A stick and string

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
I wanted to make a bow using simple tools.I used a hatchet 4in1 rasp and cabinet scraper, the wood I chose was a nice piece of Sloe (prunus spinoza) it’s a very dense tough wood that has all the properties that would make a good bow. After much searching I found a suitable candidate and got to work. It is a little shorter than I would have liked at 65in and it bends through the handle, but at 68lb at 28inches it’s a fast little bow. Once I had made it I kind of fell in love with its simplicity so I put on some buffalo horn overlays on the tips and sanded and sealed it. I don’t shoot this one much but I like to have it on the bow rack as an example of what a simple stick and string can make.
010.jpg
[/IMG]
002-1.jpg

023.jpg

033.jpg

Since then Sloe has become one of my favourite bow woods, here is another stave being heat treated and corrected in a form.

IMG_0354.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great stuff mate, and nice one for getting some shots of your work up..bout time.
That is a lovely bow but sometimes its those "simple" sticks that are the hardest to tiller especially with all that character.

You certainly did that stick proud.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Thanks for all the compliments, I wanted to show this one as it is perhaps my most "primitive" looking bow. Being a bend through the handle bow it does register a discharge as you loose
the arrow, but again I kind of like that, it’s like primitive fire arms - big bang, big kick and lots of smoke = fun!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE