A question about adzes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I have a small gutter adze that I use for hollowing out bowls that works really well for me.

I'm part way through a new bowl that I am making as a gift and a thought came to me that perhaps I could use the adze to shape the outside of the bowl as well.
I have seen this done with straight bladed adze (which in my mind is very similar to using an axe) but not not with a curved bladed tool.

I don't have any spare wood to test it out and just wondered if anyone here had tried this before with good results?

This is the bowl I'm in the process of making and am thinking of a concave shape to the sides.

98ef904fc642fcb1cb43665aab6d16af.jpg

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I'm less than half way to the pic in post#1 and not sure what to do next.
Never carved a feast dish.

At that stage I would say deepen the bowl as much as you can/want before madness sets in and try to finish the inside as much as you can (it's much easier when it's a big lump like this as you have the weight working with you).
The sky's the limit from then on, generally I would work down the angles on the handle sides then join in the sides of the bowl.

If I had been using something like my normal birch I could have made two bowls from this log but I was lucky enough to be given an abundance of fresh eucalyptus. Despite its reputation for checking its holding up well so far but it does grow very twisted and my first few test pieces proved that it won't be split like a normal log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've worked it organically, just heading in until I 'found' a surface of the bowl. Working with an adze you take a swing and remove a chip, so on such a big log I'd probably work it back from the corners a bit, then work around, reducing it all a bit, then take one area down a bit more until it felt like I was getting close to the right thickness.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
thanks. None of my 3 adzes are particularly useful for inside curves, it seems.
Best a big gouge and a mallet.

mrcharly: turned upside down to do the outside, handle ends first?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Depending on how adventurous your outside form is, if it has concave areas, the curved adze can actually be better for the essential stock removal stages, when you are finding the form. I do it that way, then go to hook knives or straight knives to remove the plough ridges so to speak. Try it out, nothing ventured nothing gained.....ps I had second thoughts about the eucalyptus wood (responded to one of your youtube vid's) once its dry, it finish cuts ok and loses that grubby grey look. A disaster on the lathe though, I made end grain vessels that eventually looked like clay pots that had been slapped about while they were still wet, really extreme shrink distortions:lmao:
Good luck with the next phase :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE