A hunters lean-to.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
I have made a few for my scouting troop.

In recent years they ahve all been discarded and replaced by a much simpler designed (and more durable as well as combineable) tarp-like piece of kit, that enables us to use them alone as a one-man shelter, or in two's or threes as a group-shelter, lean-to, tent-like structure and what not.

I'll try to dig forth the designs i have made for it, if thats of interest to you

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I had this particular one made for me in a trade a while back, it was quite well made, but I ended up not getting on with it and turned it recently into an normal rectangular tarp. I find that much more useful personally.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Well it might be my imagination tricking me, however in practical use, i do find this design to be very simple, durable, leightweight (as to that it can be divided) not to mention fairly easy to make and maintain. (And it looks good aswell)

I have added some discription to the scan only for you english-speaking users. (arent i a nice chap :D ) (edit: Allthough the text is very small :11doh: )

it does have quite a few years on the back this design, but it works brilliantly, and with a bit of fiddling about over time, you'll figure out a way to make inlays to render it possible to combine them even further.
I have seen the "true" version of this, been put together in a snail-like structure, where the individual tarps where standing upright. That structure was expandable endlessly, thus giving room for everything you would want, so possibilities are definately there ;)

Bivuak-tarp.jpg

J

Jimcatt

Lol, thanks guys, I have this thing about shelters having walls, yet find small (2-3man) tents claustrophobic, so this looked a good compromise, with the thought of adding a groundsheet and net front, a 50/50 tent/tarp kind of thing.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
I can imagine. Wich is why i use a normal tarp, or the design i have postet.

I never let both sides go down to the ground, and on the design i have postet, i generally leave out one of the sides.

I know that in Finland, those lean-to huntershelters are very used. I have tryed it out many times, never quite found it to my liking, mainly due to the windeffects on such a shelter, and that it isn't easy closing it in very cold conditions. (Lets face it. Denmark is essentially an island, when it comes to wind and weather, thus very windy.)

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
DKW, your pattern looks very like the American military's shelter-half.

Are any of you familiar with the German Zeltbahn? It's a triangle of canvas that can be worn as a poncho, or buttoned together with others in a variety of configurations.

I have several shelter-halves and several Zeltbahn's as well as a variety of traditional civilian canvas tents, and enjoy using and comparing them. I've posted pics and descriptions here:

http://oblio13.blogspot.com/

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
DKW, your pattern looks very like the American military's shelter-half.

Are any of you familiar with the German Zeltbahn? It's a triangle of canvas that can be worn as a poncho, or buttoned together with others in a variety of configurations.

I don't know if it does. It wouldn't surprise me though, as to that i took the liberty of more or less copying a set-up i saw once.

Nice blog you have there, i can't seem to find pictures of the american militarys shelter-halfs. :confused:

The german Zelt-bahn i'm familiar with, works great, allthough i do find it to be quite "leaky" in hard rain and wind, due to all the connections between the triangles.
The good thing though is, that you can make it as large as you want, all you need is more triangles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE