a simple canoe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i want a simple to make and light weight canoe for fishing , it wont be doing much ather than taking me 40 yards out into a lake to fish, heres a basic design scetch.Obviously i would have a treadboard on the floor. would this work?

canoe.jpg

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
FF,

Have you had a look at the info on the electronic books on this site, there are plans to make a 14ft canoe from plywood. Doesn't look too complicated either.

Andy

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
If I was you I would pop over to www.songofthepaddle.co.uk and check out some of the self build tutorial as I would say that your initial design would unstable and a pig to paddle with is zero rocker and also prone to leaking due to the length on 'seams' under the waterline and them being at right angles.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Have a look here for what you want, Fishfish.

Complete plans, all you have to do is trace the patterns on the ply, cut them, assemble the panels with nylon ties, some glass tape, a bit of epoxy and there you are, They are good designs. Waiting for the paint to dry is what takes the longest!

I have built a couple of the boats and canoes and they are very easy to build and cheap as well. You can use cheap ply, soft wood and ordinary house paint and because they don't spend that much time in the water, will last quite a while, as long as you don't let them fill up with water during the winter!!!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Also do a search for ... pirogue. Lots of sizes and variations on them.

Plus coracles and the Indian version called a "bull boat" can also be made with a canvas cover instead of beef or buffalo hide.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

How about this? http://mungobah.blogspot.com/2007/01/canoe-of-three-planks.html

Having read a fair bit about building canoes, I was surprised to come across a unique method of building a canoe - or at least unique to my knowledge.
canoe.gif

Absolutely fascinating - I suppose you could use either thin boards taken from a log by splitting or bark peeled from a tree. I found this method while perusing Francis Galton's 'The Art of Travel or, Shifts and Contrivances Available in Wild Countries'.

canoe.of.three.planks.gif

If you end up building one, I'd LOVE to see pictures of it...

Cheers,

Mungo

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
How about this? http://mungobah.blogspot.com/2007/01/canoe-of-three-planks.html

Having read a fair bit about building canoes, I was surprised to come across a unique method of building a canoe - or at least unique to my knowledge.
canoe.gif

Absolutely fascinating - I suppose you could use either thin boards taken from a log by splitting or bark peeled from a tree. I found this method while perusing Francis Galton's 'The Art of Travel or, Shifts and Contrivances Available in Wild Countries'.

canoe.of.three.planks.gif

If you end up building one, I'd LOVE to see pictures of it...

Cheers,

Mungo

Wouldn't the wood split far to easily in a canoe like that? I don't think it would be a strong boat.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
looks like an intresting design.a friend and i built a boat last year but iy was far too heavy and bulky to be of any use to me.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Fishfish

Canoes and coracles displace surprisingly little water even with the degree of ballast that I provide. I was paddling on the Loire week before last in water little more than ankle deep at times.

There was a guy at Bewdley museum making coracles a while back he ran courses for people wanting to make their own, might be worth a call. I was surprised by their agility and carrying capacity.

Pothunter.

Wouldn't the wood split far to easily in a canoe like that? I don't think it would be a strong boat.

Here is a link with clearer information on the 'Canoe of Three Planks'. I think that if you carefully hewed thin planks, then the canoe would be very strong and light. Structurally it looks quite sound. I suppose you could use pine pitch and spruce roots to bind the edges, similar to the way you would do with a canoe. Or more 'modernly', use fibreglass strips to seal the edges, and screws to hold it all.

Mungo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE