A trip I could have done without...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
I've had a similar injury and found the numb bit sort of shrinks to next to nothing and the feeling returns. Failing that I suggest taking a bow saw to the arm just below the elbow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Back from minor injuries unit. Was seen within about 15 mins, out in under an hour. No concern about the feeling post cut, they'll worry later once it's healed. They put 6 steri strips on it this time. Great service from Kent and Canterbury Minor Injuries unit.

Photo post clean

J

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's a small area on one of my fingers with no feeling after I stuck a scalpel through it (with the aid of a full rucksack, oddly), but it isn't an issue day to day.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Yep looks pretty healthy to me and Chris is right, the numb area gets better as the nerves heal/swelling (if any) goes down.
He is also wrong in that to completely solve any further complications the only solution is amputation at the neck. :yikes: :D

K&C are pretty good all round from our experiences with them, glad you got a speedy and positive turn around.

Rob.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I sliced a finger to the bone as a teenager (making models of Napoleoic soldiers ...slipped with an Exacto knife... sliced all 4 fingers of my left hand, index to the bone some 5mm above the nail) and had a numb area for years... it came back eventually :)
Still got the scar though...

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Just taken the steri strips off, it's not pretty at this stage.

Photo link

Slightly worryingly, the area beyond the cut has no feeling to it, as if it's been anaesthetised. I just phoned 111, who say I need to goto a+e immediately... which seems a little over reactive... Time to wander to hospital.
J
It's possible that you've severed a small nerve. I did that with a cut on my thumb, it did eventually regain sensation some months later but it itched horribly while it did so. An itch inside the tissue that you can't even scratch is utterly infuriating.

My best cuts have all been silly ones. The thumb was a corned beef tin. Then there was the big ham slicing machine that took a very shallow but very painful slice off the side of my finger.

And the oddest of all, I was fast rewinding an open reel recording tape in the studio and the cat which had snuck in jumped on my shoulder. I jumped and my finger went into the spinning reel. There was a lovely arc of fine splatters of blood and fingertip up the wall and across the ceiling.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My best one was hitting myself in the thumb with an axe - whilst demonstrating the safe use of an axe to some children :eek: Only a tiny scar, but huge embarassment.

I keep coming back to this thread because I started one with exactly the same title only a few weeks ago, and I keep thinking the replies are to my one.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Thank you everyone for your tails of injury. They are rather amusing.

Tonight I discovered that the most painful thing I can do with this injury is opening a bottle of beer. Not sure what, but the way I hold my left hand to open beer is agony with this cut... I'll have to change my technique...

Jh

MrSpeedyBiker

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2016
Chandlers ford
My best one was hitting myself in the thumb with an axe - whilst demonstrating the safe use of an axe to some children :eek: Only a tiny scar, but huge embarassment.

I keep coming back to this thread because I started one with exactly the same title only a few weeks ago, and I keep thinking the replies are to my one.
Saw this and it reminded me of a work college demonstrating the safe use of a nail gun, after showing them how not to use it he lifted his hand with a block of 4x2 nailed to it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Saw this and it reminded me of a work college demonstrating the safe use of a nail gun, after showing them how not to use it he lifted his hand with a block of 4x2 nailed to it.

Bet the college crucified him for that! :eek:

(I'll just go now shall I?)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
I'll bet it was a pigs foot in the morning. My mother used to say, 'it will be a pigs foot in the morning if you don't stop messing with it' when I cut myself. When I was around 9 yrs of age in nineteen plonkety dot, I once was foolish enough to put one of those old double sided razor blades into a jacket side pocket and forgot about it. The very next day while wearing it and leaving the house to see my mates the inevitable happened where I put my right hand in the pocket and, oww-what was that? On looking at my hand I had cleanly removed the tip of my right index finger(the tip was in my pocket luckily and about the size of a 5p piece)I'd only gone a few yards from our back door and an elderly lady neighbour heard my plaintiff cry and came out of her back yard-straightaway she went and got a small bandage and some germolene! I fished the fingertip out of my pocket and blew the fluff and dust etc. off it-she blobbed a lump of said oinkment on it and after wiping away my blood with her pinny placed it aboard my finger then wrapped it, no, mummified it with the bandage. There it stayed for a long time before I took a very tentative look inside but lo and behold when I did, it was okay, badly scarred but okay. Its survived all these years and I still have the scar. I was even more lucky really because, as I am left handed, I was able to hide the injury from my parents. The truth was it was one of dads old razor blades I had nicked and if he'd found out, boy would I have had a hiding- sore finger or not!

we've all done it
and some keep on doing it

Tom.:empty:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Nonn-bushy-injury

roller skating to bus stop. fell backwards

fragmented fracture of radius, complete dislocation of wrist, with hand-bones displaced *above* forearm

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Not actually as painful as you might expect (although I've cleared the shelves of pracetemol). Bit worried how weak wrist will be, long-term.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE