A South African Braai for dinner.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
2nbsvhx.jpg

So here's a little grill I brought back from SA for about 8 quid, it kind of fits in my fire pit, there's a few anxious wobble moments but it'll do. Plus it's a good car boot addition. The legs fold flat and it weighs enough to be up for a short tramp in.

We're really lucky in Bristol to have a South African shop in St. Nick's market where we can get all the things we occasionally miss, mostly food & booze !!

Here we have smashed up spuds with Boerwors, chakalaka and salad. Essentially a classic Braai (BBQ) although we'd usually have Pap (maize porridge) instead of spuds. And more meat. Pork chops, fish & lamb all at the same time !!

Boerwors (translated is farmer sausage) is a distinct tasting South African sausage served in a swirl similar to a cumberland. Howerver it is somewhat drier. It's made from Pork, Beef, vinegar, s'n'p and mixed spice.

Chakalaka although I'm sure recipes vary is as follows (well my way anyhow):

Plenty of olive oil (more than you think, to act as a transporting medium for the flavours).
1 Lrg onion.
3 cloves garlic.
Enough chillis (whatever variety) to make it super hot.
Curry powder (I use Madras, very African right !!).
2 grated carrots.
Equal amount of shredded cabbage.
2 Peppers (1 green, 1 red).
Tin of Toms.
S'n'P.

Fry together using the usual routine. Some people throw in a can of baked beans but I prefer to stick to the fresh ingredients, although I may try it with pinto beans some time.

It's a standard side for most things, even served cold on bread is great. My crusader mug has tackled this second only to tea !!

Spuds are par-boiled on the Braai, then drained off, butter added (too much !!) Rosemary and mixed pepper. Keep slinging 'em about, with the lid on the billy it's like an oven, so you get some crispy bits :)

We actually serve this with a salad also, although seemingly a bit off kilter it makes for a 4 x texture to the meal and provides that crisp fresh crunch to the deal. (Leaves, cucumber, feta, dressing, plus extras if around).

The chakalaka is the extra stretch that I think we in the UK ignore, a freshly cooked sauce is paramount now in my book.

Cook all of the above for ages whilst drinking wine and singing !!

Accompany with Fishing tales, red wine, firewood for after, 70's rock and prog for a great evening.

Born up a tree !!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Brilliant, gonna have to pinch you chakalaka recipe this weekend Bru! same as you lucky enough to have an SA deli here in North Camp( next to a cowboy shop OH YEAH BABY!) Wifey is from Rhodesia and nearly wet here self looking at the stuff in there, koeksusters and pebble sweets, enough meats to make you sing, lovely! away to woods this weekend so going to grab some me thinks fresh for tomorrow night and drywors(sp) for Saturday night, maybe a milk tart too!!!!!!!!nom nom nom that might not make it out though.

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Southey: Next to a cowboy shop......awesome. But Biltong does kick jerky's bottom I reckon. Still good shopping experience right there. Rhodesia eh ;) Yeah mate give the recipe a go maybe someone on here has a better recipe (Or pop to that store and pick up a tin All Gold/Koo chakalaka are nice. But don't foget to use too much oil !! It makes it more authentic by far !! Ha ha.

Plus koeksisters were also a favourite pocket thing for a hike....umm actually even a week afterwards if trousers not worn and said snack forgotten !!

Tank: same my wife's from SA also, our last trip there really brought it all home as to quality of life even for a blighty enthusiast.

John: You must have happened upon that sauce idea...surely ?! Never heard of it certainly not tried it but it sounds like it could actually work pretty well, creamy, smooth, boozy along with mmmmmmmmmm kudu mmmmmmmm kudu. Wow.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Southey: Next to a cowboy shop......awesome. But Biltong does kick jerky's bottom I reckon. Still good shopping experience right there. Rhodesia eh ;) Yeah mate give the recipe a go maybe someone on here has a better recipe (Or pop to that store and pick up a tin All Gold/Koo chakalaka are nice. But don't foget to use too much oil !! It makes it more authentic by far !! Ha ha.

Plus koeksisters were also a favourite pocket thing for a hike....umm actually even a week afterwards if trousers not worn and said snack forgotten !!

Tank: same my wife's from SA also, our last trip there really brought it all home as to quality of life even for a blighty enthusiast.

John: You must have happened upon that sauce idea...surely ?! Never heard of it certainly not tried it but it sounds like it could actually work pretty well, creamy, smooth, boozy along with mmmmmmmmmm kudu mmmmmmmm kudu. Wow.

I had said Kudu steak and sauce near Durban a few years back - it is a great combo...but then Kudu is fantastic meat that will taste great no matter what you have with it!

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Agreed, it's also a great leather to work with. I have a tobacco pouch made from it, great colour and very supple.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Thinks its time I treated the wife to a trip to the SA shop near us. Every time we go it cost us nearly £50 cos we both get carried away.... don't get much for our money. The wifes favorite is cream soda and biltong. Mines biltong and castle.

And the crisps. Miss them . And to meats.. and spices..

MK-MIKE

Dec 2, 2009
Milton Keynes
Hmm, all good. I'm from SA myself and love biltong, boerwors amd the like i have a fantastic SA shop near me and often pick up kudu and springbok steaks for the braai as well :) along with chilli bite mix.
The wife loves biltong and grape fanta (i grew up on green cream soda and nik naks!)
Just visited my family up north and my biltong order came to £120!!

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I first tried boerwors in the snow on an island in the river tay, they were excellent, so i went over to brash in Edinburgh and picked up some of theirs, somehow they just werent as good, If anyone can recomend me a supplier that do mail order it would be much appreciated as I fancy having a Braai this year for my wifes birthday party.

Anyone looking for Kudu in the UK can be found here http://www.keziefoods.co.uk/products/alternativemeats

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE