A nod of greeting to all

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardialus

May 13, 2005
Chesterfield
I found this site after many nights searching for the things I identify with as a person, many of my friends and family think I'm a bit strange in the fact that I feel strongly towards nature and show it the respect that it deserves.

I have been interested in this subject for a while now and have finally gathered the nerve to venture into it as a student.

As my profile says I live In Chesterfield, deep in the Peak District; I reckon this is where my feelings towards this subject stem from, and have spent many days and nights wandering the hills and downs that it has to offer. Yet I have always thought that there must be more than just walking from one end to the other.
I feel more at ease and a sense of calm belonging within the embrace of nature and so feel the need to understand nature more and how it's usefulness can be utilised.

Although if you saw me you might think that I was a gadget freak, as I do have some very nice shiny spangly electronic devices to help me out, I still feel the pull of learning the old ways in doing things, after all the batteries run out some time eh?

I think that this may be due to the fact that I am still lokking for that thing in my life which drives me to being who I am, and as I have always felt at home outdoors with nature hope that this may be the path for me to tread.

Greetings all!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Hello Bardialus, welcome to BCUK you sound like you are going to fit right in!
we are all students of the old ways here.. even if we do like the odd spangly electronic gizmo and sharp pointy thing! :D

enjoy....

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Mate, good to have you, it sounds like you've had some good experiences :D

If you've any questions feel free to ask, there's a huge amount of knowledge these people keep stored in their heads ;)

have a good one

Bardialus

May 13, 2005
Chesterfield
wow, thanks for the welcome. I didn't realise I'd get a response so quickly, I would like to think that I am in essence a child of nature. Albeit an untutored one, but that will change as to grow we must first learn.

Several of my friends think that things like Bushcraft and Woodlore are things of the past, but fail to see the fact that they are still skills that we could profit from in the now.

By preserving these things we keep the value of knowlege and in continuous learning build up a collection of things we can use to help if need be.

Its good to know that there are people in the world who can help with this and so I feel honoured to be within a group of people that can help.

Bardialus

May 13, 2005
Chesterfield
I fully intend to delve into the depths of the assorted knowledge that is here.

Unfotunately transport is a big problem, so I think a resource scavenger type of attitude might be the most viable option at the moment for me. Bit sad but I've never had the temptation to learn to drive, one more crazy person on the road is never a good thing I suppose.

Oh well time to get the boots on and walk those roads methinks. ;)

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
Welcome. I too enjoyed the warm and swift response to my introductory post. I hope you enjoy your time here.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Hello and welcome mate

The Anglo Saxons didn't see time as linear but cyclical. A view that holds that the past, the old ways and our ancestors are always with us. It's something I personally feel quite powerfully, especially when I'm out in the wild somewhere. These islands have an enormous presence.

Saying that, the bright shiney gadgets of the present are damn cool too. We live in the present but learn from the past. Can't see any reason why we can't have it all ;)

Bardialus

May 13, 2005
Chesterfield
cheers, Iam hoping to make the meet. Might be working tho, have to take money and jobs when they appear. Sometimes agency is great but then when you walk into a crappy office where youre the youngest by 30 odd years it takes some doing.

Anyhoo sounds like it should be good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE