A Week of Firsts.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
The change in the weather and lengthening days have brought a few firsts of the season for me.
I've killed my first wasp, been bitten by ( and squished ) my first midges, took my son camping for the first time this year and I've even got the start of a tan. A final twist was being bitten by an ant for the first time in about fifteen years.

Cheers, Michael.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
swmbo and i took our 3 week old boy,Ash, on his first walks in woodlands this weekend. went to wombwell wooods and hugset woods n it was fab. hugset has just become my favourite, the bark on old lime coppice was peeling off so you can make it into cordage right off the tree!
beautiful woodland with so many varying forms of coppice. wish it was mine!!

spiritwalker, where about are you? i grew up near liscard, wallasey.
atb everyone
mike

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i grew up in claughton live in eastham now...

i couldnt take the pheasant as a.) its illegal to pick up a road kill you made but legal for the person behind you to take it, something to do with intentionally doing it and b.) it was in the middle of the motorway during the day and obviously i wouldnt want to be a road kill for someone else

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
i bagged myself a couple of Grouse the other day on way to coast .... Feathers everywhere ... 70mph+front grille+grouse = carnage!!!

Just like to point out that the grouse season hasn't yet started, old chap! (lol)

... its illegal to pick up a road kill you made but legal for the person behind you to take it...

Dunno if that's the case in Scots Law, Bashabuddy, but it would still go in my boot as recompense for any damage caused. The stream of 70+mph traffic might be cause for a rethink, though!

I once had an evening encounter with a roe buck which landed on the bonnet of my brand new car (not a week old). I presume it had jumped the roadside fence just as I was approaching, but it still seemed like something out of a 1980's Caribbean novel. Magic Realism, or what?

It lay there on the shiny new paintwork with its wee hooves going as though still running, and dismayed not only by the fact that it seemed to be trashing my nice new motor but by what I saw at the time as my unfair advantage, I lifted it down and layed it on the road while stroking its head while I thought it was dying.

It suddenly came round and leapt straight over me, disappearing over the far wall and into the darkness of the woods, so judging by its spritely escape, I still hope there was nothing far wrong with it. I was astonished to discover the next day that there wasn't a mark on the bonnet.

Fortunately for the wee man and I, had he remained dazed for much longer I would have delivered him his coup de grâce and both he and I would have remained oblivious to our magical encounter.

I apologise for trying to steal your thread, Bashabuddy, and yes it was a wonderful weekend. I came on a delightful wee mixed woodland the other day, not a 15 minute drive from my house... 3 - 4 acres of oak, ash, willow and hazel, with its own badger set and studded with bright wee primroses and with bluebells, strawberries, rasps, a gooseberry and black/redcurrant starting to show green buds; and all enclosed by a dry stane dyke... and am going to make another post seeking advice on approaching the farmer/owner.

We are fortunate in Scotland with regard to Rights of Access, but I still believe we have a responsibility to be courteous and tactful.

I'm so excited I feel that my bladder might give way at any moment!

Cheers mate.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Firsts this week...

• first Bar B Q of the year (& second:rolleyes:)
  • first burn of the year (moving grill on Bar B Q after too much scrumpy:1244:)
  • first "discussion" with SWMBO about the amount of camping /Scouting / bushcrafting gear lying around the house:argue:

Simon

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
1st's for me this week

made my 1st post on the forum and went to my 1st meet

Chased my 1st bumble bee out the house

Shot my 1st arrow

Gave my oldest his 1st SAK as a birthday present

Got my 1st sunburn in years

and I'm taking both the kids on their 1st camping trip on friday

Never realised how busy a week it's been :-D

first this week for me where finding identifying and following muntjac tracks, finding bedding areas for the muntjac, and finding trees where they had been rubbing against them to remove winter coat as there was still hair in the bark
i also found badger prints but couldn't follow them as easily :(
Sam

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
I went on my first scout :hammock: camp in 35yrs (1st as a leader). Man I can't believe the amount of stuff they take.... I reckon I took less stuff when I last moved house.
Also apparently someone was snoring and most unfairly all the other leaders blamed me !!!! Most unfair, I can't see why they should blame me. I didn't hear a thing ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE