashed down and everything was suddenly heavy. I replaced and reinforced it and put everything back on the roof.
Canes were then lashed together to form a back wall.

c3e1b8e9-2546-4f90-94ee-bab45a394c40_zpsb526119f.jpg

the reinforced beam, roof, back wall and one of the poles is just visible

I then put in some more uprights and started to weave a wall, I'll call it the top because it's at the higher end

20141107_121834_zps488279da.jpg

view from the back-top end

I put pallets in to keep wood off the ground and put a brace between the two cane uprights to try and make them more rigid

20141107_162421_zps2e220a26.jpg

view from the front-bottom end

I have since put a half-wall in the front side and am considering what to do next, having run out of pre-cut canes (these ones came from a roof we took out) I can take more photos if anyone wants them

Sam

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
All is well now, thanks.
If you're finding the whole thing to be less rigid than you like, put some diagonal bracing on the walls. it makes a huge difference!
Nice idea and use of available materials:).

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
there isn't too little rigidity, it hasn't fallen down yet! and the wobbly side is the open bit, of course :rolleyes: so I can't brace it! nothing like planning in advance

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE