A Very Interesting Stove...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Here!

The technology!

The pictures!

shapeimage_2.png
collapse.png

Current Prototype Stove:

1. • Boils 1 liter of water in 4 minutes.

2. • Kindles in 2 minutes.

3. • Burns twigs, sticks, underbrush, pine cones, pellets, rice husks.

4. • Folds for easy packing.

5. • 7.5” Tall X 4.75” Diameter.

6. • Weighs 1lb 10oz.

Compact Model Camp Stove:

1. • 35% smaller than prototype stove.

2. • Weighs 15 ounces.

The surprise... No batteries required for the fan!

these keep popping up :rolleyes:

cant see the point myself if the fuel is gathered etc when you stop weight of fuel isnt a problem so who cares if it takes an extra couple of mins to boil water
if fuel is that scarce then you need to carry another type anyway :lmao:

not exactly small or light is it espesialy as it looks like you cant pack stuff in it so takes up all its volume

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm impressed that the big saucepan fits inside it. See second pic with the arrow clearly showing it's gone inside. Doctor Who's Tardis tenchnlogy is finally here! Give it a couple of years and someone named Scotty will be beaming ourselves into the wood instead of having to walk. Welcome to the 21st century.

I have no opinion on this stove, except it looks a bit "plasticy", those foldaway legs especially. Maybe it's the bees knees, the technolgy looks slick enough.

"never carry fuel... except what you pick up along the way" :rolleyes: and how will that work then? Will it float along behind you carried by trained wood fairies, which the buyer supplies perhaps?

Hmmm call me a cynic, but doesn't picking up what you find along the way for fuel involve carrying?

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I'm impressed that the big saucepan fits inside it. See second pic with the arrow clearly showing it's gone inside.rrying,

I think their trying to show the coloured fan section packing away inside the burn chamber. The coloured bits do make it look plasticky but I'm not sure they are.

I have no opinion on this stove, except it looks a bit "plasticy", those foldaway legs especially. Maybe it's the bees knees, the technolgy looks slick enough.

"never carry fuel... except what you pick up along the way" :rolleyes: and how will that work then? Will it float along behind you carried by trained wood fairies, which the buyer supplies perhaps?

Hmmm call me a cynic, but doesn't picking up what you find along the way for fuel involve carrying?

The coloured bits do make it look plasticky but I'm not sure they actually are.

For a multi-day hike it's only carrying a burns ( or 2s ) worth of fuel for a fratction of the day/distance

I've always like the idea, on and off I've been thinking of ways to do something similar with my hoblow stove.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Well, I like the look of this.

Keen to minimise my environmental impact I like the idea of a wood gas stove to reduce the amount of wood I need to use. The improved efficiency also reduce the particulate matter released into the air. Yes, I know the scale of impacts from me occasionally burning a bit of wood are minimal, but I still see it as good practice to think about these things.

However, I don't find the passive wood gas stoves work that well compared to the powered versions, which then mean you need batteries/solar panels, which I'm not that keen on either.

This seems to give you the benefits of it being fan driven, but without the need for batteries.

I suspect however, it will cost more than I am willing to pay however.

Graham

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well I haven't seen one with a ThermoElectric Generator before!
I think it's the TEG that stows in the stove, not the pan.
And I think I'll give it a miss...

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Are youse using the word 'plasticy' to mean 'flimsy'? It need not be; plastic can be lightweight and very strong, I don't know if you can tell from a picture whether it'll hold up or not.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'd like to play with one before I committed to buy it.
It certainly looks interesting, but how robust is it in the real world?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'll stick to my gas, meths, standard woodgas or honey stoves. I don't see the advantage of a heavy wood stove over a lightweight one. I don't see how in thee life of a woodgas stove any extra efficiencies in this stove will make any difference environmentally and the little ash created in a standard one is negligble in real terms as well.

People trying to advance the technology is good but how far can you really go and how much of a difference does it make? The bushcooker type of woodgas stove is quite well optimised IMHO. Why bother with this? Weight of stove is more important than weight of fuel. You can often pick up fuel once you have pitched up for the night. That means you have no issues with fuel weight. Thee more gimicky of over-designed the stove is the more weight and the more likely you'll find you'll want to leave it behind if backpacking. If base camping or car camping then you can always use a fire or a better or bigger stove anyway. A fire bowl and a grill for example.

Nice looking stove but I think for me I will just look and not touch.

Biker

Glen - I was being facetious about the pot going inside as I was with the fairies carrying your wood for you. The fairies I've trained to do that refuse and start quoting working time directives at me. Little b****rs even formed a union!

Mytos - I applaud your "Every little helps" attitude. Nice to read people actually care.

Armie - Point taken. It just looks like if you sneeze too hard near it, it'll fall over and shatter.

Paul B - Yup, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

For all I know this could be the next best thing since wood was invented, but as Graham_S said, until I have one in my hands and cooked a meal on it I can't pass judgement. Be interesting to see if anyone buys one. I'd like to read a write up on it.

"Millions of nazi trucks ran on wood gas" so there is a renewable enegry source other than fossil fuels eh? Hmmm and there aren't many trees in the middle east are there either? :rolleyes: uh ohhhhhh.

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I, for one am pleased that people have the initiative to develop and improve on what has gone before.

Given the strengths of industrial plastics its laughable to suggest that they'll fall apart, based on a photograph! Perhaps someone should advise Boeing to cease production of plastic bodied airliners!

Were it not for development and improvement, the critics would be making their posts by carrier pigeon...

I admire those whom dedicate their energies to exploring the boundaries of current thinking, people like the guy that's making volcano kettles which are truly lightweight:

Weight: approx. 6.0 oz
Dimensions: appox. 4" wide by 7.5" tall when collapsed
Boiling capacity: 20 oz
Time to boil 20 oz (dry twigs): 6 min
Time to boil 16 oz (dry twigs): 4.5 min

Trevor Baylis was right about the attitude towards new thinking!

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
For all I know this could be the next best thing since wood was invented, but as Graham_S said, until I have one in my hands and cooked a meal on it I can't pass judgement..

Are you aware of these http://www.woodgascampstove.com/

This was the stove I was referring to in my post.

They light almost instantly, just get a a bit of tinder lit, plug in the fan and away it goes.

The fire box is sealed so its pretty well immune to the wind. But this also means that if you haven't got the fan going its a totally useless lump of metal.

Its totally smoke free as the fan keeps the fire burning consistently.

Within reason, it needs little attention to keep it going as you can just bung wood into it when it gets low and the fan forced air/heat ensures the wood lights quickly and smoke is burnt off.

Designed for third world countries where fuel is in short supply, they are meant to use 25% the fuel of an open fire.

I have the XL version, and I love it, but I would rather not be relying on rechargeable batteries/solar panel.

I can't see the Bio stove being as good as the Spenton, as the fan isn't going to kick in until after you have some heat in the fire. However, it might be a good compromise between the Spenton and the Bush Buddy, as the latter, much as I like it, is really finnicky to use compared to a standard or posh hobo stove and the Spenton.

Graham

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Given the strengths of industrial plastics its laughable to suggest that they'll fall apart, based on a photograph! Perhaps someone should advise Boeing to cease production of plastic bodied airliners!
:dunno: Different "plastic". Stealth aircraft are plastic as is my plastic ruler.

Thermoelectric generator, that is cool. Clothing someday?

I always wanted to try one of those Sierra Zip Stoves which seems to get mixed reviews. Has anyone here ever made something similar? Little electric fans are basically free.

This particular stove (Biolite) does look like it belongs in Sharper Image but I do applaude their effort. Not quite refined enough, looks like a prototype. Ask them for (a free) one, Helix. Run some field tests and review it on here. :dunno: Might be worth an email?

I bet we start to see more of this type of stove on the market. It may seem like no big deal to many folk on here but if the "backpacking" crowd gets into it... sort of an open market (hint to people who make stuff). :)

How about a magnetic dynamo in your double-bladed paddle shaft? That might charge a small cell over the course of a day. I-Paddle :rolleyes:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Ask them for (a free) one, Helix. Run some field tests and review it on here. :dunno: Might be worth an email?
...​
How about a magnetic dynamo in your double-bladed paddle shaft? That might charge a small cell over the course of a day. I-Paddle :rolleyes:

I've only reviewed stuff which I've bought in the same way and at the same prices that any customer could. The stove makers will probably give samples to testers whom have a high profile and are rather more media savvy than I.

At the speeds which I paddle and travel, it'd have to be called the 'I-Paddle... Slowly!'
happy0009.gif

I'm just importing some titanium sheet and have bought quite a bit of aluminium to use in stove construction, modification and other projects. I can only imagine the look of horror :eek: on the face of the metal fabrication engineer when I return with my latest request!
happy0123.gif

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I've only reviewed stuff which I've bought in the same way and at the same prices that any customer could. The stove makers will probably give samples to testers whom have a high profile and are rather more media savvy than I.

At the speeds which I paddle and travel, it'd have to be called the 'I-Paddle... Slowly!'
happy0009.gif

I'm just importing some titanium sheet and have bought quite a bit of aluminium to use in stove construction, modification and other projects. I can only imagine the look of horror :eek: on the face of the metal fabrication engineer when I return with my latest request!
happy0123.gif

especially when you turn up with a lump of orange plastic as well :D

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
especially when you turn up with a lump of orange plastic as well :D

Not in my lifetime...
sign0195.gif

I absolutely hate orange, can't stand the colour! Except on oranges, where I think it looks just right!
happy0034.gif

How ironic then that I used to own the one vehicle in the world which was only produced in orange!
happy0009.gif

bondbug-1.jpg

Which is why mine was white, the only orange parts on the entire vehicle were related to the indicators!

I always wanted to make an amphibious Bond Bug!
happy0054.gif

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
The stove does look cool and the technology is interesting but I think we have to look at some background info before we can actually judge the stove. This is a very early development of this type of stove

A thermo-electric fan is cool and I think that there are a few stove designers playing around with this idea but I think this is the first commercial model.

For the size of the stove the boil times seem nothing special for a wood gas stove with a fan. Some natural draught stoves of around that size can boil a 4 liters of water in around 12 minutes in the demonstration video the guy said that you can boil half a liter in around 3-4 minutes

The stove design itself seems not to be very efficient, The gas-O2 ratio is wrong which can be seen from the orange flame and the sooted pot and the gas production rate needs to be controlled, the flame cap is quite violent and the stove is producing more gas than it can burn cleanly.

The stove is cool but needs to be developed upon. I can't wait to see what stoves using thermo-electric fans will be produced in the future!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE