A New Sheath for My 40-Year Old Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Haggis

Nomad
A older fellow, who lives a few miles away, does leather work and I asked him to make a new sheath for my favorite old fixed blade knife. I told him I wanted noting fancy, don't put to much work into it, make it look like the sort of sheath a knife that cost $5.50 would have, AND to put my initials on it. This is what I got back. Just like the old sheath, nothing fancy, no pains taken to smooth the rough edges, the front, back, and welt of the sheath look like they were trimmed up by a Boy Scout in training, and I couldn't be more delighted. It's the perfect sheath for my old knife, tough, rough around the edges, and looks like something from a "Dime Store". The old man gave me a price, I gave him 20% extra, and we're both happy.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Looks good. Certainly suits the knife, which in itself is very nice, Stag handle is always sweet. One thing though. It needs riveting, much like your old sheath, so the blade doesn't come through the single line stitching. Get him to pop a couple in, he riveted the belt loop. I like it, very traditional.

Haggis

Nomad
The knife did cut through the old stitching, perhaps 25 or 30 years ago, and I put a "temporary" wrapping of duct tape on it. I didn't ask for the bear or the deer head, but the old fellow knows I'm an avid deer and bear hunter. I like the eagle on the press stud as well, given there are Bald Eagles nigh everywhere here from Spring to Fall. The whole of it does look very "old school" which both the knife and I happen to be I suppose,,, old school and not too polished.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
That sheath is stunning and the knife is a beauty, I feel like that sheath style is prone to be cut by the blade at the stitching don't you think

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Haggis

Nomad
That sheath is stunning and the knife is a beauty, I feel like that sheath style is prone to be cut by the blade at the stitching don't you think

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'm certain the stitching will be cut. The stitching on the old sheath was cut in spite of being riveted, and some of the stitching simply failed with age. Still, I have other knives, a bit older and a bit newer, with the same style sheath that are showing no signs of failing. I've had one of them 43 years years; it is not welted, yet the sheath is as sound today as the day I bought it. Most of my older sheaths are welted and they have not failed, the new sheath is welted as well. I think the welts help, I think that rivets help, but I think lining a sheath with thin sheet of brass might help more. The oldtimers spoke of it and wrote of it, yet one seldom sees it done.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice combo that, you must both be happy with the deal. It's nice having a new home for an old friend. Funny how some things are just right and you keep going back to them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE