A Walk in Vättlefjäll Nature Reserve.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
On my day off last Friday, i went for a short walk in Vättlefjäll Nature Reserve, near Gothenburg. It's the same area that I went canoeing in September ( http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45596 ), so I thought that some of you might like to see the difference.

Some of the pics are taken from the same places, see if you can guess which ones. I started off at the canoe hire centre at Vättleporten ( closed for the season ), and walked overland to the northern windshelter on Stora Kroksjön. On the way back I follwed the ski tracks along the edge of the frozen lakes. I'm hoping to go back there this weekend for a couple of days of ski touring.

map.jpg

Leaving the car park, temp. -10 C:

P1080690.jpg

On the forest track:

P1080693.jpg

P1080694.jpg

At the world's shortest portage:

P1080695.jpg

P1080698.jpg

P1080699.jpg

Continuing on to the narrows on the lake:

P1080702.jpg

At the narrows. There's a woodshed here, so I got a couple of split logs here and strapped them onto my pack for afterwards:

P1080703.jpg

The trail through the woods:

P1080704.jpg

The blasted channel:

P1080705.jpg

I took to the ice now, and followed the shoreline around to the windshelter:

P1080706.jpg

The windshelter:

P1080707.jpg

I split one of the logs down and made a small fire:

P1080714.jpg

After a bit of grub and a sit down, I headed back, staying on the ice this time all the way back to the narrows:

P1080719.jpg

P1080716.jpg

P1080721.jpg

When I got back to the car it showed -13 C. I'd had a brilliant afternoon out, and scoped out some places for this weekend's camping trip.

Cheers, Michael.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Superb pics Michael

Quite a differance to the last time you were there

That's a good layer of frost on your wool shirt

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
That looks superb Michael. Great Pictures. The light as the sun drops a bit is fantastic with the snow.

I quite fancy a trip over to Sweden this year.

Thanks for sharing.

Andy

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
My contract finishes on Friday, so I'm having a weekend of camping and flying home on Monday evening. I've had a great time ( on my days off ), and I'll be returning to Sweden in the future.

Cheers, Michael.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers for posting,good to see the difference from your last canoe trip there.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hepp, all pepped up to go now.. I will have a look on thursday to see wether it will be possible ski, or in if we, in worst case, will have to walk.

The ice should be safe to walk or ski on anyway.

Tried my mittens today, they are very good, built a quinze (small one) and they were ace. Would you like some blanket liners for yours Micheal?

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
If you've got any going spare mate, that would be great. There are some massive piles of snow outside site ( from where the snowplughs have cleared the car park ) which would make an excellent quinze, but I don't think that security would be too happy about someone camping just outside the gates.

Cheers, Michael.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Great photos, thanks for posting them I enjoyed it, looks like a nice place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE