A wee overnighter on the hill.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
The hill being Ben A'an, in the Trossachs. First time this year ( talk about patience ! ), that time and weather were in harmony for me. Decided on the Thursday to do a wee overnighter, from the Friday to the Saturday on Ben A'An. Had a few items I wanted to try out as well, not least the 28 lbs of gear packed ( camera gear, sleep gear and cooking gear and a basic two meal food ration and water), in an old '58 webbing pack, perfect opportunity to do so. Ben A'an is a small ( by comparison ) <2000ft hill but, a steep climb over the majority of it. Rocky steps and tree roots to get over. The views from the top make it worth while though. It's an hours drive from me, so not far at all. Arrived at an almost deserted car park ( one other car ) Set off at 18:30.

Looking back down from the start. (mobile phone shot)

Looking up at the steep climb ahead (mobile phone shot)

This first view of the Ben, and a brief stop with the tripod and camera to take the shot and have a wee drink o' water !

Carrying on you then have this part to negotiate ! Sore on the old knees !! Looking back down.

Looking up and near greeting' now !

Almost there ! Looking back at the vista beginning to open up. Only a few hundred (steep) feet to the top .

The Top !!!!

Sun getting ready to set.

Sunsetting.

And so to bed, in the Mountain Bivvy bag ( bought from Bert333, of this parish ), after a cook meal and a brew on the Esbit stove ( worked really well ).

Plan was to get a few hours sleep ( hoped for five, got about four , if I was lucky ! ) Up at 04:20 to get the Sunrise.

Sun has risen above but not above "my" horizon, lol

Sun breaks my horizon.

Quick brew and some breky before doing some more pictures.

Various pictures from the (very early ) Saturday morning.

The bivvy was great, added a 3/4 air mat ( vango ) nice and comfy. Esbit stove ( meths ) was brill. 28 lbs is ( IMHO ) still too heavy but cannot think how I can lighten the load. The climb up was hard going, been a few years since I have pushed myself that hard. Camera lenses ( 2 ) are heavy , but need them . Two ltrs of water is also heavy ( gets dam heavier as you climb, pmsl ) . Tripod def' does not help weight but I need it so hay ho.

The thing was I was actually quicker going back down , than I was going , I always felt the climb down was harder in most occasions I climb, ah well, no complaint ! Meet a few folk ascending at about 09:00 and they were surprised I was up and heading beck down that early. They were gobsmacked when I said I had stayed the night on the hill, lol.

Last picture of the kit I was carrying, again taken by a mobile.

All in all, I am quite chuffed I completed it, proved to my self that I can still hack it. Looking forward to another wee trip, hopefully planning two or three a month if weather is good.

Thanks for looking

Pete

Last edited:

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Pete looks ace mate.

Microadventures are all I get up to at the moment mostly day trips. But you cant knock a quick overnighter.

Im down in Largs so doable as a day trip :) might just have to check it out it looks like a cracking walk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Great pics. That bivvy doesn't look big enough for a grown man though, maybe it's the camera lens !

Cheers, Paul

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My favourite hill :D :D

It kills me getting up it, but it's not such a huge all day effort that I can't manage it :D I have photos of me carrying Son2 on my back up it, and ones of every season as the boys walked it themselves until they're adults too. Funniest ones are the pair of them coorieing down behind a rock near the break/flattish area, keeping out of the wind and rain, munching their pieces. They'll be about six and seven in that one :)
Wonderful panoramic views from the top of the hill; really the best place to get an all round view of the Trossachs.

Beautiful photos you've shared :D It sounds like a really lovely overnighter :D
Brought back loads of great memories :D

Thank you :D

M

Last edited:

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Great pics. That bivvy doesn't look big enough for a grown man though, maybe it's the camera lens !

Cheers, Paul

Lol, if anything the lens would have "stretched " the image ! It is small but I am only 5'6" so I have space in it for some gear. It the headroom ( ( like there's none really ) thats sparse.

Really glad I have it, brill for this kinda trip with gear.

Toddy, aye lass, I also introduced my two daughters to the joys o' hillwalking by taking them this Ben as well. They got there love of Scotland from that trip. For such a wee hill , it commands magnificent views, as you say, of the surrounding area. I once scrambled the South face, that was "interesting" lol. Having a whole hill to yourself was an absolute joy as well.

Thanks for the comments folks, more than happy to share the experience.

Pete

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Brilliant photos Getting a different pack should substantially lighten the load and make for an easier carry and let you take more pics which I look forward to seeing

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The bivvy was great, added a 3/4 air mat ( vango ) nice and comfy. Esbit stove ( meths ) was brill. 28 lbs is ( IMHO ) still too heavy but cannot think how I can lighten the load. The climb up was hard going, been a few years since I have pushed myself that hard. Camera lenses ( 2 ) are heavy , but need them . Two ltrs of water is also heavy ( gets dam heavier as you climb, pmsl ) . Tripod def' does not help weight but I need it so hay ho.

Camera gear is the biggest weight I lug on a trip, before I even put my camping gear in the bag, I have 2.2-3kg of camera gear, and that's not taking the big sigma...

What camera gear are you taking? That tripod looks big and heavy. I have a canon rig, and my tripod is a Velbon Luxi F, it's 1.2kg and will take a 2.5kg load. I have been pondering replacing it with a SLIK sprint pro II, which shaves 250g off the tripod.

The big change I ponder is moving to the Fuji X series. This makes for a much lighter, but potentially better setup than my current canon rig. Just so so expensive...

Last picture of the kit I was carrying, again taken by a mobile.

All in all, I am quite chuffed I completed it, proved to my self that I can still hack it. Looking forward to another wee trip, hopefully planning two or three a month if weather is good.

The obvious weight saving opportunity there is the webbing. That stuff is heavy. You could carry all of that stuff and more in a Osprey Talon 33, and it will weight about half as much. That said, I have a full set of PLCE webbing, not that it gets used much.

Anyway, I digress. Lovely trip report, beautiful location.

Julia

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Camera gear is the biggest weight I lug on a trip, before I even put my camping gear in the bag, I have 2.2-3kg of camera gear, and that's not taking the big sigma...

What camera gear are you taking? That tripod looks big and heavy. I have a canon rig, and my tripod is a Velbon Luxi F, it's 1.2kg and will take a 2.5kg load. I have been pondering replacing it with a SLIK sprint pro II, which shaves 250g off the tripod.

The big change I ponder is moving to the Fuji X series. This makes for a much lighter, but potentially better setup than my current canon rig. Just so so expensive...

The obvious weight saving opportunity there is the webbing. That stuff is heavy. You could carry all of that stuff and more in a Osprey Talon 33, and it will weight about half as much. That said, I have a full set of PLCE webbing, not that it gets used much.

Anyway, I digress. Lovely trip report, beautiful location.

Julia

Hi Julia

Yup camera lenses are a real killer. I only take a sigma 10-20 and a canon 24-105 EF L lens, they are hefty! Tripod is aslo a killer but my Redsnapper is not overly heavy. Also a canon user like you :).

Will look into a more suitable transport system for all the kit. Webbing seemed like a solution at the time but too bulky and heavy ( and thas dry ! )

Thanks for the info'

Pete

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Great trip report Pete!
Thanks for sharing.
How about you put up a list of what you took then people can chip in? That's how I did it.
How much does your bivi weigh?
If it's that style of tent you like, have a look at this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Solo-One-Man-Tent/dp/B00322QRQE
Weigh in at 1.5 kg and you will have a bit mire head room, they can be bought for less than £30.

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

outpost31

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2009
scotland
Doesn't get much better than that, great pics. Brought back some memories for me, I really need to get up north this year.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
What a lovely spot for a bivvy!

Lovely scenery, typical softness of the Trossachs. That's now on the list. My favourite bivvy up til now has been under the other Ben Avon, Loch Avon.

Thanks for posting. :)

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Great trip report Pete!
Thanks for sharing.
How about you put up a list of what you took then people can chip in? That's how I did it.
How much does your bivi weigh?
If it's that style of tent you like, have a look at this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Solo-One-Man-Tent/dp/B00322QRQE
Weigh in at 1.5 kg and you will have a bit mire head room, they can be bought for less than £30.

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Steve

Ok here goes !

Mountain Gore-Tex Bivvy 1368g, inc' lightweight pegs and hoops, 230x80x50cm (35x15x13cm packed) This is lighter than one you linked to, space ( internal ) is not really an issue. I prefer the low profile approach ! If needed, I could also ditch it and use the 3x3 DD tarp.
Sleep bag 4 season ( extreme rating, -10 ) . Could save weight with a two season in good weather but , its Scotland remember !
Esbit 5 piece Alcohol cook set 417g
250ml of meths ( could half as only for evening and breky )
Vango UL 3/4 mat 460g
Food , VERY basic, oats or such for evening and breky, a few teabags . coffee sachets
Water, a real killer ! 2 ltrs, so thats what , about 2000g ? ( not including bladder, which is minimal )

Camera gear is body and two lenses, can't really change that, though could take a mini tripod ( or Gorilla grip ) my Redsnapper is a hefty 2268g

Definite saving could be made on the webbing as mentioned by Julia I reckon.

A VERY basic change of clothes, boxers, socks, base layer, lightweight fleece, and waterproof jacket ( ultra light and breathable , not GT tho' )

This kit is really only intended as a "mobile" kit for striking out from a base camp to hard to get to areas ( or Munros ! ). Main idea is getting images of Sunset/Sunrise then head back to camp.

Pete

p.s, thanks for all the comments folks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE