A plague on all your houses!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
It's not fair at all and disgusting we have alot of youth riders round my way & they ride bikes 3-man so that one can jump off to steal a bike untill they all have bikes . mine fell victim a few years back . They wreck the area and make taking the kids to the park dangerous. But the worst thing i've found is the police response. 1 they are not interested in phone calls warning them that they are tearing up the neigbourhood. 2 my cctv of the same group stealing from me and a neighbour was ignored and not taken .3 they're not chasing the riders because it puts them the thief at risk . And we have bike tracks they can go to yet it's more fun to terrorise mothers picking up kids from the school

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
It's not fair at all and disgusting we have alot of youth riders round my way & they ride bikes 3-man so that one can jump off to steal a bike untill they all have bikes . mine fell victim a few years back . They wreck the area and make taking the kids to the park dangerous. But the worst thing i've found is the police response. 1 they are not interested in phone calls warning them that they are tearing up the neigbourhood. 2 my cctv of the same group stealing from me and a neighbour was ignored and not taken .3 they're not chasing the riders because it puts them the thief at risk . And we have bike tracks they can go to yet it's more fun to terrorise mothers picking up kids from the school

thats just shocking, i have kicked and screamed till they took the footage and caught them

Ether through enforcement, education or leaving some areas to the bampots?

1 the police arnt interested 2 these people will just laugh at you when you try and educate them 3 they have areas but dont seem interested in using them

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
We just don't seem to have all this trouble here in Sandford, the Neighbourhood Watch are always on the ball and the local Police are lovely. I haven't seen a Crusty Juggler for months now.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
thats just shocking, i have kicked and screamed till they took the footage and caught them

1 the police arnt interested 2 these people will just laugh at you when you try and educate them 3 they have areas but dont seem interested in using them
1) Make them, 2)I mean at an early age, as to what's societally acceptable (though you'll always get bampots) and 3)Some honeypot areas may have to be left too them, but in time 1 & 2 may help push them there. But 1 is your best option. Legally.

bearbait

Mid-Wales also gets dirt bikers, although it doesn't seem as bad as you're experiencing Macaroon. They're even riding in the National Park here: part of one trail I use in the Black Mountains on Pen Rhos Dirion I reckon is now almost as wide as a motorway.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Of course, you wouldn't want to waste good Dyneema. ;)

Of course. It would be better to take a lesson from the marijuana farmers who use public land here to grow their crops (National or State Parks or Forests) They use thin, almost invisible monofilament to suspend treble hooks at eye level. Much more effective.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd be very interested to hear what others feel about this, so let's have your thoughts, please.

I'm with you - these people are selfish antisocial idiots - just like the same breed that ride mountain bikes on public footpaths.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
The people who ride in this fashion are nothing short of criminals. They are not in the same category as motocrossers, ABRs or off road bikers. They spoil it for those who ride legally.
I would guess that most of them have no licence, insurance, and they're bikes are not MOTed, and quite possibly stolen. They are a major threat to legal off road motorcycling.
I'm not really an off roader, but I have seen the tracks closed, events cancelled, and the legal riders harassed by the police, even in organised races, because of the complaints that arise from the actions of the illegal riders.
I wouldn't dare publish how I would stop them, but I'd be pretty certain not to leave any of my DNA or fingerprints around if I did stop them........
Best advice I can give, if you really are concerned about it, is get friendly with the legal mob, get on some offroad internet forums, and spread the story there. Those whom it affects the most are more likely to have some answers on how to stop it.
It's a sad state of affairs, but asking your local MP to give the plod a bit of a kick in the right direction, is likely to end with the perfectly legal biker getting his collar felt.
Be careful what you do, it's not the criminals that will suffer when the law gets involved.
It requires a concerted effort by the authoritys, not a couple of plod looking for a quick browny point.

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
As a off-road biker and mountain biker i am absolutely disgusted that some members are condoning the sort of behaviour they are, even as a joke it's disgusting.

We had a group of belligerent hikers shouting a few Sundays ago.
I had nipped back to the house and left the kids with a couple of shovels to adjust some of the ramps, we had been riding so they had on all their gear and where minding their business when the said group of hikers jumper over my wall (knocking several stones out of it as they did) and confronted my kids.

Seems that they took exception to my kids riding their bikes on my land.
Half a dozen grown hikers harassing a couple of 12 year old kids on private property for doing something perfectly legal and in a responsible way, guess that's what this country is coming to.

Needless to say they were quickly "ushered" off back to their footpath when i returned and it's unlikely we will hear from them again.
Their screaming and shouting really upset my daughter though

I do agree that irresponsible illegal off-roaders need to be dealt with, they need to be dealt with by the police not some cowardly random booby trap that's just as likely to get perfectly legal outdoors enthusiasts hurt.

Also worth remembering that not all off-road riders are illegal or irresponsible either.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
As a off-road biker and mountain biker i am absolutely disgusted that some members are condoning the sort of behaviour they are, even as a joke it's disgusting.

We had a group of belligerent hikers shouting a few Sundays ago.
I had nipped back to the house and left the kids with a couple of shovels to adjust some of the ramps, we had been riding so they had on all their gear and where minding their business when the said group of hikers jumper over my wall (knocking several stones out of it as they did) and confronted my kids.

Seems that they took exception to my kids riding their bikes on my land.
Half a dozen grown hikers harassing a couple of 12 year old kids on private property for doing something perfectly legal and in a responsible way, guess that's what this country is coming to.

Needless to say they were quickly "ushered" off back to their footpath when i returned and it's unlikely we will hear from them again.
Their screaming and shouting really upset my daughter though

I do agree that irresponsible illegal off-roaders need to be dealt with, they need to be dealt with by the police not some cowardly random booby trap that's just as likely to get perfectly legal outdoors enthusiasts hurt.

Also worth remembering that not all off-road riders are illegal or irresponsible either.

Irresponsible behaviour, especially where it damages other people's property, is always unacceptable, whoever causes it.

The complaint made in this thread are about illegal off-road bikes (usually motorbikes), and I don't think anyone has an issue with legal off-road activities.

I agree about the traps issue. Even in joke, it isn't best to be seen to be condoning such activities, as they are just as illegal as the annoying bikers.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Well well well......................I suppose I asked for this by requesting people's thoughts about the issues raised in the OP, but it's all gone a little vigilante and spread way off the said issues. All the talk of traps etc. is just stupid and irresponsible and would do nothing at all to remedy the situation; quite the opposite, probably! Whatever is wrong, however peed off I or any of us might be, no-one needs to be hurt or worse and I think it just detracts from constructive debate to re-act in this way, doesn't get us anywhere...................

While I'm "on one", I'd like to say that I've got no beef at all with pedal bikers, I've never had anything but pleasant dealings with those people and found them polite and interested in the land and wildlife around them.
They're human powered so quiet, and cause no damage on anything like the scale of the petrol heads, and I've yet to meet anybody else that has a problem with them.

I often find myself wishing that some of the responses on these threads were a little more measured and not just the first angry reaction that comes to mind, all those things have usually gone through the OP's mind at the time of the incident in question only to be dismissed as irrelevant and redundant notions..........It'd be nice if responders took the time to consider a little more before posting.......

All that said, each has the right to have their say, within the rules of the forum..................Thanks for all the replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE