A Rare Find

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I recently acquired a Pattern 58 feather and down sleeping bag. Surplus made in 1980 by the Chelsea Quilt Company. For those not familiar with a 58 it is feather and down with a waterproof(ish) base, bit on the heavy side but is a wonder in cold weather camping. It folds closed with toggles and rolls into the hood. Its best to keep it stored unrolled in a mesh bag.

When I opened the 58 the smell was, shall we say, 'fragrant'! In the bottom was a pair of fossilized green socks and tissues. Obviously this had belong to a testosterone laden chap in the past! The challenge was of course to clean the dam thing as apart from the socks, past occupants love life and the smell, it was in good condition.

4 dry cleaners later no one would go near it, I then came across this place. Launderette and Dry cleaning Center. Bilton Road, West London. The owner said no to a dry clean but said she could do an old school wash and tumble dry. Three days latter I get a text.

The service and the clean was remarkable, the 58 looked new, smelt wonderfully clean and the down was fully fluffed. All of the pockets were now fully expanded and feather packed. Warm as toast. All for the sum of £25 . Wonderful service. Highly recommended.

62 Bilton Rd, Perivale, Greenford UB6 7DH, United Kingdom

PS the cat hissed at the socks!

SandsnakesPattern 58.jpg

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That gonk bag deserves a war pension. Good lord.

Deserves more than that.

The right thing would be to set it upon a large pile of logs in a funeral Pyre fashion on a boat, set it on lake and then let the fire do what fire does best..

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
My 58 (of similar date) still works but it lost at least a season when I washed it.
It’sa great bag. I’m 6’+ and I can get undressed and dressed inside it. Hope it works well for you.

I’ve been looking for the manual for years. A local soldier tells me that there was one. One rule was never fold or roll it as you’ll crush it in the same places each time you pack. Just stuff it in head first and use the foot band to pull it out.

Challenge: get the crush bag caps to meet. Apparently it was possible. I wouldn’t though, too much risk of damage.

Enjoy!

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
My 58 (of similar date) still works but it lost at least a season when I washed it.
It’sa great bag. I’m 6’+ and I can get undressed and dressed inside it. Hope it works well for you.

I’ve been looking for the manual for years. A local soldier tells me that there was one. One rule was never fold or roll it as you’ll crush it in the same places each time you pack. Just stuff it in head first and use the foot band to pull it out.

Challenge: get the crush bag caps to meet. Apparently it was possible. I wouldn’t though, too much risk of damage.

Enjoy!
I think that the Launderette had it in the industrial dry for a couple of hours, the key being and industrial drier used for feather duvets.

Reactions: Pattree

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those sleeping bags, and feather quilts, dry really well in industrial tumble driers. They're so big that the bag/quilt just sort of floats around in the hot air, and the feathers fluff up beautifully :)

Reactions: sandsnakes

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex

Enjoy!
I think you are referring to the 90 patt bag, the 58 bag has a heavy water resistant base that you toggle together then roll into the sewn in bag at the hood end.
No separate stuff sack needed

Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE