A question for the makers on here..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
hi there I’m looking a making a waxed canvas haversack ..similar to the ones sold on the pathfinder websites I have found a supplier of waxed canvas/oil cloth on eBay that is 595grms per liner meter and was wondering if this would be thick enough for a haversack that will be used as a day bag

Cheers

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
How wide is the material? You need to know the width and the length to work out the weight of it by area. It's usual for that stuff to be 150cm wide so a linear meter would be 1.5 square meters, off the top of my head that'd be about what we would call 16 oz. canvas, pretty heavy stuff. Work out how many meters it'd take to make the pack and you'll know how heavy it'll be when made up. The material used has to be strong enough for the job, obviously, but the design and construction are as important and done well will allow you to use fairly light stuff; the lighter you can make it the more comfortable in use.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Just spoke to the seller and he said he has a waxed canvas in 6oz ... would this be ok for a bag or would it be to light weight

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Agree with Macaroon, 6 oz too light and 16 oz way to heavy. 12 oz is about right for this. What kind of machine needles and theead are you using. You should use V69 bonded polyester thread as a minimum. Any questions feel free to pm me.

Atb

John

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Agree with Macaroon, 6 oz too light and 16 oz way to heavy. 12 oz is about right for this. What kind of machine needles and theead are you using. You should use V69 bonded polyester thread as a minimum. Any questions feel free to pm me.

Atb

John
To be honest I haven't even got a sewing machine yet lol my goal is to make acouple of canvas haversack and then maybe make my self a canvas bed roll. Most canvas bedroll I have seen aren't what I'm after so thought it better to make my own .. plus I like making stuff it passes the time while the wife has the soaps on lol

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Define "waxed". If you want to go the traditional route, get plain canvas of a suitable weight, make your pack, and then wax it. "Greenland" wax is (according to the recipe I use from Google) a 50/50 mix of beeswax and US paraffin wax. [I know that "paraffin" means "kerosene" in English English, but I don't know the English English word for Gulfwax(tm). (Nod to Sir Winston.) ] Language issues resolved, rub your Greenland wax into the finished pack/garment and then heat gently with your boot-sale hair drier. (Don't use swmbo's. Just...don't.) Use two coats if you like. Add an extra coat inside and outside of all seams. That is oilcloth.

I use it and find it works well for less than a deluge.

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Bedroll: I found a 9' x 12' canvas drop cloth at the local hardware store. Done. No grommets, no tie-outs, no tabs, nothing. I roll in a couple of really nice new wool blankets from a current manufacturer. I tie it up with 5-strand jute cord from a garden shop.

Sewing machine: yes, that will make your life simpler. You can, however, make a haversack of which you will be proud by double-needle stitching, by hand. It is not difficult and it is rather relaxing. Based on the photos of your leatherwork, Navek, you will do a superb job.

Reactions: Navek

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Bedroll: I found a 9' x 12' canvas drop cloth at the local hardware store. Done. No grommets, no tie-outs, no tabs, nothing. I roll in a couple of really nice new wool blankets from a current manufacturer. I tie it up with 5-strand jute cord from a garden shop.

Sewing machine: yes, that will make your life simpler. You can, however, make a haversack of which you will be proud by double-needle stitching, by hand. It is not difficult and it is rather relaxing. Based on the photos of your leatherwork, Navek, you will do a superb job.
Cheers for the reply , I have a wax jacket and have just finished making my self some wax up with the same recipe that you have stated for green land wax it's about £19 I've just made 3 blocks worth for £7

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE