A simple chemists question.....Iodine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi i have a bottle of iodine bought in the last 5 years i have not used.

Does Iodine go out of date for water purification use? :confused:

also the bottle lid is broken not enough to loose the contents but enough to stain the label and everything else in the large container it was in an orangy brown :( .

is The Iodine still safe to use if it has been open to the air for goodness knows how many months or years? (the bottle still seems full).

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Iodine crystals I assume is what you have.

These consist of pure iodine (I2, two atoms of Iodine per molecule) and while they do sublime (form iodine gas) they should not degrade for water purification purposes.

The orange/brown stain across the label is from the iodine gas reacting with the paper. Iodine gas is very corrosive so you will want to replace that cap.

If the crystals are still free flowing and not clumped up from moisture I would not hesitate to use these for water purification purposes. Presumably you will be making an iodine saturated water solution (like Polar Pure) for water purification purposes so even if clumped up these would still work, but the clumping would indicate exposure to moisture as well as air.

I have used USP iodine that was ancient for making vials suitable for the Kahn-Vassher method of iodine treatment of water.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I think that its probably iodine in liquid form. Which I believe is iodine in alcohol, the only problem that I can see with it is that if the alcohol has evaporated or there has been some dilution of the liquid then the normal method of dosing by drops per litre maybe inaccurate.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i have the liquid form,
with the pipette (or dropper) as part of the lid.
i didn't know it was corrosive!
cheers for the advice.

shona

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2004
Scotland
Rappleby

Iodine doesn't go out of date and will still be suitable as a water purifier (you know that it doesn't kill everything though?) It is also useful as an aniseptic.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I use the liquid form as well and mine has a use by date on it.
For the £1.50 i paid for it i wouldn't take the risk, bin it and cope with the expense every few years!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
An alcohol solution of Iodine with a leaking lid....I would bin that too. (I always wanted to use bin as a verb). :D This is likely to be fine to use but like Kimboko states the concentration is likely not as stated on the label.

Iodine is a halogen and it is very reactive. Fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine and astatine are all halogens. Their outer shells are lacking one electron so these easily form metal salts like sodium chloride, potassium iodide etc. Their reactivity is why they make good water purification chemicals. Fluorine gas is so reactive that it is used to etch glass (or silicon chips).

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
If you are using iodiene to treat water. Do make sure that anyone who is drinking it is NOT on thyroid medication.

Iodine will affect the natural production of thyroid hormones and cause them all sorts of interesting problems... as well as screwing your week end.

Probably the best bet is a small silver colloid generator contact this chap

aim@new.co.za he makes a generator about the size of two match boxes.

S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE