A new Swedish army cooking system

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Some interesting choices there, it's not for me either though.

I can't really see the need for two pots, if they really need two why not give them two titanium instead, it's much more durable than ally and usually lighter.

The long handled spoon is a good addition if they're eating out of rat packs most of the time.

Not sure a gas stove is that useful, but the Crux is pretty good as far as mini gas stoves go I suppose.

They mention that squaddies will pick and choose from the options depending on where they're heading, I think if it was me I'd go for the meths stove (although I'd swap it for a better model), the ti pot, fuel bottle and the windshield.

sdf234

Apr 18, 2009
Dixie
I think one reason they chose these burners was because they don't produce as much noise or light (a big consideration for soldiers). Just think how much light you produce when pre-heating a liquid fuel stove at night- and then it gets a bit noisy when its fired up (if its like most liquid fuel stoves mamufactured today). I think they might also not trust the soldiers very much with more dangerous fuels such as white gas. I think that might be one reason the US military went from solid fuel to flameless ration heaters, aside from the FRHs not producing any visible light. I think they also chose the Crux and alcohol burner because even together they are cheaper than a liquid fuel stove. If I could choose my own I would probably pick an Omnifuel. Then you could use just about any fuel you found. A soldier could burn diesel or gasoline if he had nothing else in an Omnifuel but he will have some trouble doing that in an Optimus Crux ;) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE