A knife by any other name...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
hi tony,

i've got a couple of the fiskars badged axes. the big one has been (reluctantly) pressed into service as a sledge hammer. no problems. if anything the solid heads are more useable as a hammer than a traditional axe, no worries about distorting the eye.

cheers, and.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
New to this community, so late to this thead.

I own a Mears/Wood 'Woodlore' and a Bison 'Bushcraft'. I've had both for some time.

While they are designed for similar duty, they are different knives: both excellent in their own way. the 'Woodlore' is beefier and too heavy for comfortable day-long neck carry IMO. The 'Bushcraft' (Bison) is more compact and lighter round the neck. They're both good for tinder/kindling preparation and for green and seasoned timber whittling for shelter building, etc. Neither is absolutely ideal for game prep; fish filleting or fine slicing. The pointy puukko shape is also not ideal for skinning, but these knives will still manage adequately. Clearly the design emphasis was for these knives to be strong enough to stand up to the rigour's of wilderness living/survival unless stupidly abused.

All else being equal, a thinner blade is a weaker blade. There's no way it could be anything else. If you need to keep a blade strong enough to avoid accidental damage in a survival situation, it has to be stout enough. Inevitably this will be at some compromise to optimum slicing ability.

Some might suggest that the original 'Woodlore' is expensive, given its relatively simple design and materials of construction. However, with a waiting time well into 2004, the market doesn't seem to agree! Roger Harrington's knives have a slightly more rustic feel to them, but there is nothing wrong with the build quality. Since the 'Woodlore' is not offered with any variation (pace the new Wilkinson-made versions), it cannot be called a 'custom' knife. While Bison Bushcraft offers standard patterns, the customer can specify considerable variation at the time of ordering.

BTW, stainless steel will strike a Swedish Firesteel perfectly well, as my eleven year old young son can demonstrate all day long if you let him!

J

jake miles

I quite agree with garys commentsabout native people managing without expensive kit. Looking at all the various bushcraft sites one could be mistaken for thinking that bushcraft is the sole preserve of people with alot of spare cash to spend.In reality bushcraft should be the philosphy that an outdoorsman should be able to do everything for himself which includes improvising kit.For those not wanting to or able to spend alot of money, make do with what youve got and get out there and enjoy yourselves

M

murf

Hello
I was tempted to buy Ray Mears knife but the price tag got the better of me. I started off using Frosts Morea which was great and now i have smashed the plastic handle off and replaced it with a curly birch wooden one in the same style as Rays bushlore, and passed it onto my son. I now have a Helle Eggen which is great,easy to keep a good edge on and really good for all bushcraft skills. Except of corse the fire steel. But a really good all round knife and a good price as well. I have just started making knives and it is not as hard as it looks.
Cheers
Murf

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Gary said:
Speaking of having knives made and spending small fortunes upon them heres a thought for you all to play with.

A native living the kind of life we all study and play at doesn't have a £200 knife and he doesnt have access to knife makers either and yet he does survive - more over he does this daily.

Sometimes we all become a little to pre-occupied with kit and lose the true path we started out upon, the path to enjoying the outdoors. At the end of the day ask yourself what are you going to use the knife for - and if the answer is Sod all - Save your money and get a better sleeping bag or tent.

Wise words Gary! We should all take note!

Do we really need to re-design the simple Puuko? Can we really improve on a design thats the culmination of centuries of knife evolution? As for sparks, there are lots of ways to achieve them other than the back of your knife, half an inch of hacksaw blade will do it even better and no scars on your spine! Maybe Im a philistine anyway, I feel like I might as well be using a lighter if Im using a firesteel and theres not much fun in that for me, but thats just me.

What are we all going to do if we lose our firesteels and our £200+ knives? Stay indoors? ;)

Jason

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
murf said:
Hello
I was tempted to buy Ray Mears knife but the price tag got the better of me. I started off using Frosts Morea which was great and now i have smashed the plastic handle off and replaced it with a curly birch wooden one in the same style as Rays bushlore, and passed it onto my son. I now have a Helle Eggen which is great,easy to keep a good edge on and really good for all bushcraft skills. Except of corse the fire steel. But a really good all round knife and a good price as well. I have just started making knives and it is not as hard as it looks.
Cheers
Murf

Speaking of the Helle Eggen, read this....

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showpost.php?p=73941&postcount=36

M

murf

bit slow here in the channel islands. but it does make for good chat, now that his new series is in the tv.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I was thinking about that knife but since I tend to hit them hard I think I'll pass.

Lots of people sem to be a fan of the fallkniven F1, people have said here that they would like a knife a bit thinner then the woodlore yet the F1 is 0.18 inch or 4.5mm. Thats even thicker (0.5mm), does the edge profile mean it can get away from this. I am after one of these as there seems to be a lot off fuss and I like the look. I can cope with a knife thats poor at food prep though

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Hi Andy,
I have a Falk. F1 and a Woodlore. The full convex grind of the F1 does slightly out perform the Woodlore for food prep., though it's not a big difference.
I really like the F1 blade (solid VG10), takes and holds a good edge and has an excellent spine for fire steels and general scraping (not sure how well the newer laminate blades hold up on this count).
My only problem with the F1 for bushcraft is the handle. It's quite squarish and heavily chequered - great grip for short use - but tends to produce hot spots during prolonged heavy carving. I haven't experienced this with the smooth handled Woodlore.
Then again, perhaps I just need to toughen up :lol:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've got big hands so I think I should be ok. The woodlore handle has always seemed a bit small for me.

I don't like the lok of the bison bushcraft knife. I found my mora can lack a bit of blade length so I'd rather something with a 4 to 4.5inch blade. Knives with really short blades but big handles just don't look right to me. I just think the F1 and the woodlore look right.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Leon said:
My only problem with the F1 for bushcraft is the handle. It's quite squarish and heavily chequered - great grip for short use - but tends to produce hot spots during prolonged heavy carving. I haven't experienced this with the smooth handled Woodlore.
Then again, perhaps I just need to toughen up :lol:

Chequered Kraton etc. gives a secure grip but does tend to cause blisters with hard even slightly prolonged use. You might look at the F1 with the green Micarta handle (less than an Alan Wood Woodlore), or consider having a Fallkniven blade custom handled. This guy does some interesting stuff Gerd Jorgensen

Burnt Ash

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Martyn said:
Thanks for all the feedback on this topic. I've asked Alan Wood to make me a knife similar, but not the same as the woodlore, based on much of the feedback. Thanks.

fancy giving us a review and some pics then martyn?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
as this is an old thread. a few people now have the knife (5iirc)
here is the review
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4350
and another photo that I'm hosting for somebody else (forget who but they are lucky)
MyBushcrafter.jpg

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
As you may know i got my bison today. Its a great knife and i would highly recomend it, havent field tested it yet, hopefuly will do this weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE