A successful hike or a dismal failure?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

Can a hike be successful if you never reach your destination?

Some of you may recognize this hike from the pictures below. The 16.4 mile (26.4 km) round trip climbs 4,839 feet from the valley floor to the summit. The hike begins at an elevation of 4,000’ (1,220 m) and climaxes at 8,839’ (2,694 m). The combination of distance, elevation gain, and altitude make it a formidable hike.

The trail ascends the last 400 vertical feet at up to a 45-degree angle. I decided to stop at the base of this last climb.

This September was the second time I have done this hike. And it was the second time I turned around just short of the summit. Part of me was dissatisfied not to make it all the way. But overall I felt pretty good. The view was exhilarating!

If you set a goal for yourself and then fail to achieve it, can you still call your hike successful?

Oh, and don’t worry about hurting my feelings. I am quite comfortable with my decision to turn around. :)

Here are some pictures from my turnaround point, just short of Half Dome.

bcfrm_HD.jpg

bcfrm_c1.jpg

bcfrm_c2.jpg

- Woodsorrel

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you set a goal for yourself and then fail to achieve it, can you still call your hike successful?

Any goal beyond enjoying my time outdoors is a failure in itself in my view. I detest my time spent "going for a walk" being turned into some form of competition with objectives and success or failure. The only success I need is to enjoy spending time outdoors - I have nothing to prove.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If you had a great time, then it was not a failure. Failure is a very harsh word to use. Congratulations on your success and some time well spent.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
The only time an adventure becomes a failure is when you let ego rule better judgement. You obviously had reason to stop and return, that, is better judgement.
Cracking pics btw.
Rob.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Most definitely not a failure, the journey can often be the greatest part of an adventure.

I would be very happy to have reached where you did.

That is a very intimidating ladder climb, not sure I would go for it at my age and ability level.

rorymax

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I have failed (if failed is what you want to call it ) to complete a few big walks but enjoyed failing all of them :)

BenMid

Dec 16, 2012
Chipping Norton
You have the mature attitude in this one. I'd feel like I'd not achieved my goal, but I suspect that that's a personality flaw on my part there. It's a formidable climb after a fair bit of hiking.

I enjoyed reading everyone's responses. It appears many of us have similar approaches to wilderness trips.

Many times our professional lives are goal-driven, often uncompromisingly so. One of my favorite things about bushcraft is that you get to determine what makes you happy. For me that often means letting the journey be the destination.

Regards,

- Woodsorrel

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Did you enjoy yourself? Do you feel that the trip was worth it?

If that's a yes then it was a successful hike.

Nice photo by the way.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Don't think you could find any sane person that could call a walk like that with those gorgeous views dismal in any way.

For me personally though if i don't succeed in reaching my planned goal then it does bug me.
Don't get me wrong a couple of my top 5 hikes were ones were i didn't get to the intended goal, it's not like i don't enjoy them, it's just i'm the type of bloke that gets enjoyment from pushing myself and reaching hard set goals.

Whenever i've been in similar situations i am always driven to return and complete it.

By the same token though, if i'm in a area for any length of time and there is a mountain within view i also have a very strong pull to walk up it.

Probably a good idea i don't move to the Himalayas :lmao:

... By the same token though, if i'm in a area for any length of time and there is a mountain within view i also have a very strong pull to walk up it.

Probably a good idea i don't move to the Himalayas :lmao:

I know exactly how you feel! It seems there are others who feel this way too...

“The mountains are calling and I must go.”

― John Muir

This quote is very popular on T-shirts in the US. John Muir was a Scottish-American naturalist, author, and one of America's first conservationists. He helped get Yosemite protected and founded the Sierra Club (the preeminent organization for American wilderness conservation). When I see someone wearing a shirt with this quote on it, I know he's a fellow hiker/backpacker.

So we are in good company (along with most of the members of this forum)! :)

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE