A question about natural cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Everyone.

The recent post about nettle cordage got me thinking (dangerous I know :lmao: )

We have a species of nettle (Utricia incisa) which is commonly called stinging nettle or scrub nettles.

The leaves make a very tasty stir fry with garlic..
Nettlestirfry1.jpg

and when time is available, usefull fibre can be extracted from it.

However, as a general rule when I'm out in the bush and need cordage, I need it now. Plants that require preparation to provide useful fibre (like nettle & willow) take second fiddle to plants I can use straight away.

I guess I'm lucky in having a native Aussie plant like Lomandra longifolia...
HarvestingLamadra2.jpg

...that not only has an edible white growing base on each leaf....
SnackofLamadra1.jpg

....but also has strong enough fibres without treatment.
Banksidevegetation.jpg

....that can be split into thinner strips for thinner ropes if required...
Leavescanbesplit.jpg

...and is flexible enough the form a knot in the end to start platting....
Knottostart.jpg

....to form a three strand platted rope...
Threestrandplattedrope.jpg

....that is supple enough to form a granny knot...
Suppleenoughtoknot.jpg

....and strong enough to hold a fair weight....
Ropefromvegetation040.jpg

My question is, are there any plants in the Nth Hemisphere that can provide usefull cordage without prior treatment?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Kind regards
Mick

Last edited:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
You can use nettle fibres straight away if necessary, the same as willow bark but they are better if processed. You can make rope from grass that also requires no processing before it is ready to use.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Phil

How strong & durable are both Nettle, Willow & Grass without processing?

For example, would you be able to use them to tie together a couple of tripods and cross pieces to form the basis of a lean-to sheter that will withstand some wind?

Thanks for your answer (thumbs up)

Kind regards
Mick

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
G'day Phil

For example, would you be able to use them to tie together a couple of tripods and cross pieces to form the basis of a lean-to sheter that will withstand some wind?

Kind regards
Mick

The issue with using most fibres before processing is that they can become loose later on. Nettles are usually processed by removing the outer fibres and allowing them to dry or ret on the lawn for a while. Once you then twist them up the ply will remain tight as it has done any shrinking and you just moisten them before you start to twist them up. Willow bark is boiled in a solution of ash and the green outer bark scrapings to produce a very strong and flexible fibre that can supposedly be twisted into a cordage that can even be used for bow drill bow strings! Grass is twisted up in a similar fashion and a method can be seen in Graves' Bushcraft books. The way he shows is very rapid but trying to find other people interested in trying it out is a bit difficult! It'd be a good project for a meet, maybe make a rope swing from local grasses.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Honeysuckle bark is very good and easily gathered and converted into cordage.

I normally keep the outer bark for tinder and use the soft, slightly green inner bark, for my cordage though.

Obviously, this kills the plant but the amount of honeysuckle that grows in my "stomping ground", makes it a sustainable source of material.:)

The inner bark from Wych elm, makes good cordage straight from the tree too, easily strong enough to tie a lean to together etc but like most tree barks, is much better if processed.

R.B.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
G'day Phil

Kind regards
Mick

WIthout processing, nettle, willow and grass are very strong. However, experience shows that a little time and effort makes for a superior cordage from all of them.

The grasses you show we would more usually gather rushes. We have a huge variety here. The little field rush is pulled and twisted to make ropes that hold straw baskets together, the traditional kishie.
River rushes, the soft rush, is not only an excellent string maker but the heavier stems make superb lightweight baskets and hats.

Besides these plants, we would also. just for quickness, use ivy, bramble, sweetbriar, honeysuckle, clematis, hops, woodbine.
Trees also provide a great many options, hazel, willow, privet, chestnut, lime, small leaved lime, spruce roots, all make good cordages. Even unprocessed, just thin branches stripped off, it's usable stuff.

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Honeysuckle bark is very good and easily gathered and converted into cordage.

I normally keep the outer bark for tinder and use the soft, slightly green inner bark, for my cordage though.

Obviously, this kills the plant but the amount of honeysuckle that grows in my "stomping ground", makes it a sustainable source of material.:)

The inner bark from Wych elm, makes good cordage straight from the tree too, easily strong enough to tie a lean to together etc but like most tree barks, is much better if processed.

R.B.

Another vote for wych elm cordage. Very strong and quick to prepare.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE