a short hike

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Since it didn't rain overnight, we went on a short hike this past Wednesday morning despite a sudden and heavy downpour. But fortunately, the rain lasted for less than 30 minutes, so off we go with my little 3 year old.

The trail was a little muddy and the rocks were slippery, so I made her hold hands, which saved her from several falls.

I guess the wet brought out the snails. These were some of the biggest that I have seen which shell lengths of 4-5 inches long and shell height of about 3 inches. Some French chef somewhere must be drooling.

We also saw some interesting fungus.

The trail goes through here.

The recent rains sure made these guys happy.

The strawberry guavas were plentiful, ripe and delicious. We picked a handful from various trees and soon I had a little bag of them. We munched on some as we went. When we got home, there was only about 2-3 dozen or so left. I saw a couple of guavas too, but they were over the side of the trail and I didn't feel like taking a chance of falling into the gorge. Forgot to take a picture, and missed them on the way out as my daughter was tired and done with hiking.

That was it for our little excursion.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
The worst day playing outside is almost always better than the best day working...well almost.

It is always good to play outside with my kids.

I can't wait for the weekend and our family camping trip.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hanzo,

I really look forward to your posts. Your pictures make mine fell...mundane I guess. Its an insight into another, very beautiful, world

More Please!

Red

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
British Red said:
Hanzo,

I really look forward to your posts. Your pictures make mine fell...mundane I guess. Its an insight into another, very beautiful, world

More Please!

Red

Be careful what you ask for Red, you just might get it...

I can't wait for the weekend to come. We will be going camping again at our favorite family camping spot.

The ducks and geese come right up to you if you have bread for them to eat. I actually had to shoo them off my soon to be 3 year old. And if they allow hunting there, we would be set, except the game population would probably have long been wiped out. When I shoo'd the ducks and geese away, I could actually grab them. Then there are the pigs and chicken and fish. We'd be eating good without bringing our own grub. But alas...

This doesn't even come close to showing the duck population.

When they start coming, it looks kind of like this.

Then they get really plentiful when the feeding starts.

The fish are the same way. The fish are plentiful. These are not being fed. I just happened upon them. The bass are off shore, darker and harder to see so I didn't post that picture. But they were plentiful too.

Aw heck, this picture is not very clear and you can't see very well, but the dark spots are bass swimming around.

That's my oldest at our last camp.

My baby girl zonked out after a hard day's playing on our last camping trip.

A nice stream from an earlier hike.

Since my daughter is going to be home for the next couple of weeks on Spring Break, my wife has activities planned for almost every day with her friends and my daughter's friends. I am happy to be able to participate in about half of them, including our camping trip and a beach outing to name a few. Someone(s) somehwere(s?) cold is going to hate me for this, but you can blame it on Red...

Finally, how many of you can do this at the beach and not freeze? Or get arrested? :eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely pictures again Hanzo - thank you! That stream photo is a little slice of heaven!

As for the visit - I'd love to one day, it looks idyllic - in the mean time please keep treating us to these little virtual holidays - I do like seeing pictures of epoples walks, trips and environments! Not as good as being there but a lot better than never seeing it!

Thanks Hanzo

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE