A plantain question.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I've saw various references to the uses of plantain on this and many other sites. I'm guessing these are refering to Greater Plantain, or do the other types have similar qualities? I've not saw any Greater Plantain around here, but quite a bit Ribwort.

Any thoughts or advice please?

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I know of two varieties with uses.
Plantago major is the one usually known as something like greater Plantain, common plantain or rattail. The leaves can be used as bandages (Ray Mears does this in a Tracks episode) the leaves can also be a salad green but you have to take the ribs out and they're meant to be bitter so it's a bit of a waste of time. The seeds are also edible - it's on my list when they're fully ripe.
Plantago lanceolata is another common one - it sends up cereal like heads which have a halo of tiny flowers on them. The leaves of this one are meant to be better as greens. It has the same properties as a plaster and is often used as an astringent tea.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Never used Plantain for Nettle stings. Will try it next time (which no doubt will be soon).

Usually I just crush a Nettle leaf quickly to a pulp and then rub it over the sting. The juice I find negates the sting quickly. My kids get stung regularly and it works a treat on them too.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Works great on mozzie bites too, takes the edge of the swelling and stops the itching. I usualy just crush a load up and try to keep it in place with a bit of cloth or my sleeve if its on my arm. It seems to be very cooling for some reason:confused:

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I had a real eye-opener in the south of Germany when my friend was "stung" by something when we were cycling to a friend of hers in a village on the shores of the Bodensee. The friend, Hilde, called The Witch by her husband due to her in-depth knowledge of traditional herbal folk remedies, went out to the roadside and returned with 6 or 8 "Spitzwegerich" leaves (I think that's "spitz = point; "weg" = path; something like - point-leaf beside the path), Plantago Lanceolata, or narrowleaf plantain.

By this time the "sting", which became instantly an angry red and was described as burning, convincing me it was a cleg bite (horse/gad fly), was inflamed, swollen and very nasty looking. Hilde said it was the bite of a Bremse (?), which I've ever since believed to be Deutsch for Cleg!

However, the crushed narrowleaf plantain was applied to the bite and I have to say that I've never witnessed anything like it, as the pain was relieved almost instantly and the swelling and inflamation subsided within half an hour.

Astonishing!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Thanks everyone. some great tips here. However I do still have a question, to which maybe the good folks who know much more about this sort of thing than I do can help with. Can you use any old Plantain for these tips etc, or must it be say Greater P. ?

Cheers,

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Personally, I use both as one. they both seem to contain the same properties and work wonders on any injury you may have. I've used the crushed leaf on bruises, cuts, bites, stings and even burns to great effect. It seems to be a neutral herb, so if you are hurt, try it and see what happens!

NB - not a medical practitioner or any kind of expert. Just passing on what I know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE