A self sufficiency goal achieved....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now then young Jimmy Doherty reckoned he couldn't make white sugar in his barn its too complicated!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/how-sugar-is-refined/9210.html

Well, now, truly white sugar probably is, but after much head scratching and experimentation, it may not be possible to make white sugar, but a light tasty demerara sugar can be done.

Home grown, home refined sugar by British Red, on Flickr

Not only can it be done, but it could be done off grid and using only materials sourced on the homestead.

This particular challenge has been driving me nuts for a long time - and has been the source of multiple failed experiments. I feel a victory "dad dance" coming on

:dancer::dancer:

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh well it has to be done in a self sufficent way you see (because I'm nuts). It can be done though. I'll whack together a tutorial at some point - I have the photos. Just trying to cope with restoring another barn (rendering, fixing the sagging walls and replacing rotten doors and frames) whilst coping with a destroyed back at the moment :(

Ahh the good life is such a rest cure :)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Great work, Red!
Just make sure you don't go overboard. I'll ne making my first steps into the homesteading world shortly, since I now have a place to do it. I'll be checking your progress on several processes.
At least I will be having my own well, so that's a start...:rolleyes:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'd also be interested to see how it's done. Can you refine the juice easily to such a state that you could use it in wine making?

bttf.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fantastic!

Presumably if unused and stored properly the sugar will keep pretty much forever?

Yep, sugar is a natural preservative - hence its presence in jam, chutneys and sauces. It preserves the food as well as itself.

I'll do a write up at some point.

[I'd also be interested to see how it's done. Can you refine the juice easily to such a state that you could use it in wine making?

Absolutely you can - of course pressed grape requires no sugar, but for "country wines" such as my elderberry port, my intention would be to absolutely use our own sugar.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Nice one
I like the idea of then using that sugar in other produce you make
You will be growing Tea and Coffee next
Your having a lot of fun and keeping busy being "mad" aren't you?
I too would be interested in the process just out of interest not with the intention of doing it for real

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm struggling with the coffee plant to be honest - just not hot enough here. I am tempted to try tea though....it suits our climate well :)

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
I'm going to have a go at hot beding this Jan so I can get some veg early, if so as Ian says coffee may be possible. Do you have access to lots of frsh horse dung?

Si

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE