A very special spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Carved this from a sweet chestnut blank I'd roughed out at the Sussex meet last month, finished with tung oil

Why is it special? Firstly, it's being sent to my niece in Australia & secondly, it's the first spoon I've carved with the hook knife I made myself. It's not terribly sharp (hoping the FGYT one I'm getting for Christmas will be sharper!) but it is all mine. Steel came from an old brake pad!

ff8031f4.jpg

It's not easy to see but the end of the handle is carved into a heart shape

7fb84e75.jpg

471173ce.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
superb, you should be ok sending it to Aus, i sent a couple of spoons down under and there was no issue with them going through, the only time ive ever heard of them getting snagged is if there are seeds or nuts in the package as well.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That means a lot, thanks!

No prob, it's been really nice to see and follow the progress you have been making since that first one you carved at Broadstone, addictive this spoon carving isnt it?

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I hadn't thought of using those. Is it from the backing?
Did you forge it or grind the excess away?
Nice spoon btw

Yes, it was a conveniently thick piece of steel. Not terribly long but I'm not planning on batoning with it!

Cut it to shape with angle grinder & then ground edge. Heated, quenched & tempered. It's very crude & needs way more sharpening but it's not totally useless as you can see!

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice grain on it Spandit.
AS for shipping it to OZ, from what I have heard they don't like wooden things at all, never mind the bark thing.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I am not trying to detract from the special feeling it is to make something from a natural material for someone you care for, But I do belive we should repect the directives of a country trying very hard to protect its native species from foreign infestations and infections.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE