A plague on all your houses!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I was up in one of my favourite bits of woodland today and had what has now become an annual nightmare: B1oody Moto-cross or whatever you call 'em these days. And not just a few, but in the course of half an hour there were in excess of thirty of them, tearing the place to shreds. There were obviously different groups of them, and they seemed to be competing with each other and not in a friendly way, a definite air of friction and very fast riding with no heed to me or the dog, it was as if we weren't there. These guys have their no. plates taped or covered with something and look as if they're renegades from a sci-fi movie.......................

Now I'm a live and let live kind of man and I've lobbied and fought for open and free access to the open spaces for all, and it's a principle which is very dear to me...............but these guys just destroy the place. When there's more than one of them, the leader hammers through the wettest bits he can find and the others have to fan out behind in order to have any visibility, and in the process they wreak havoc with the paths and tracks, rendering it impossible to walk there without getting seriously filthy and wet. There are narrow tracks through there which have today become waterlogged rutted ways which are now twenty to thirty feet wide, and the best of it is these will now be in that state henceforth; they will not dry out and the walkers and horseriders will now take a wide line to avoid having to plough through a foot or more of mud, exacerbating the situation even more. It's happened to a lot of the woodland hereabouts and it's a very sad and disheartening thing; places I've walked for over half a century changed dramatically and long term for the very short-lived buzz of a few of these guys
(I've never seen a woman present, but then how would I know?)

As soon as these people show up, the very first thing you know is that every living thing for a long way around is gone to ground so you're not going to see anything, won't even hear the birds for a while afterwards. Then the people with kids stop using the places as they don't want the dirt and hassle and the potential confrontation.

Am I alone in being provoked to such anger and dissappointment by this? Am I being unreasonable? I don't think so....................

I'd be very interested to hear what others feel about this, so let's have your thoughts, please.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
dont get any of that around here, its all forestry commission. we get a few green laners but they dont tend to ruin the places people walk, so nobody really minds

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Illegal off-road biking is a serious problem in South-east Wales. There are hillsides churned up, woodlands wrecked, and it is more hassle than it is worth to be a hillwalker between Pontypool and Abertillery on a Sunday - you get ridden at. I've had that happen to me along the towpath of the canal as well. :cussing:

My personal solution is a hunting season: 1st January to 31st December sounds about right :rolleyes:

Note that I have no problem with legal riding, motorised or otherwise, but the illegal stuff is the destructive stuff, and it just seems to be getting worse.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No you're not being unreasonable; they are trashing forest areas and it's an acknowledged problem. If the local byelaws are enforced though it does help control it.

We don't get much here, but the time a father and two brats confronted me on the lane path I was tempted to shove the blighter down the burnside :( I phoned the police instead, and they took to adding the path to their walking patrol route at times.
They're only supposed to be used off road on private land, so if they damage public land they can be liable for restitution.

It's one thing saying that kids want to play on motorbikes, but with that comes responsibility and courtesy; or it damned well should.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've spoken to the Police and many times to the Forestry Wales managers (informally) and am told by both that it's next to impossible to enforce the law and/or the bye-laws. I'm warned in no uncertain terms not to confront any of them as they are very agressive and have hurt people seriously in the past. The enforcement problem seems to be that they can ride away to places the cars can't get to, get under the tree cover and switch the machines off; can't be seen, nor heard, and they know that the resources to really go after them are just not available. There seems also to be some kind of gang-war thing going on 'twixt the boys from the Valleys and those who travel down here from the midlands and up from Bristol, and the violence is getting serious in some cases.....................

Sometimes I have the sickening feeling that the world I thought I knew something of has been stood on it's head and shaken badly; I'm afraid that for the first time ever, aaaaaaaai don't like much of what I see.....
What a terrible thing to think, let alone say!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I did put a lone guy on a scrambler bike in the canal once.

I stood aside as he roared up to me, as if I was just getting out of his way. Then just as he reached me I stepped suddenly forward and shouted "GET OFF THE TOWPATH!". He was so shocked and startled that he lost control and finished in the canal (very shallow, but muddy).

I didn't hang about to let him express his feelings after he climbed out.

But I wouldn't recommend trying it, as there is no guarantee it will work, or work out well for you.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would guess it would be down to the owner of the land to pursue any action. If it is publicly owned land then plenty of fuss to the local authorities and PD would get the best response. Tempting as it is to take personal action you are often out numbered. Any less "direct" action given the speed of the motorbikes will risk danger of serious injury.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
What happened near where we lived in Scotland on some land that bordered ours used to be a old quarry the bikers and quad bikers would turn up every Sunday, so the farmer who owned the land handed it over to a clay pigeon club who were to use it on Sundays, or could turn up during the week for a bit of practice, as if by magic the bikers never returned.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I

Am I alone in being provoked to such anger and dissappointment by this? Am I being unreasonable? I don't think so....................

I'd be very interested to hear what others feel about this, so let's have your thoughts, please.

I think Dyneema is the answer, just above pedestrian head height on a hill climb or descent! That's got to hurt!

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
What happened near where we lived in Scotland on some land that bordered ours used to be a old quarry the bikers and quad bikers would turn up every Sunday, so the farmer who owned the land handed it over to a clay pigeon club who were to use it on Sundays, or could turn up during the week for a bit of practice, as if by magic the bikers never returned.

i like that, inventive and non-confrontational

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I remember as a kid my father creating "obstacles" for them in the local woodland. Not sure if they ever worked or were a good idea really.

Did have a couple of mountain bikers once thought they could just ride downhill past us with little consideration, which was unwise as we were putting in steps and holding 6ft crowbars.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just saying as some ramblers near me got into grief for setting traps for legitimate mountain bikers 'cause they didn't want to share.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
This site wouldn't want us condoning illegal activities, and I'm not sure that the correct response to illegal off-roading is setting traps anyway.

Where I am it is mainly open moorland that is being churned up. What was formerly great walking country is now just a mass of ruts, and the tranquillity is non-existent due to the continuous roar of scrambler bike engines.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
An ex forester chum of mine bought some woodland when he retired and looked after it and was cool with folk having fun there, during the winter the horse riders were churning up some paths he'd but in at his expense. He asked nicely if the riders would take a different route and they told him to p**s off, so he just abandoned his lovely project. Not just bikers, ramblers make a heck of a mess on their mass excursions and generally have a bad attitude about sharing, there's room for us all if we're considerate. but offenders should be brought to task/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE