A wee overnighter on the hill.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Hi Steve

Ok here goes !

Mountain Gore-Tex Bivvy 1368g, inc' lightweight pegs and hoops, 230x80x50cm (35x15x13cm packed) This is lighter than one you linked to, space ( internal ) is not really an issue. I prefer the low profile approach ! If needed, I could also ditch it and use the 3x3 DD tarp.
Sleep bag 4 season ( extreme rating, -10 ) . Could save weight with a two season in good weather but , its Scotland remember !
Esbit 5 piece Alcohol cook set 417g
250ml of meths ( could half as only for evening and breky )
Vango UL 3/4 mat 460g
Food , VERY basic, oats or such for evening and breky, a few teabags . coffee sachets
Water, a real killer ! 2 ltrs, so thats what , about 2000g ? ( not including bladder, which is minimal )

Simple weight savings:

Swap the hooped bivvi for a bag and tarp. A Alpkit Hunka + Alpkit Riga 3.5, come in at 376g and 270g respectively, giving you a total weight of 646g. or about half what you have now. Total outlay - 65 quid. Switching to the DD tarp wont save you much, they weigh a ton (well maybe nearer 790g). If you're feeling brave, leave the tarp out and just take the bivvi bag, so your accommodation is 376g total.

Next up: esbit set, Evernew Apalachian set, gives you a single 500ml pot, a meths burner, solid fuel tablet burner, and it'll burn twigs, total weight: 161g. Need a second pot? add the 400ml mug for an extra 50g. Still want a 3rd pot? add the 600ml pan for 95g...

Water is always a big weight burden, you could perhaps have taken a 1L bladder, and a sawyer mini filter (available in a group buy for a very good price currently). This would allow you to shave a good 700g off your pack weight straight off.

All told, assuming single pot setup, we end up around 2kg of savings?
Camera gear is body and two lenses, can't really change that, though could take a mini tripod ( or Gorilla grip ) my Redsnapper is a hefty 2268g

Definite saving could be made on the webbing as mentioned by Julia I reckon.

Today I took delivery of an Osprey Tempest 30 backpack. They make a mens version the Talon 33. Should have enough space for everything you want there, and for about 800g. Failing that, maybe the Exped lightning 45, at 1000g ?

That tripod is 1kg heavier than my Velbon Ultra Luxi F, and about 1.3kg heavier than a Slik Sprint Pro II. Just to give you an idea of the weight saving potential there.

What camera body do you shoot? Not going to suggest any change, just curious as a camera geek.

A VERY basic change of clothes, boxers, socks, base layer, lightweight fleece, and waterproof jacket ( ultra light and breathable , not GT tho' )

This kit is really only intended as a "mobile" kit for striking out from a base camp to hard to get to areas ( or Munros ! ). Main idea is getting images of Sunset/Sunrise then head back to camp.

The above should give you some food for thought, a few basic changes of varying levels of expense and weight saving.

Do let us know how you get on.

Julia

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Ah just love this site !!! Even helps me spend money , pmsl !

Def' food for thought there lass.

I use a 600D atm, wanting the 5d III but thats even heavier lol.

Thanks for the input.

Pete

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Ah just love this site !!! Even helps me spend money , pmsl !

Def' food for thought there lass.

I use a 600D atm, wanting the 5d III but thats even heavier lol.

I shoot the 650d, with the 17-85 IS lens. I also take a 40mm pancake (love that lens).

I recently upgraded from a steel crusader cooker set at about 350g, to the evernew 400ml mug and a cat can stove, giving me about 300g of savings.

On my last trip out I took a SS nalgene bottle + 1.25L coke bottle, and ran out of water. My next trip, I am taking a 1.25L coke bottle and a sawyer mini filter, giving me a saving of 1kg straight off.

I can see my next camera being a Fuji X series. Lighter, better quality sensor, and a fantastic range of lenses. One day, when I have a lot more money :(

Julia

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
I shoot the 650d, with the 17-85 IS lens. I also take a 40mm pancake (love that lens).

I recently upgraded from a steel crusader cooker set at about 350g, to the evernew 400ml mug and a cat can stove, giving me about 300g of savings.

On my last trip out I took a SS nalgene bottle + 1.25L coke bottle, and ran out of water. My next trip, I am taking a 1.25L coke bottle and a sawyer mini filter, giving me a saving of 1kg straight off.

I can see my next camera being a Fuji X series. Lighter, better quality sensor, and a fantastic range of lenses. One day, when I have a lot more money :(

Julia

Sigma 10-20 and 24 - 105 EF L ( big heavy brute ) BUT what a lens ! I leave the 70-200 EF L at home on trips !!! Sadly I have invested too much in Canon gear to change manufacturer !

The Sawyer mini looks the biz I have to admit .

Pete

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Sigma 10-20 and 24 - 105 EF L ( big heavy brute ) BUT what a lens ! I leave the 70-200 EF L at home on trips !!! Sadly I have invested too much in Canon gear to change manufacturer !

I have the sigma 120-400, which is a complete beast of a lens, 1.7kg. I don't tend to take it for trips other than the occasional day hike where I want to target wildlife. It's a beautiful lens, but so so heavy.

For me a switch to fuji X would be a big thing, I've been a Canon girl since the A70, and then the 350d. But I only have 3 lenses for the 2 bodies. Would never sell them tho, the are my babies. The fuji X just keep calling me... The new weather proof zooms look so shiny... and the sensor is amazing...
The Sawyer mini looks the biz I have to admit .

I hope it is, I bought one on Friday for 30 quid, only to find the group buy has them at 17 quid... But then I need it before the group buy will be ready.

Julia

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
I have the sigma 120-400, which is a complete beast of a lens, 1.7kg. I don't tend to take it for trips other than the occasional day hike where I want to target wildlife. It's a beautiful lens, but so so heavy.

For me a switch to fuji X would be a big thing, I've been a Canon girl since the A70, and then the 350d. But I only have 3 lenses for the 2 bodies. Would never sell them tho, the are my babies. The fuji X just keep calling me... The new weather proof zooms look so shiny... and the sensor is amazing...

I hope it is, I bought one on Friday for 30 quid, only to find the group buy has them at 17 quid... But then I need it before the group buy will be ready.

Julia

Just added my name to the GB, thanks for the heads up lass.

I am NOT even gonna look at that Fuji X !!!! Waaaaaaay too dangerous for me. ;-)

Pete

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
What a spot for a bivvy ,, still never done that hill yet , I just bye pass it while heading north ,,, mmmm must do it now ... great views ,, thanks for sharing

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Great trip report, loved the photos and what a place top pitch up for the night.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Thats a cracking Pano there Toddy, cheers for digging it out.

I had a wee go at warming up the Sunset picture.

Pete11

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's more like it really :D
I think whoever took the panorama shot must have done it in Winter.
HWMBLT keeps threatening to take a decent tripod up with him next time, but Son1 has some superb camera stuff; I might pester him to take a hike :D

M

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Should def' take some images up there again Mary (?) , heck , even a bean bag with the camera sitting on it would probably be enough.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE