A purely hypothetical situation

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I had a hire car (landy in garage for repair after someone ran into it).

One very cold morning, wife and kids heading up from the mooring to go to school. I went ahead, started the car, then went to change out of my wellies. Got back to car 1 min later - doors are locked.

I'd not had a car with this moronic 'feature' before. Doors auto-lock less than a minute after the engine is started.

Elen Sentier

Super ingenious :). Was in this situation with a friend on Exmoor a few years back, she locked her keys into the car. Fortunately, we still had my car+kit so we camped out in my 1-person tent (we are "close" friends !!!) that night and got a lovely local man to let her back in in the morning. I always keep my keys in my trouser pocket (zipped!) as I'm fairly unlikely to go off without them on :rolleyes:. Both our cars are auto-locking, button on key, so we couldn't do your trick ... we did try!

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
Pick up stone or rock. Smash window. Drive home. Phone garage and book the car in to have the window repaired.
Or walk home and wait until wife gets home. Take a robbing for being forgetful. Then get a lift back to the car, Simples!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ok, two true stries, was at a boot sale, and youngest locked keys in my Toyota Hilux! Left daughter in charge of the stall, and used my diplomatic skills with surrounding booters, a lady said she was in the RAC, phoned them, we pretended we were husband and wife, the nice chap turned up and was in my truck in seconds.

Slightly more in line with Op's dilemma. A member on here (nameless, for fear of ridicule) Turned up to a meet on Dartmoor, and locked her keys in her Peugeot 306, came and got me, i bent some galvanised wire from the hedgeline, until it broke (careful, it gets blooming hot!) used my hands to lower the back window just enough (manual windows)
Used said wire to pop button, hey presto, professional car breaker, catastrophe averted in about 10 minutes.

Ivan...

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I locked my keys and phone in the back a panel van years ago, it had a 20mm MDF full bulkhead. 2 hours and a few blisters later, I'd managed to hack a hole through it with the spike off the headrest big enough to reach the handle.

Quite funny I thought that it happened in Barstead :)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Now you've told everyone that I'd done that, it was a few years ago, I thought you were not going to let on!!!!!!!

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
On a different hypothetical situation...where it is a key fob lock....and you are using mobile phones...

Phone the wife, get her to hold her fob up to the phone and press the button, while you hold your phone up to the car. I haven't tried this but was assured by a relative, that they had tried it and it works.

I was in the a similar situation to the hypothetical OP, rang (and joined the AA) thinking they would do something clever. He simply wedged the door open. I was less than impressed as the door never regained it's orginal shape and became a magnet for some local toerags, who bent it wide open on every passing.

Had I known then what I know now I would have put the back window in, and driven to the scrapyard, which would have been cheaper and better all round.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Dial the emergency services number and let them know that you've locked your keys in the car. Be sure to tell them that it's a hot day and you're worried about your wife's safety/health as she's trapped in the car.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. If she's in the boot, it might not be a good idea to call Em services. Unless you need police protection when she gets out.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Doesn't work if the phone is locked in the car with your keys.

Smashing a window on my wife's car would be semantically equivalent to committing suicide.

Hypothetically, my back-up plan would have been walk to the house at the bottom of the lane (they know me), and blag a use of their phone to fetermine whether the spare key was at home or with the wife in work. Then blag a lift to said key by promising money to cover fuel cost and inconvenience when they brought me back again.

Bit depressing that it takes longer to untwist the barbs off some barbed wire than it does to get into the locked car and open it with said wire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE