A Question From The Un-Initiated :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Forgive my ignorance but, can anyone tell me please what is the use of the "tactical" or otherwise strobe seen on a lot of the more powerful torches.

I guess it would be useful as a "help me I am here" functions but I am sure it is not simply that.

ATB
A Curious Dave

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I think it's more eye catching and as a result can facilitate;

a) disco dancing among the RAF
b) a spontaneous congo by mountain rescue
c) photo synthetic epilipsy in your pursuers
d) imitation of the Bionic man type slow motion run, this helps stave off hypothermia
e) rescue

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think it's disorientation defence thing with the mil spec torches.

I always thought it was a power save option on civvy models, similar illumination but half the battery drain ?

Be interested to hear the proper answer though ....

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
No idea of the real reason, however a flashing light is easier to spot that one that isn't... not exactly tactical though.. :lmao:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If you flash a high powered light at some one you get the spots blurring there vision also they instantly loose the adapted night vision, its harder to judge where the holder of the torch is exactly, where as you behind the torch can see everything fine, Unless your epileptic!

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I don't know about the 'tactical' torches, but the cheapish ones I get from Deal Extreme have a flash/strobe setting which seems designed to give anyone a fit if they look at it for more than 5 seconds - or more likely they felt they had to put a flash mode on them but couldn't be bothered to get it right.
On the other hand, my Alpkit Gamma has a great flash mode which is actually useful.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
No idea of the real reason, however a flashing light is easier to spot that one that isn't... not exactly tactical though.. :lmao:

Yep, flashing lights are easier to spot - hence the flashing bike lights on the market. As for "Tactical" a marketing term to appeal to to Rambos amongst us...

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Seems to mean that the outside is black, innit

Often with a dodgy On Off button on the end so it knocks its self on in your pocket and runs the batteries down when you don't need it.:(

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
If you flash a high powered light at some one you get the spots blurring there vision also they instantly loose the adapted night vision, its harder to judge where the holder of the torch is exactly, where as you behind the torch can see everything fine, Unless your epileptic!

Now I thought of that one - and then tried it on my unsuspecting son (he's 17 so not tangible child abuse!)

He was dazzled by it, but then so was I! So much so that we ended up both blundering around, I wouldnt fancy using that as a "tactical" tactic! :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Now I thought of that one - and then tried it on my unsuspecting son (he's 17 so not tangible child abuse!)

He was dazzled by it, but then so was I! So much so that we ended up both blundering around, I wouldnt fancy using that as a "tactical" tactic! :)

Hahaha brilliant, poor lad, hope he wasnt mid brew at the time!

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
The Tactical use is two fold. One for rescue/or here I am mode. The Other is in urban or house ops, for blinding people when clearing houses. The disorientate people in the house/compound but mean you still can see everything you need to, most soldiers keep them strapped to the front of the rifle.

Stay low

Nov 8, 2010
Woodbridge, Suffolk
Hi guys, I work with the Apache Helicopters and we use strobes for a number of uses such as identifying friend or foe, identifying Pick ups / drop of points and for search and rescue. A flashing light is easier to see from the air, through fog / low cloud, is omnidirectional (360 degrees viewable) rather than a torch which is limited to where you point it and greatly increases battery life, for instance if your on a mountain and have an accident you can turn your strobe on and even if you lose conciousness your little friend will still be shouting ' i am here' for rescue for days. I must add that when we use them tactically we cover the flash with a Infra Red cover which makes it invisable to the human eye but still visable to us with Passive Night vision goggles / monocule. Sneaky beakies can place them on their helmets before battle so they can still be seen by supporting troops /aircraft/ drones so we can offer fire support to our guys whilst distinguishing them from the enemy. Hope this helps!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE