A new Swedish army cooking system

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
That looks like a nice setup. Are they available to the general market?

I would guess that all the individual components are available to the general public.

edit

The alu pot looks like the Terra Weekender
Gas bnr is a Crux Lite
K&F are Optimus titware
Spoon also optitit - long for bitbags
Alco bnr looks like a Tran 28
I am in no doubt that a browse for a 1ltr titpot w/ lid will turn up an identical item from one of the popular sources

Last edited:

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Nice. This puts to bed the whole titanium argument for me. If it's good enough for the Swedish military, it's good enough for me.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Is it better than a jetboil

Yes & no. It's a lot more versatile than a Jetboil but it won't be as quick a boiler whichever pot/bnr combination is used.

I quite like the look of it although I'm not keen on the gas bnr set-up. It would be easy mods to make the Omnifuel more compact and also alcohol capable (I've done both myself) and it would enable all the common automotive fuels to be used if necessary. It would also obviate the need for two stoves; in fact it would use the same jet for the two intended fuels and would only need a jet change for burning petrol, paraffin & diesel. As it stands, though, it will do the job, it isn't as flimsy as it might appear and, as these things go, it will be reasonably cheap.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think the pot could be the primus pot that comes in a Ti kit with a Ti burner from Primus Japan. IIRC the handle of that has the kinked handle like that. I'm talking about the pot on the alky burner. it does look like a mini trangia but a little different in colour of the metal. It isn't the hi-gear one as that is darker but mine is kinda rippled surface.

The crux is pretty durable little stove and the one thing it is known for (apart from being light) is its a pretty efficient burner. They only have a 100g gas can. I have a very efficient Primus burner and can get about 6 or 7 day's worth of use out of a 100g Primus gas can. IMHO Primus has the best gas to use for efficiency. I am banging on about fuel efficiency as it is important the longer you are out there. An omnifuel burner might give many fuel options but if youur army is set up to supply gas canisters and meths to its soldiers to cook with then each 5 or 10% loss in efficiency of gas or meths burn that the omnifuel will have over the dedicated burners is likely to become significant over time. That is just my theory anyway.

Personally I wouldn't touch the mini trangia style stove with a barge pole. It has effectively no windshield so needs to be sheltered and the burner is inefficient. I'd like to see some army using things like Caldera cone and the primus eta stoves. Both high efficiency stoves for their fuel types.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Good points, Paul. I did wonder initially why they didn't utilise the Terra HE Weekend pot with the heat exchanger, but i think it would be too tall to fit the Titpot. I use the Primus Eta equivalent of the Terra HE Weekend and over the Crux it will give the Jetboil a run for its money. It is a very good combination. I have never used the Caldera system but have it on very good authority that it also is a superb bit of kit.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
swedish army always get good looking kit but are they actually active troops? never hear of them in any of the conflicts
must admit though this kit is just a bunch of current kit bundled together prefer their trangia set up to be honest

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
It seems to me that the new set-up gives a much faster boil-time than the old Swedish Army trangia set-up - in warm weather. But in every other situation it actually seems inferior to the old one; no windshield for the alcohol stove, no way to use as a billy-can over an open fire, much less stable, similar weight to the old set-up, less bullet-proof physically and more to go wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE