A really small archery set that works?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
I went through a phase when I shot thumb release exclusively for about five years. I still automatically curl my thumb around the string when I pick up a bow,no matter what kind.
There is always an open offer to come here for bow season if someone feels like it.
Jon R.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I don't wish to open the hunting with bow debate here again, but rather to address a point that hasn't been raised.

You asked about a bow that can be packed in your pack. This is easy enough, my take down hunter has a max length of 22" for the limb, the riser shorter still so easily packable. Another advantage of the take down bow being you are able to increase draw weights as you become more proficient/stronger with practice without having to buy a complete new bow. However the point I'd like to raise is that unless you are pretty short with small arms then your draw-length is likely to be 28-32 inches, depending on a variety of factors. Which means arrows of a similar length. Not something you can readily alter either. Arrow tube strapped to the outside of your pack I guess, but it is a big bulky thing.

Get yourself along to your nearest field archery club and have a go. It's a lot of fun!

Al

Hobbit on a String

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2009
Aberdeenshire (Turriff)
What about a mini rail-gun, not sure if our laws have banned that yet, but dont think there would be much left of your prey after it got hit with a slug of copper travelline at near on the speed of sound, and being super heated at least if you did have any left it would be cauterized for you.

S

skoper

like many things what isnt illegal in the UK, iv been moved out of the lake district for wild camping,, and im a responsible camper,,so the last ten years iv been going to Scotland,, where camping next to a lake is welcomed,,,

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
:lmao:
nah it's just annoying when you ask a simple question, and people make assumptions like "I'm a poacher", or "I don't know the law".

I guess it's the Nanny state that causes reaction like that!:rolleyes:

no, i like to think its more a case of looking after the people on here

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Blowpipe - very stealthy and very forgiving (ignoring the AAM version). The dart won't skip off leaves and twigs, and makes liitle disturbance if you miss. Coat with anti-zombie venom for extra effect, obviously...

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I believe there is a way to modify a standard slingshot to fire arrows, by mounting some kind of arrow rest between the forks of the slingshot. If I remember right the rest used is called a "whisker biscuit" or somesuch.

I imagine that under UK law it would be considered a bow, not a slingshot, but it could be worth looking in to.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I reckon you could make a wide limbed flat bow about as long as a walking stick, with a short draw, that had a high enough poundage to take small game. Ask a restaurant or butcher for venison sinew trimmings. If you can get that, scrape it, dry it and pound it into coarse threads. If you stick that to the back of your bow with hide glue, it'd be plenty strong. Fibreglass would work as a backing too. The challenge would be to learn to shoot it with a short draw and chest anchor point.

There's a fairly short bow here that is unbacked and draws 50lb.

http://www.woodlandarchery.com/prod10.htm

I agree that you'd be better off with a slingshot though, but that's not what you asked is it.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Chaps, and Skoper in particular ;) I reckon that in the year since this thread had its last post, the OP has probably either answered his question, or moved on to other things :D

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Chaps, and Skoper in particular ;) I reckon that in the year since this thread had its last post, the OP has probably either answered his question, or moved on to other things :D

Probably. It may be worth reminding the OP that it is still illegal to bow hunt in UK though!

:rolleyes:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Posts #12-#40.... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :You_Rock_

Awesome. This thread is gold, pure gold. Haven't enjoyed the "bows & the law" debate so much, ever. Someone-who-can could collect together all zombie-related bushcraft tips into one outstandingly useless but very entertaining sub-forum. And that would make me very happy. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE