A question about Trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
Does anyone know if these can be safely used for more than about 10/15 mins or so? I have had a look at their website and nothing is said about length of use recommendation?

Can anyone tell me how long they have used them for and maybe what they have cooked on them, I was thinking of getting one for someone for Christmas as they said they wanted one but i'd first like to get a little more information.

I know the burner and stand isn't exactly like a meth burning fondue kit but i have one of those and have happily used it for a good few hours with no disasters with many things in including boiling, and a meat oil fry fondue (which i know wont be used with the trangia but i was more using it as an example.) but the whole concept isnt far different as I have even used it to make pasta and rice when we had a power cut once and the bolognaise in the other.

Any stories of your trangia usage would be greatly appreciated.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have had groups using trangias for hours - with several refills of fuel per burner - with no problems ...so far!
As to what to cook - anything and everything that can be put in a pot to cook!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
A standard Trangia burner used in the Trangia winshield setup will burn full-on for about 30minutes on one filling of alcohol.
A single filling of the same burner will bring a pot of liquid to the boil, and then, with the addition of the simmer ring, simmer it for around 40 minutes.
With a single filling and using the simmer ring throughout, burn times of up to 90 minutes can be achieved.
If you use two standard burners in rotation; replacing empty with refilled as requisite, you can continue to use the apparatus indefinitely.
If using only a single burner, ensure that it is completely extinbuished & has cooled before attempting to refill it. As a rule, if you can comfortably remove the burner from the windshields with your bare hands, it will be cool enough to refill.
These times are approximate and can change according to cicumstances. ie. your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
Thank you, as I have done with my meth burner, buy two so they can continue using it. And the simmer ring which sounds like an excellent idea. So they come seperate or with the set?

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Trangia rock IMHO, only thing to say about them is to make sure when cooking the food covers the whole bottom of the pan. My wife was using one to heat up some samosas and melted a hole in the pan!

Also have a look on here about adding a drop of water to the meths to prevent sooting.

Sent from my HTC Dream using Tapatalk

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
Also for two people is it worth getting the 27 (which i think is the smaller one) or the 25 larger one incase their is more people and especially if they might want a bit more choice in limitations of cooking? ? Is there much size difference in total size of the kit, for example height and diameter? (not including pan sizes as they are stated on the site)

Thanks all for your help so far, some brilliantly useful advice. I have been convinced and will remember everything you tell me!

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Long time since I bought mine but, IIRC, if you buy the complete setup the simmer ring is included. You can buy the burner c/w simmer ring or the simmer ring on its own.

The 25 is taller and broader (all round bigger) than the 27 although the burner is the same for both. IMHO the 27 is a one-man outfit, for 2 or more go for the 25.

Last edited:

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
Has anyone ever used the multidisk? I just noticed this now, is it worth getting that as well? Also does anyone know wether it is worth getting the HA one over the standard? I know non stick is not what they want, remembering they hate it. but is the HA just a coating or is it a through thing? So much to consider but i now want one myself. :)

Last edited:

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
We bought ourselves a Multi-disc as soon as we saw it. It's useful and light, a nice addition to our old Trangia set.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've no personal experience of the hard anodised stuff but have heard favourable reports about it as a cooking surface (stuff doesn't readily stick), my 27 has the big pot & frypan in non-stick and the small pot in plain alu.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Does anyone know if these can be safely used for more than about 10/15 mins or so?

Within the limitations of having to refill with fuel every so often, I think you can use them continuously. I've used the Trangia burner for way longer than 15 minutes, probably getting on for an hour, with stops to refuel. Obviously you have to be careful with meths and a hot burner.

When I had a Trangia burner going in a hobo stove once, the heat reflected from the hobo made the burner heat up, which made it give more flame, which made the hobo hotter, which ... well you get the idea. After not very long the stove was glowing red hot. "Spectacular" I think was the word Shaggystu used. The burner suffered not at all. :campfire: :)

Also for two people is it worth getting the 27 (which i think is the smaller one) or the 25 larger one...

I haven't cooked with either but I'm told that the 25 is the larger and that it's worth getting especially if you might want to fit something like a Nova burner, as it's a lot easier with the larger Trangia.

Has anyone ever used the multidisk? I just noticed this now, is it worth getting that as well? Also does anyone know wether it is worth getting the HA one over the standard? I know non stick is not what they want, remembering they hate it...

I've never cooked with the multidisk nor with HA stuff but I love non-stick for camping, it's so very easy to wash up afterwards. You don't really need any detergent. You do have to be careful with it but it's well worth the effort IMHO. But at home I prefer cast iron. Maybe you'd better check if they hate non-stick only for home use!

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
I have tried several trangia type stoves
small trangia is bulky.
trangia copy ok but the same faults as a genuine one.
Swedish army type good with room inside for other stuff like tea bags, matches, etc.
Swedish army stainless is heavy but bullet proof.

not all burners are born equal trangia copy had bigger holes and burned better but not so long
Swedsh army burner is much bigger holds more fuel but there are different types, its pot luck wether you get a good one ,
I found a stanless burner that is good
I love my stove

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Love my Trangia. will agree with what has been said in as much as the 27 is pushing it really for two hungry people. have cooked alsorts on mine, virtually everything that i would usually cook at home - have even 'baked' cakes in it!

soon after buying mine, i upgraded the frying pan to the non stick one, which makes it a lot easier to cook bacon and eggs on :) have found the multi disk to be very useful at times too.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Another life-long Trangia fan here. I'm using the non-stick model 25 with kettle these days as I'm not too hung-up on weight. As others have said you can keep them running for hours. If you ever need a really big pot, you can get a billy the whole stove packs into too. Can be used on the trangia or open fire.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Yeah another Trangia fan here, I've used mine weekly since getting it a couple of months ago, It ain't shiny anymore lol, I got the 27-5ul with gas burner included, Cuts cooking times drastically Its a fierce little begger.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
eel how the hell did u bake a cake in it mate

small amount of water in bottom of pan, bring to boil

place simmer ring on to make flame as low as you can get it.

put your previously mixed up cake mixture into a couple of silicone muffin cases (i bought a 'tray' of six from poundland, and cut two off to fit nicely :))

place the muffin cases in the pan so they float on the water

put the lid on and leave for about half hour

that is how i did it and works well, but obviously the cakes wont brown.

one little tip, if intending to try this out in the field, is to buy a supermarket cheepy sponge cake mix, the one that costs about 20-30 pence, cut open the packet, add an egg and mix it in the bag before pouring some into the muffin cases. using this method you wont need to add the instructed water to the mix, as the steam created in the pan compensates for this.

I would guess that using larger pots would enable you to cook more cakes at a time.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Steaming rather than baking but the end product is pretty much the same. Sound thinking that man!
You can use the silicon bun 'tins' for poaching eggs too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE